    do I empty out whatever is in the virtual memory so that I can get my system
    back
    on track?

    ron, Apr 28, 2009

  2. ron

    Malke Guest

    ron wrote:

    > Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I had
    > some
    > problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've now fixed.
    > But
    > now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I have windows xp.) My
    > virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5 times RAM, I've tried the
    > disk
    > cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've restarted but it hasn't helped.
    > How do I empty out whatever is in the virtual memory so that I can get my
    > system back
    > on track?

    What was the program you downloaded (installed?)? Could it have been
    malware? Be sure the computer is clean:

    Set Windows to manage its own virtual memory. Make sure you click "Set".

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Apr 28, 2009

  3. ron

    Twayne Guest

    ron wrote:
    > Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I
    > had some problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've
    > now fixed. But now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I
    > have windows xp.) My virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5
    > times RAM, I've tried the disk cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've
    > restarted but it hasn't helped. How do I empty out whatever is in
    > the virtual memory so that I can get my system back
    > on track?

    It would appear that the program contained malware and one of the things
    it did was turn off your virtual memory: Have you checked it since the
    problem?

    Either way, set it to OFF, do a Restart, and then set it to System
    Manage Size and do another Restart. Unless there is still some malware
    floating around that should take care of it.

    Your last sentence is a little confusing: do you mean you don't HAVE any
    virtual memory, as in it doesn't exist, or that virtual memory is full?
    Virtual memory in the context you're using it seems to mean pagefile,
    right? If that's the case, you need to provide better detail so you'll
    get a better targeted response to your query. How much RAM, size of
    pagefile, pagefule used, etc., and how is it manifesting itself as a
    problem?
    You might just have a normal situation there.

    HTH,

    Twayne

    Twayne, Apr 28, 2009
  4. "ron" <> wrote in message

    > Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I had

    some
    > problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've now fixed.

    But
    > now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I have windows xp.) My
    > virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5 times RAM, I've tried the

    disk
    > cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've restarted but it hasn't helped.

    How
    > do I empty out whatever is in the virtual memory so that I can get my

    system
    > back on track?

    Virtual memory has filename WIN386.SWP.
    We do not normally need to "empty" it. If you are in
    doubt, this file can be DELeted via DOS and a new one
    is created on reboot (in an intact WinXP system i.e.
    not misconfigured by malware.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Apr 28, 2009
  5. ron

    ron Guest

    When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for selected
    drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the system
    recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages saying "out
    of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual memory" as
    0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual memory.

    ron, Apr 28, 2009
  6. "ron" <> wrote in message
    > When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
    > selected
    > drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the
    > system
    > recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages saying
    > "out
    > of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual memory"
    > as
    > 0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual memory.

    Set it to system managed and see what happens..

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

    Mike Hall - MVP, Apr 28, 2009
  7. ron

    Jim Guest

    "ron" <> wrote in message
    > When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
    > selected
    > drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the
    > system
    > recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages saying
    > "out
    > of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual memory"
    > as
    > 0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual memory.
    >
    > "Twayne" wrote:
    >
    >> ron wrote:
    >> > Until recently my virtual memory has been working fine. But then I
    >> > had some problems with my pc after I downloaded a program, which I've
    >> > now fixed. But now my system says that I have 0 virtual memory. (I
    >> > have windows xp.) My virtual memory is set to the recommended 1.5
    >> > times RAM, I've tried the disk cleaner and the defragmenter, and I've
    >> > restarted but it hasn't helped. How do I empty out whatever is in
    >> > the virtual memory so that I can get my system back
    >> > on track?

    >> It would appear that the program contained malware and one of the things
    >> it did was turn off your virtual memory: Have you checked it since the
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> Either way, set it to OFF, do a Restart, and then set it to System
    >> Manage Size and do another Restart. Unless there is still some malware
    >> floating around that should take care of it.
    >>
    >> Your last sentence is a little confusing: do you mean you don't HAVE any
    >> virtual memory, as in it doesn't exist, or that virtual memory is full?
    >> Virtual memory in the context you're using it seems to mean pagefile,
    >> right? If that's the case, you need to provide better detail so you'll
    >> get a better targeted response to your query. How much RAM, size of
    >> pagefile, pagefule used, etc., and how is it manifesting itself as a
    >> problem?
    >> You might just have a normal situation there.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Twayne

    It seems to me that the best explanation of your condition is that the
    pagefile is not big enough and cannot be expanded. I would set the pagefile
    size to be "system managed" and watch it to see how big it gets.

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 28, 2009
  8. ron

    Twayne Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > "ron" <> wrote in message
    >> When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
    >> selected
    >> drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size, which is the
    >> system
    >> recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm getting messages
    >> saying "out
    >> of memory" and when I check the system it shows "available virtual
    >> memory" as
    >> 0%. So that's why I think there's a problem with the virtual
    >> memory.

    Well ... that does sound suspicious, I admit. With a Gig of system RAM,
    I wouldn't expect to see all the pagefile used unless you're running
    some highly RAM intensive programs. It sounds like it's that way all the
    time though, right?

    You didn't indicate you set the pagefile off, restarted and then turned
    it back on and set it to system managed size. I'd almost bet you money
    that changes the numbers and will unlock whatever is holding it so it
    appears full. I've seen that happen before. I used to also delete the
    pagefile file itself while it was turned off, but it turned out that
    wasn't necessary.

    With the settings you currently have, you will never see a pagefile size
    of less than 1.509 Gig because that's always the size it will be. You
    might see more however, because windows XP will tell you it's going to
    do it, and then upsize the amount available to the pagefile. In fact,
    you can turn the pagefile off and windows will still create a pagefile
    as it needs it and giving you the appropriate error messages.
    Since you haven't said anything about it getting bigger, I'm betting
    it's actually little used and simply not being reported correctly right
    now.
    Be cautious about reading % left, available, etc.; sometimes they are
    phrased strangely and don't mean what a quick glance might tell you.

    Besides trying the restarts I mentioned, you might also download a 3rd
    party pagefile monitor. Sysinternals, now part of MS, used to have one
    I liked.

    Another possibility that comes to mind is a RAM problem - are you sure
    the full Gig of RAM is available to the system? An improperly seated
    RAM stick or just bad RAM could be at work too.

    IMO, without having run the Restarts and having those results and
    perhaps the results of a pagefil monitor, and some assurance that RAM is
    OK, I don't think I have much else to offer for lack of a control point.
    Perhaps someone else might, though.

    How many physical drives and logical drives are there on each physical
    drive?
    Does it matter what program/s are running?
    Does it happen with no ram intensive apps running? In other words is it
    like that all the time?

    Interesting if nothign else right now.

    HTH,

    Twayne

    Twayne, Apr 28, 2009
  9. ron

    Gerry Guest

    Ron

    What is the CPU and how much RAM does the computer have? Right click on
    the My Computer icon on ther Desktop and select Properties to get this
    information.

    Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
    Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

    I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report . Open Disk
    Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and click on Save
    As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder and post a
    copy. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more
    informative.

    Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp to Empty
    your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Also select Start, All
    Programs, accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp, More Options, System
    Restore and remove all but the latest System Restore point. Run Disk
    Defragmenter.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Apr 28, 2009
  10. ron

    Gerry Guest

    Taking a trip down memory lane Don?

    Virtual memory in Windows XP is pagefile.sys.

    --

    Gerry
    ~~~~

    Gerry, Apr 29, 2009
  11. ron

    Olórin Guest

    Perhaps some pruning of your boilerplate needed, Gerry? :)

    Gerry wrote:
    > Ron
    >
    > What is the CPU and how much RAM does the computer have? Right click
    > on the My Computer icon on ther Desktop and select Properties to get this
    > information.

    "...the system recommended size for my size RAM (1GB)."

    <snip>

    > I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report .

    I'm curious as to why?

    <snip>

    > Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp
    > to Empty your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Also
    > select Start, All Programs, accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp,
    > More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest System
    > Restore point. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    "...I've tried the disk cleaner and the defragmenter..."

    > ron wrote:
    >> When I go into the control panel and check the "Paging File size for
    >> selected drive" it shows 1509 MB as my minimum and maximum size,
    >> which is the system recommended size for my size RAM (1GB). But I'm
    >> getting messages saying "out of memory" and when I check the system
    >> it shows "available virtual memory" as 0%. So that's why I think
    >> there's a problem with the virtual memory.

    <snip>

    Olórin, Apr 29, 2009
  12. ron

    Gerry Guest

    Olorin

    Inline

    Olórin wrote:
    > Perhaps some pruning of your boilerplate needed, Gerry? :)

    Not really. It's not overlong. BTW it is not a boilerplate. They are
    standard phrases (plural) I use, which have been combined for the purpose of
    the particular problem being experienced!

    > Gerry wrote:
    >> Ron
    >>
    >> What is the CPU and how much RAM does the computer have? Right click
    >> on the My Computer icon on ther Desktop and select Properties to get
    >> this information.

    > "...the system recommended size for my size RAM (1GB)."

    A minor oversight but it puts the reply puts all the relevant information
    together for comparison.

    > <snip>
    >
    >> I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report .

    > I'm curious as to why?

    I prefer information not coloured by the users preconceived ideas. The
    question gets a lot of background system information in a readily understood
    format, which is easy for the other person to provide.

    > <snip>
    >
    >> Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp
    >> to Empty your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Also
    >> select Start, All Programs, accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp,
    >> More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest System
    >> Restore point. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    > "...I've tried the disk cleaner and the defragmenter..."

    You do not know which options the other persion used! "and remove all but
    the latest System Restore point" often makes a significant addition to
    available free disk space, which could be relevant to other persons problem.

    --

    Gerry
    ~~~~

    Gerry, Apr 29, 2009
  13. ron

    Daave Guest

    Gerry wrote:
    > Olorin
    >
    > Inline

    Hey! :)

    And the sig is at the bottom. Terry won't be bitching this time around.
    :)

    Daave, Apr 29, 2009
  14. ron

    Gerry Guest