    I had a problem with XP that gave a message "Windows could not be started because the c:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt". I went on to the Knowledge base and found Article 823614 and followed the instructions to remove and replace the "system" file. When I rebooted, Windows went in to its startup mode, flashed a blue screen and started rebooting.

    I next went to Knowledge Base and found article 307545 that discusses the new problem and gives advice how to fix it by replacing 5 hives of the the registry through the recovery console. When I started to go through that again, I went to the recovery console, selected Windows to start and now do not get any prompt. My computer is just hanging there without coming back with a prompt or curser.

    Can anybody help me with this problem, I can't use the recovery console without the prompt.

    Guest, Dec 23, 2003

    S.Sengupta Guest

    Hi,
    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
    it will be a good idea to repair XP:-
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    pronetworks.org

    S.Sengupta, Dec 23, 2003

    Thanks for trying to help but the Windows Repair would not work either. I got to the point that it starts searching for previous versions of MS Windows and then never comes back with any results

    I am just going to install a new harddrive and start over. I will make my old harddrive a slave so I can recover some of the data on it but I needed to upgrade the hard drive anywa

    Thanks again.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2003