    Thanks,
    Brigitte

    ---

    Brigitte J., May 23, 2004

  2. Brigitte J.

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
    Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
    Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
    to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
    registry's "Run" keys.

    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

    or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, May 23, 2004

    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

    Steve Parry [MVP], May 23, 2004
  4. Greetings --

    MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
    is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
    utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

    In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
    deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
    when Windows starts."

    To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
    folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
    also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
    Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
    Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
    any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
    from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
    out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
    have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
    also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
    unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
    happen as a result of each and every change.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    Bruce Chambers, May 24, 2004
  5. MSCONFIG is available for Win2K. Search for it at MSFT. It's a free
    download. I have it and use it.

    Walter Donavan, May 24, 2004
  6. Brigitte J.

    Brigitte J. Guest

    Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I found
    that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
    looking in the right places earlier.

    Brigitte

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > Hello group,
    > I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd done this

    > long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now and I
    > haven't had it crash once!!
    >
    > One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I want to
    > start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brigitte
    >

    > ---

    ---

    Brigitte J., May 24, 2004
  7. Brigitte J.

    Alias Guest

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote
    > Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I found
    > that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
    > looking in the right places earlier.
    >
    > Brigitte

    Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help file from
    a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

    Alias

    Alias, May 24, 2004
  8. Brigitte J.

    Brigitte J. Guest

    "Alias" <> wrote in message

    > "Brigitte J." <> wrote
    > > Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I found
    > > that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
    > > looking in the right places earlier.
    > >
    > > Brigitte

    > Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help file

    from
    > a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm
    >
    > Alias
    > >

    > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello group,
    > > > I recently upgraded to windows2000 from windows98se. I wish I'd done

    > this
    > > > long time ago. I love it! I've been using it for about a week now

    and
    > > > haven't had it crash once!!
    > > >
    > > > One question, though...How do I access and choose which programs I

    want
    > > > start at boot-up, like I used to do in win98 by running msconfig?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Brigitte
    > > >

    > > > ---

    > > ---

    When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive w/new
    install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.

    I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have come
    with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...

    I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked about
    it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way I'd
    done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for files
    and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Brigitte

    ---

    Brigitte J., May 24, 2004
  9. Brigitte J.

    Alias Guest

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote
    > > > Thanks all who replied to my question. Upon furhter inspection, I

    found
    > > > that msconfig.exe was indeed included in win2k. I guess I just wasn't
    > > > looking in the right places earlier.
    > > >
    > > > Brigitte

    > > Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help file

    > from
    > > a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm
    > >
    > > Alias
    > > >

    > > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    done
    > > this

    > and

    > want

    > > > ---

    > When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive w/new
    > install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.
    >
    > I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have come
    > with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...
    >
    > I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked

    about
    > it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way I'd
    > done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for

    files
    > and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help.
    >
    > Brigitte

    If it doesn't work when you type MSCONFIG in Run, then you don't really have
    it. Download it and put it where the page says to put it and you will be
    able to use it.

    Alias

    Alias, May 24, 2004
  10. Brigitte J.

    Brigitte J. Guest

    "Alias" <> wrote in message

    > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote

    > found

    wasn't

    > > > Um, it isn't included in W2K. You have to download it and the Help

    file
    > > from
    > > > a site like http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm
    > > >
    > > > Alias

    > done
    > > > this

    now
    > > and

    > > want

    > > When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive

    w/new
    > > install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.
    > >
    > > I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have come
    > > with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...
    > >
    > > I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked

    > about
    > > it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way I'd
    > > done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for

    > files
    > > and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.
    > >
    > > Thanks again for all your help.
    > >
    > > Brigitte

    > If it doesn't work when you type MSCONFIG in Run, then you don't really

    have
    > it. Download it and put it where the page says to put it and you will be
    > able to use it.
    >
    > Alias

    Then please explain how it is, when I go to C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe I
    get the program to work? Believe me, I don't understand it either.

    Brigitte

    ---

    Brigitte J., May 24, 2004
  11. Brigitte J.

    Alias Guest

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Alias" <> wrote in message

    > > found

    > wasn't

    > file
    > > > from

    > > done

    > now
    > > > and

    > > > want

    msconfig?

    > > > When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive

    > w/new
    > > > install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.
    > > >
    > > > I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have

    come
    > > > with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...
    > > >
    > > > I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked

    > > about
    > > > it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way

    I'd
    > > > done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for

    > > files
    > > > and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks again for all your help.
    > > >
    > > > Brigitte

    > > If it doesn't work when you type MSCONFIG in Run, then you don't really

    > have
    > > it. Download it and put it where the page says to put it and you will be
    > > able to use it.
    > >
    > > Alias

    > Then please explain how it is, when I go to C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe I
    > get the program to work? Believe me, I don't understand it either.
    >
    > Brigitte

    I have no idea. I don't have one on my computer with that path and I have
    Windows 2000 Professional just like you. Perhaps someone put it there for
    you?

    Alias

    Alias, May 24, 2004
  12. Brigitte J.

    Bob I Guest

    A clean install of Windows 2000 does NOT have a C:\Windows
    sub-directory. It installs to C:\WinNT. Therefore it was placed there by
    someone/something else.

    Bob I, May 24, 2004
  13. Brigitte J.

    Alias Guest

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Alias" <> wrote in message

    > > found

    > wasn't

    > file
    > > > from

    > > done

    > now
    > > > and

    > > > want

    msconfig?

    > > > When I did a search on my computer, which is a brand new hard drive

    > w/new
    > > > install of win2k, I found msconfig.exe.
    > > >
    > > > I've never downloaded the program, and it's there...so it must have

    come
    > > > with it...it's the only explanation I can think of...
    > > >
    > > > I hadn't searched for it this way before I came to the group and asked

    > > about
    > > > it. I'd just clicked on 'start, run, and typed in msconfig, the way

    I'd
    > > > done on win98se and nothing would happen. But when I did a search for

    > > files
    > > > and folders, I found it in C:\WINDOWS\VCM.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks again for all your help.
    > > >
    > > > Brigitte

    > > If it doesn't work when you type MSCONFIG in Run, then you don't really

    > have
    > > it. Download it and put it where the page says to put it and you will be
    > > able to use it.
    > >
    > > Alias

    > Then please explain how it is, when I go to C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe I
    > get the program to work? Believe me, I don't understand it either.
    >
    > Brigitte

    Perhaps you have a Win 98SE folder on your hard drive and that's where you
    found the MSCONFIG program? I would still download the other one, put it in
    the correct place and use it.

    Alias

    Alias, May 24, 2004
  14. Brigitte J.

    Brigitte J. Guest

    "Alias" <> wrote in message

    > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > > > found

    > > wasn't

    > > file

    I'd
    > > > done

    week
    > > now

    programs

    > msconfig?

    5/22/2004

    > > w/new

    > come

    asked
    > > > about

    > I'd

    for
    > > > files

    > > > If it doesn't work when you type MSCONFIG in Run, then you don't

    really
    > > have
    > > > it. Download it and put it where the page says to put it and you will

    be
    > > > able to use it.
    > > >
    > > > Alias

    > > Then please explain how it is, when I go to C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe

    > > get the program to work? Believe me, I don't understand it either.
    > >
    > > Brigitte

    > I have no idea. I don't have one on my computer with that path and I have
    > Windows 2000 Professional just like you. Perhaps someone put it there for
    > you?
    >
    > Alias

    I did the installation of win2k myself last week and no one but me has used
    this system since then.

    I purchased the hard drive and installed win98se on it, because my win2k pro
    disk had not yet arrived from the seller I'd purchased it from on ebay. I
    was under the assumption that everything from that installation was gone
    since i formatted the hard drive before I installed win2k onto it. Is this
    possible?

    Thanks,
    Brigitte

    ---

    Brigitte J., May 24, 2004
  15. Brigitte J.

    Alias Guest

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Alias" <> wrote in message

    inspection,

    just
    > > > wasn't

    Help
    > > > file

    > I'd

    > week
    > > > now

    > programs

    > > msconfig?

    > 5/22/2004

    5/23/2004

    drive
    > > > w/new

    have
    > > come

    > asked

    way
    > > I'd

    > for

    > really
    > > > have

    will
    > be

    > > > Then please explain how it is, when I go to

    C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe
    > > > get the program to work? Believe me, I don't understand it either.
    > > >
    > > > Brigitte

    > > I have no idea. I don't have one on my computer with that path and I

    have
    > > Windows 2000 Professional just like you. Perhaps someone put it there

    for
    > > you?
    > >
    > > Alias

    > I did the installation of win2k myself last week and no one but me has

    used
    > this system since then.
    >
    > I purchased the hard drive and installed win98se on it, because my win2k

    pro
    > disk had not yet arrived from the seller I'd purchased it from on ebay. I
    > was under the assumption that everything from that installation was gone
    > since i formatted the hard drive before I installed win2k onto it. Is

    this
    > possible?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brigitte

    I'm afraid I would have to look at your computer. The fact that W2K has no
    folder called "Windows" is very suspicious. I trust it has an WinNT folder?
    Did you do an upgrade or a clean install of W2K?

    Alias

    Alias, May 24, 2004
  16. Brigitte J.

    Alias Guest

    "Alias" <> wrote in message

    > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > inspection,

    > just

    > Help

    wish
    > > I'd

    > > week

    > > programs
    > > > msconfig?

    > > 5/22/2004

    > 5/23/2004

    > drive

    > have
    > > > come

    > > asked

    > way
    > > > I'd

    search
    > > for

    > > really

    > will
    > > be

    > C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe

    > > > I have no idea. I don't have one on my computer with that path and I

    > have
    > > > Windows 2000 Professional just like you. Perhaps someone put it there

    > for
    > > > you?
    > > >
    > > > Alias

    > > I did the installation of win2k myself last week and no one but me has

    > used
    > > this system since then.
    > >
    > > I purchased the hard drive and installed win98se on it, because my win2k

    > pro
    > > disk had not yet arrived from the seller I'd purchased it from on ebay.

    > > was under the assumption that everything from that installation was gone
    > > since i formatted the hard drive before I installed win2k onto it. Is

    > this
    > > possible?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Brigitte

    > I'm afraid I would have to look at your computer. The fact that W2K has no
    > folder called "Windows" is very suspicious. I trust it has an WinNT

    folder?
    > Did you do an upgrade or a clean install of W2K?
    >
    > Alias

    One more thing: does the MSCONFIG on your machine have the capability of
    going full screen? You see, the Win98 would but the WinXP won't.

    Alias

    Alias, May 24, 2004
  17. Or by someone who decided to call the install folder "Windows."

    Walter Donavan, May 24, 2004
  18. Brigitte J.

    Brigitte J. Guest

    "Alias" <> wrote in message

    > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > inspection,

    > just

    > Help

    wish
    > > I'd

    > > week

    > > programs
    > > > msconfig?

    > > 5/22/2004

    > 5/23/2004

    > drive

    > have
    > > > come

    > > asked

    > way
    > > > I'd

    search
    > > for

    > > really

    > will
    > > be

    > C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe

    > > > I have no idea. I don't have one on my computer with that path and I

    > have
    > > > Windows 2000 Professional just like you. Perhaps someone put it there

    > for
    > > > you?
    > > >
    > > > Alias

    > > I did the installation of win2k myself last week and no one but me has

    > used
    > > this system since then.
    > >
    > > I purchased the hard drive and installed win98se on it, because my win2k

    > pro
    > > disk had not yet arrived from the seller I'd purchased it from on ebay.

    > > was under the assumption that everything from that installation was gone
    > > since i formatted the hard drive before I installed win2k onto it. Is

    > this
    > > possible?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Brigitte

    > I'm afraid I would have to look at your computer. The fact that W2K has no
    > folder called "Windows" is very suspicious. I trust it has an WinNT

    folder?

    Yes, I have a WinNT folder.

    > Did you do an upgrade or a clean install of W2K?

    Clean install

    Brigitte

    ---

    Brigitte J., May 24, 2004
  19. Brigitte J.

    Brigitte J. Guest

    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    > > > 5/22/2004

    > > 5/23/2004

    > > drive

    > > have

    and
    > > > asked

    the
    > > way

    > search
    > > > for

    > > > really

    > > will
    > > > be

    > > C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe

    either.

    > > have

    there
    > > for

    > > > I did the installation of win2k myself last week and no one but me has

    > > used
    > > > this system since then.
    > > >
    > > > I purchased the hard drive and installed win98se on it, because my

    win2k
    > > pro
    > > > disk had not yet arrived from the seller I'd purchased it from on

    ebay.
    > > > was under the assumption that everything from that installation was

    gone
    > > > since i formatted the hard drive before I installed win2k onto it. Is

    > > this
    > > > possible?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Brigitte

    > > I'm afraid I would have to look at your computer. The fact that W2K has

    no
    > > folder called "Windows" is very suspicious. I trust it has an WinNT

    > folder?
    > > Did you do an upgrade or a clean install of W2K?
    > >
    > > Alias

    > One more thing: does the MSCONFIG on your machine have the capability of
    > going full screen?

    Yes, it will go full screen.

    >You see, the Win98 would but the WinXP won't.

    Not sure what winxp's capabilities have to do with my system. I've never
    had winxp, and hope that I'll never need to.

    Thanks,
    Brigitte

    ---

    Brigitte J., May 24, 2004
  20. Brigitte J.

    Alias Guest

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alias" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > > > inspection,

    > > > just

    > the
    > > > Help

    > > wish

    about

    which

    running

    > (http://www.grisoft.com).

    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    > > > 5/23/2004

    hard
    > > > drive

    must
    > > > have

    > and

    > the
    > > > way

    > > search

    don't

    you
    > > > will

    > > > C:\Windows\VCM\msconfig.exe

    > either.

    > > > have

    > there
    > > > for

    has
    > > > used

    > win2k
    > > > pro

    > ebay.

    > gone

    Is
    > > > this

    > > > I'm afraid I would have to look at your computer. The fact that W2K

    has
    > no
    > > > folder called "Windows" is very suspicious. I trust it has an WinNT

    > > folder?
    > > > Did you do an upgrade or a clean install of W2K?
    > > >
    > > > Alias

    > > One more thing: does the MSCONFIG on your machine have the capability of
    > > going full screen?

    > Yes, it will go full screen.
    >
    > >You see, the Win98 would but the WinXP won't.

    > Not sure what winxp's capabilities have to do with my system. I've never
    > had winxp, and hope that I'll never need to.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brigitte

    The one we are recommending you download is the XP MSCONFIG. You have
    somehow managed to get the Win98 MSCONFIG in some folder *somebody* or
    *something* put in your computer during the process of your clean install.
    You can use the Win 98 one but I am not sure where you should put it so it
    works from the Run command.

    Alias

    Alias, May 24, 2004