Windows XP No More Service Packs for XP 32-bit(x86) or 64-bit (x64)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Microsoft has reached the end of the road when it comes down to the evolution of Windows XP through major updates. Moving onward, the Redmond company will focus exclusively on Windows Vista and Windows 7 with service pack releases. Specifically, if you are running Windows XP and still hoping for an SP, then by all means, don’t hold your breath. Or, if you were indeed holding your breath, then this is about the right time to exhale and move beyond the aging operating system. Windows 7 is now just a few days short of one month away, seeing how general availability is planned for October 22nd, 2009.

No more service packs for Windows XP, what does it mean? It means that SP3 was the last service pack for 32-bit (x86) XP and the SP2 was the last major update for 64-bit (x64). Immediately after the availability of SP3 for x86 XP, Microsoft confirmed officially that it was the last service pack for Windows Vista’s precursor. However, a potential SP3 seemed to be in the cards as far as x64 XP was concerned.

In fact, this is not the case at all. Microsoft offered official confirmation of the fact that it was not, nor would it be in the future, developing a third service pack for 64-bit XP. “We have received inquiries from our customers and partners on whether or not there will be a need for a Service Pack 3 for Windows Server 2003. Microsoft will not have a SP3 release for Windows Server 2003,” revealed Crissy House, the Windows Server Operations manager at Microsoft.

Yes, I know that it says Windows Server 2003. But you see, Microsoft delivered service packs for 64-bit Windows XP concomitantly with the major updates for Windows Server 2003. It’s that simple. And back in mid-2007, the Redmond company made available for download SP2 for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP 64-bit Professional.

I contacted Microsoft on the matter, and here is what a spokesperson had to say to me: “Microsoft is not currently planning any additional service packs for Windows XP. We can also confirm that no future service packs are planned for Windows Server 2003.” In addition, earlier this year, I also had a chat with a Microsoft employee working on Windows 7, who confirmed that there was no work being done on a future service pack for Windows XP or Windows Server 2003.

Source

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up V_R. :thumb:

It's funny to think how old XP is now, and how is still available for sale in some new PCs. Although this will change the second Windows 7 is released.

Thankfully we've got until 2014 before security patches and hotfixes stop :)

Reaction score
2001 it was released wasn't it?

Thats a long time ago now.

Still prefer it to Vista which I have the lappy, not tried Windows 7 though. Might be better.

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
Still prefer it to Vista which I have the lappy, not tried Windows 7 though. Might be better.

I like it cause all my games I like play without hassle on XP...WHAT ??? Ya haven't tried W7 yet ?? Oh it is a million times better other than I can't get some games to play on it. And it don't like Rapid CSS/PhP...Been using the RC now since it first came out and I seriously can't complain about it..Tis a loverly OS :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
win 7 is truly fantastic, i've been dual booting with xp incase i need to swap. I aint touched XP in weeks lol.

I have Ultimate on preorder.

Reaction score
V_R said:
win 7 is truly fantastic, i've been dual booting with xp incase i need to swap. I aint touched XP in weeks lol.

I have Ultimate on preorder.

I wish I could get W7 and XPto dual, please share how you do it V_R...It would be most appreciated

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well tbh it isn't strictly dual booting, i have two hard disks and just change the boot drive in bios if i want to boot from xp. Then my docs on another dirve. That was i can feel free to break 7 and not worry! lol

Bit of a bad use of tech speak i guess. :)

Sorry to get your hopes up. :D

Reaction score
V_R said:
Well tbh it isn't strictly dual booting, i have two hard disks and just change the boot drive in bios if i want to boot from xp. Then my docs on another dirve. That was i can feel free to break 7 and not worry! lol

Bit of a bad use of tech speak i guess. :)

Sorry to get your hopes up. :D

OK thats how I do it, but every time I go back to W 7, just after POST I get the message something like can't access OS insert disk into...... And I insert my W7 recovery disk and goto recover start up problems or whatever it says....GAve up and started using Sun Virtualbox since then with no worries...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Odd, mine runs fine, three disks and two OS's FWIW. :)

Ask a Question