    Juan I. Cahis
    Santiago de Chile (South America)
    Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    Juan I. Cahis, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Juan I. Cahis

    John Barnes Guest

    Was this a clean install or upgrade? I had a similar problem with an
    upgrade. Clean install has had no problems.

    "Juan I. Cahis" <> wrote in message
    Dear friends:

    Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
    Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
    on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
    click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.

    The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
    that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
    stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
    the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
    and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
    even control-alt-del doesn't work.

    Any hint?

    Thanks

    John Barnes, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Right click the desk, view, show desktop icons.

    If that is already enabled, then there's another issue.

    Curtis

    Curtis D. Levin, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Juan I. Cahis

    Guest Guest

    "Juan I. Cahis" wrote:

    > Dear friends:
    >
    > Please help me to correct this problem: Every other time that I boot
    > Vista, I have an empty desktop with the wallpaper but without any icon
    > on it. Taskbar and toolbars in the desktop's bottom are OK, and if I
    > click the desktop, a "cloink" sound is heard.
    >
    > The taskbar and the toolbars work OK for five minutes or so. After
    > that, sometimes a message pops up telling that "Windows Explorer has
    > stopped working" and asking me if I want to restart it. If I accept
    > the proposition, all becomes OK. But sometimes, no message is issued
    > and the computer is blocked, and the only solution is to power off it,
    > even control-alt-del doesn't work.
    >
    > Any hint?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Juan I. Cahis
    > Santiago de Chile (South America)
    > Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it!

    Run > Regedit > Navigate to

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

    On The Right Pane >> "NoDesktop" > Value 0

    Guest, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Dear Curtis, if I click the desktop, left or right, I only hear the
    "cloink" and nothing happens.

    Juan I. Cahis, Aug 19, 2007
  6. Dear John, it is an upgrade. I bought my PC in November last year, and
    I received a free "Vista Upgrade DVD" from the manufacturer (Sony)
    some months after that, that allowed you only to upgrade, not to do a
    fresh install. You know the particularities of Microsoft licenses and
    eulas............

    Could you solve the problem?

    Juan I. Cahis, Aug 19, 2007
  7. Dear friend, should I only check if it is a "0" in that place of the
    Registry, or to change it to zero if it has any other value?

    Juan I. Cahis, Aug 19, 2007
  8. Juan I. Cahis

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry, but I gave up and did a clean install.

    John Barnes, Aug 19, 2007
  9. Juan I. Cahis

    Paul Randall Guest

    Have you looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932616?
    It says you can do a clean install with an upgrade CD by choosing custom
    install.

    A custom installation or clean installation of Windows Vista does not
    preserve the currently installed personal files, settings, and programs.
    Windows Vista is installed without third-party programs. You can perform a
    custom installation of Windows Vista by using either an upgrade license or a
    full product license. However, if you own an upgrade license, you must start
    the installation in the current version of Windows. At the installation
    choice menu, select Custom to perform this action.

    Paul Randall

    Paul Randall, Aug 19, 2007
  10. In other words, the value of zero in that key is the origin of the
    problem or its solution?

    Juan I. Cahis, Aug 19, 2007
  11. Should it be a "REG_DWORD"?

    Juan I. Cahis, Aug 20, 2007