    have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?

    Lindsay Graham
    Canberra, Australia

    Lindsay Graham, Jun 28, 2010

  2. Lindsay Graham

    123Jim Guest

    "Lindsay Graham" <> wrote in message
    news:%...

    > I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
    > long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
    > restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
    > intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
    > does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
    > to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.
    >
    > Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to have
    > any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?

    System restore overwrites older restore points based on the amount of disk
    space allocated for the system restore points.

    You say you have three months of system restore .. but you say: system
    restore does not work. Do you mean you can't restore your system to any of
    those three months of restore points? (I have seen this often enough - the
    solution is usually to restore in safe mode).

    If you can restore in safe mode but still find that your system is slow ..
    You need to look at things like: 1 - is your system malware free?, 2 - Which
    programs are starting when you boot up? (and which ones you don't need),
    - Do you need more RAM? 4 - Have you enough free disk space?

    123Jim, Jun 28, 2010

  3. 123Jim wrote on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:57:07 +0100:

    > "Lindsay Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years.
    >> A long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was
    >> told to do a system restore, but that never happened as I was
    >> then only using it intermittently. Now that I'm using it
    >> more regularly, hibernate still does not work and the
    >> computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down, to the
    >> point that it is now very frustrating to use.
    >>
    >> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not
    >> seem to have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >>

    > System restore overwrites older restore points based on the
    > amount of disk space allocated for the system restore points.

    That is a very important consideration and you can change the allocation
    if you think you don't have enough restore points.

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    James Silverton, Jun 28, 2010
  4. Lindsay Graham

    Unknown Guest

    When was last time you ran disk cleanup?

    Unknown, Jun 28, 2010
  5. Lindsay Graham

    Billns Guest

    On 6/28/2010 7:23 AM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
    > I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
    > long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
    > restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
    > intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
    > does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
    > to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.
    >
    > Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to
    > have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >
    > Lindsay Graham
    > Canberra, Australia

    I wouldn't trust system restore points that are three months old anyway.

    System Restore is not a panacea. Use a backup program, preferably to an
    external hard disk.

    Bill

    Billns, Jun 28, 2010
  6. On 29 Jun 2010 at 00:576, 123Jim wrote:
    > "Lindsay Graham" <> wrote in message
    >> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
    >> long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
    >> restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
    >> intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
    >> does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
    >> to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.
    >>
    >> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to have
    >> any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >>

    > System restore overwrites older restore points based on the amount of disk
    > space allocated for the system restore points.
    >
    > You say you have three months of system restore .. but you say: system
    > restore does not work. Do you mean you can't restore your system to any of
    > those three months of restore points? (I have seen this often enough - the
    > solution is usually to restore in safe mode).
    >
    > If you can restore in safe mode but still find that your system is slow ..
    > You need to look at things like: 1 - is your system malware free?, 2 - Which
    > programs are starting when you boot up? (and which ones you don't need),
    > - Do you need more RAM? 4 - Have you enough free disk space?

    I did not say system restore does not work -- I've never tried to do a
    system restore, but I now want to. If system restore will solve the
    hibernation problem, then presumably I would need a system restore point
    that predates the emergence of that problem, which was much more than 3
    months ago. Is there any other way of accessing system restore points
    older than those shown?

    1. I believe my system to be malware free.
    2. No programs (at least no visible ones) start when I boot up.
    3. I don't think I need more RAM (the netbook came with 1GB, and I
    doubt it would be possible to install more).
    4. Yes -- C:\ drive has 51GB free, D:\ drive has 22GB free.

    Lindsay Graham

    Lindsay Graham, Jun 29, 2010
  7. On 29 Jun at 1:26, James Silverton wrote:
    > 123Jim wrote on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:57:07 +0100:
    >

    >> "Lindsay Graham" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years.
    >>> A long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was
    >>> told to do a system restore, but that never happened as I was
    >>> then only using it intermittently. Now that I'm using it
    >>> more regularly, hibernate still does not work and the
    >>> computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down, to the
    >>> point that it is now very frustrating to use.
    >>>
    >>> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not
    >>> seem to have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >>>

    >> System restore overwrites older restore points based on the
    >> amount of disk space allocated for the system restore points.

    > That is a very important consideration and you can change the allocation
    > if you think you don't have enough restore points.

    Yes, but that does not seem to help my current problem. It's not that I
    don't have enough, I don't have any that are more than 3 months ago.

    Lindsay Graham

    Lindsay Graham, Jun 29, 2010
  8. On 29 Jun 2010 at 05:56, Billns wrote:
    > On 6/28/2010 7:23 AM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
    >> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
    >> long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
    >> restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
    >> intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
    >> does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
    >> to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.
    >>
    >> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to
    >> have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >>
    >> Lindsay Graham
    >> Canberra, Australia

    > I wouldn't trust system restore points that are three months old anyway.
    >
    > System Restore is not a panacea. Use a backup program, preferably to an
    > external hard disk.
    >
    > Bill

    Why would you not trust older system restore points?

    I backup regularly to an external hard disk. But how is that relevant
    to my question?

    Lindsay Graham

    Lindsay Graham, Jun 29, 2010
  9. Lindsay Graham wrote:
    > I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2
    > years. A long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to
    > do a system restore, but that never happened as I was then only
    > using it intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly,
    > hibernate still does not work and the computer is gradually but
    > inexorably slowing down, to the point that it is now very
    > frustrating to use.
    > Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem
    > to have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >
    > Lindsay Graham
    > Canberra, Australia

    Having read the other responses and your responses to some of them - and
    knowing what a System Restore Point will have in it - I can tell you that if
    you need one that is 3+ months old - it's too late and you are better off
    fixing the problem as opposed to trying to restore to that point. To me -
    especially in XP - a few days restore should be more than enough. Anything
    beyond that it is better to diagnose and reolve the issue in another manner.

    Why - you might ask - do I feel this way?

    System Restore is not a cure-all and it only backs up the *system* files.
    Your files - the ones that most people actually care about and truly the
    only ones that matter since the others should be reproducable on a multitude
    of other systems over and over without a single backup - system restore
    could care less about (although it can devestate those if stored in
    particular areas as well.)

    So - System Restore should be used sparingly - and after 3 months - so many
    changes have probably been made (applications updated, system files (DLLs
    and the likes) updated by Microsoft, registry entries for applications
    installed, uninstalled, updated and such modified/removed/added that a
    System Restore Point that old would likely cause more stuff to fail while
    trying to fix a simple (and pointless in comparison usually) issue.

    Personally - I don't recommend hibernation - particularly in XP - as my
    tests generally have show that a total shutdown and later power-on is about
    the same time taken as a full functional recovery (network connectivity and
    all) from a hibernation. Many people would argue this point - and I guess
    hibernation has its place if you need to leave work open - but I have always
    found that idea pretty strange as well - considering saving is the agreed
    upon better option. Now this is all my experience over many different
    machines (hardware-wise) - and is *just* my opinion. I still - to this
    day - do not turn hibernation on any machine I setup (generally I turn it
    off completely.) Not green? Possibly - but I don't think so.

    In any case - System Restore is made for those "oops" moments realized in a
    short period of time. Anything past a short period of time should be done
    with actual system backups, disk images, etc - not System Restore. IMHO.

    If your problem is your hibernation - my suggestions are:

    - update all your hardware device drivers (motherboard chipset, video
    device(s), network device(s), audio device(s)) and your system BIOS to the
    latest version from EACH corresponding device manufacturer (or if a
    third-tier product like Dell, HP, Lenovo, Gateway, etc - from the
    make/model/serial number web page for your particular system.)

    - Cleanup the system with the following steps - based on where you posted -
    exactly:
    (Seem like a lot? It is - but your system will be cleaner and may act right
    afterwards. Some of it basic maintenance would prevent the need for; some
    of it *is* basic maintenance. Like changing the oil in a vehicle, taking
    out the trash from your home, picking up your mail...)

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    Empty your recycle bin.

    Download/install this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

    After installing, do the following:

    Start button --> RUN --> type in:
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
    --> Click OK.
    (The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

    If you are comfortable with the stability of your system, you can delete the
    uninstall files for the patches that Windows XP has installed...
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    ( Particularly of interest here - #4 )
    ( Alternative: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm )

    You can run Disk Cleanup - built into Windows XP - to erase all but your
    latest restore point and cleanup even more "loose files"...
    (You don't *have* to do the first part right now - the restore point thing
    - based on your posting, you may feel uncomfortable doing this -
    although it is highly unlikely you would have the ones you seem to want
    and everyone is telling you you are better off not using if you did
    anyway...)

    How to use Disk Cleanup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

    Clear out your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files (all of them,
    cookies, caches, etc.) (Instructions depend on IE Version. Want them?
    Come back and give that information. ;-) )

    You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

    How to scan your disks for errors
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
    * will take time and a reboot

    You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

    How to Defragment your hard drives
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
    * will take time

    Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
    and utilize the built-in Windows Firewall only.

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
    (freeware version):

    SuperAntiSpyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
    (freeware version):

    MalwareBytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.com/

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    Download and run the MSRT manually:

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    Fix your file/registry permissions...

    Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
    titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
    *will take time
    ** Ignore the last step - you likely (hopefully) have SP3 already...

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/...6F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
    of the C:\ drive, do the following:

    Start button --> RUN and type in:
    --> Click OK.

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    Visit this web page:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

    .... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
    both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
    for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
    it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit.

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
    CUSTOM scan...

    Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
    release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

    (deselect any others) and install it.

    Reboot and logon as administrative user.

    time. Rebooting as needed.

    against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
    "Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
    Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
    Internet Explorer 8 at this time. (If you already have it - so be it...)

    Come back - especially if you get stuck someplace, but even if you don't -
    and let everyone know how it turns out.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jun 29, 2010
  10. Lindsay Graham

    Daave Guest

    Lindsay Graham wrote:
    > On 29 Jun 2010 at 05:56, Billns wrote:
    >> On 6/28/2010 7:23 AM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
    >>> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2
    >>> years. A long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to
    >>> do a system restore, but that never happened as I was then only
    >>> using it intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly,
    >>> hibernate still does not work and the computer is gradually but
    >>> inexorably slowing down, to the point that it is now very
    >>> frustrating to use. Is System Restore likely to provide a solution?
    >>> Why do I not seem to
    >>> have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >>>
    >>> Lindsay Graham
    >>> Canberra, Australia

    >> I wouldn't trust system restore points that are three months old
    >> anyway. System Restore is not a panacea. Use a backup program,
    >> preferably to
    >> an external hard disk.
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Why would you not trust older system restore points?
    >
    > I backup regularly to an external hard disk. But how is that relevant
    > to my question?

    The further back in time you go, the more useless System Restore is.
    Even if you could go back six months or two years, you wouldn't want to.
    So much has changed in your system over time -- installing new programs
    and maybe drivers and so many updates. SR is really only good for a new
    problem and if you go back only a short period of time. Otherwise,
    instability would surely occur.

    Right now, you should first address your performance problem. After
    that, you can address the hibernation issue.

    So to answer your original question, the answer is no, SR is not likely
    to provide a solution.

    If you're ready to address your performance issue, it might be best to
    start a fresh thread and include all pertinent information, including:

    1. the specs of your PC, especially the amount of RAM

    2. the size of hard drive and amount of free space

    3. the malware status of your PC (malware is the most common cause of
    sluggishness)

    4. list all your security programs/suites (many of these also ironically
    contribute to sluggishness)

    Do you merely back up *data* to an external drive or do you perhaps save
    images of your hard drive to it? (If the latter, restoring an image from
    a time prior to your problems would probably solve your problem -- think
    of it as System Restore the way it really should be! Just make sure all
    the data created after that image was made is also backed up.)

    Daave, Jun 29, 2010
  11. On 29 Jun 210 at 10:05, 123Jim wrote:
    > "Lindsay Graham" <> wrote...

    > Do you have it set up to hibernate when you close the lid? .. in any case ..
    > if it does not hibernate then some program is stopping it from hibernating
    > .. but which one? ....
    >
    > Before your close the lid or leave it to hibernate check 'task manager' ..
    > (right click task bar > choose task manager) Look in the processes tab,
    > click to order the tasks on 'most active on top' by clicking CPU (once,
    > maybe once more) .. now observe .. Which process is using the CPU? it is
    > likely that this is the process that is preventing your system from
    > hibernating. When you discover that, you can stop that program, either from
    > starting at all, or before you want your system to hibernate. (I find that
    > some java applets in the browser can prevent my system from hibernating)

    Thanks very much for your reply, 123Jim. As others have indicated, it
    would have been better if I'd started different threads for the
    restore/hibernate and slow system problems. So, I'll deal only with the
    hibernation problem in this thread, and start another (if I need to) for
    the slow system problem.

    First, I should describe the hibernation problem better. If I attempt
    to hibernate (either from the "Start" menu or by closing the lid), WinXP
    says it is hibernating. But when I turn the netbook on again, I get the
    blue screen error message "Last attempt to restart the system from its
    previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?"

    The 2 options provided in this error message are:
    1. Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.
    2. Continue with system restart.

    Option 1 always loops back to the same error message. Option 2 starts
    the computer but does not bring up any of the programs that were open
    when I attempted to hibernate.

    After the restart, Windows Error Reporting says "Stop (blue screen)
    error caused by a device or driver." I have followed the suggested
    trouble-shooting steps in the past to no avail. However, I will do that
    again now and, if necessary, check the Task Manager as 123Jim suggests
    above. I'll report back on the results.

    Lindsay Graham

    Lindsay Graham, Jun 29, 2010
  12. Lindsay Graham

    Billns Guest

    On 6/28/2010 4:11 PM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
    > On 29 Jun 2010 at 05:56, Billns wrote:
    >> On 6/28/2010 7:23 AM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
    >>> I've had an EeePC netbook with Win XP Home SP3 for just over 2 years. A
    >>> long time ago, hibernate stopped working -- I was told to do a system
    >>> restore, but that never happened as I was then only using it
    >>> intermittently. Now that I'm using it more regularly, hibernate still
    >>> does not work and the computer is gradually but inexorably slowing down,
    >>> to the point that it is now very frustrating to use.
    >>>
    >>> Is System Restore likely to provide a solution? Why do I not seem to
    >>> have any System Restore points that are older than 3 months?
    >>>
    >>> Lindsay Graham
    >>> Canberra, Australia

    >> I wouldn't trust system restore points that are three months old anyway.
    >>
    >> System Restore is not a panacea. Use a backup program, preferably to
    >> an external hard disk.
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Why would you not trust older system restore points?
    >
    > I backup regularly to an external hard disk. But how is that relevant to
    > my question?
    >
    > Lindsay Graham

    Daave has pretty much answered both of your questions in detail and has
    offered an excellent method to address your performance problems.

    If you don't have an image disk from before you started having problems,
    a clean install of Windows may be in order.

    Bill

    Billns, Jun 29, 2010
  13. Jean Rosenfeld wrote:
    > Sheenan, FYI:
    >
    > The link to the Windows installer cleanup utility you give no
    > longer leads to that app. It now refers to uninstalling Office,
    > with a fixit. It also explains that msicuu2.exe has been withdrawn
    > and is no longer available from MS download (though one can still
    > download it elsewhere).

    Jeaan (*grin*):

    Thanks. I see it was updated *today*. Sheesh.
    (Last Review: June 29, 2010 - Revision: 12.0)

    Thanks for the heads up. I guess it *could* cause issues if used
    incorrectly.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP