no autoplay on drives

Mark

i have an advent 3418 computer with xp home and all the latest updates
recently both the dvd and dvd/cd rw combo will not auto play disc or ask
what to perform checked settings all ok computer is only 3 weeks old any
ideas would help a lot.

Paul [MSFT]

Regarding post:
--------------------
| From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
| Subject: no autoplay on drives
| Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:06:08 -0000
|
| i have an advent 3418 computer with xp home and all the latest updates
| recently both the dvd and dvd/cd rw combo will not auto play disc or ask
| what to perform checked settings all ok computer is only 3 weeks old any
| ideas would help a lot.

=====================================

Hi Mark,

Since the symptom showed up only recently you should be able to correct
this by rolling back to a previous/recent restore point using Help / System
Restore. Before trying that I will suggest some alternatives:

330135 The AutoRun or AutoPlay Feature Does Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330135

817357 The AutoPlay Function Does Not Work and the Current Media Does Not
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817357

320281 AutoPlay May Not Work After You Insert a "Memory Stick"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320281

155217 How to Enable or Disable Automatically Running CD-ROMs
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=155217 <should work for Win XP as well>

Regarding the use of System Restore:

306084 HOW TO: Restore the Operating System to a Previous State in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306084

283252 Non-Administrator User Is Unable to Start System Restore Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283252

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE