Nikon LS-2000 and LS-30 and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Scanners' started by Barry Watzman, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. I have may Nikon LS-30's and LS-2000's working successfully on Windows 7
    32-bit.

    This is a native installation:

    -Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card
    -Adaptec 2940 drivers [use the Vista drivers]
    -Adaptec ASPI 4.71a2
    -Nikon Scan 3.1.2

    Installation was a BITCH, especially ASPI. The only way I got it
    installed was to print out the install.bat file and then run the steps
    MANUALLY in a DOS box. The DOS box was set for:

    -Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
    -"Run as Administrator"
    -Give "Everyone" "Full Control" permissions

    The same above 3 parameters were used (necessary or not) for both all
    installation (setup) programs, and then they were applied to all .exe
    programs after they were installed (e.g. these 3 parameters were applied
    to the Nikon Scan setup program when it was run, and then they were also
    applied to NikonScan.exe after the installation program installed it).

    Not a straightforward or easy installation, BUT IT DOES WORK.

    Note that there is, as far as I can determine, no native Nikon Scan
    installation possible for 64-bit Windows 7, but it may be possible to
    either use VueScan and a "Ratoc" converter, or to use the "XP Mode" if
    you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and a CPU that has hardware
    virtualization technology.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 4, 2010

  2. A few additional notes on installing Nikon LS-30 and LS-2000 film
    scanners under Windows 7 and Windows Vista:

    When Nikon originally sold these scanners, they supplied Adaptec 290x
    model SCSI cards (e.g. 2902, 2903, ... 2906, etc.). THESE CARDS DON'T
    WORK WITH XP AND LATER OPERATING SYSTEMS (with the possible exception of
    the 2906 (MAYBE)).

    If you are attempting to use an LS-30 or an LS-2000 .... upgrade to an
    Adaptec 2940 series PCI SCSI card, but be sure to use one of the
    "narrow" cards (this is a reference to SCSI bus width, not physical
    dimensions) and not the "wide" or "ultra wide" cards ("ultra" without
    wide, e.g. "ultra narrow" ( !! ) is fine). My preferred card is the
    AHA-2940AU, but the original AHA-2940U is also fine.

    [Note also that you will need a new cable or an adapter; the 2940's have
    SCSI-II connectors on them (the same connector as the scanner itself),
    while the 290x cards had DB-25 connectors on the SCSI cards.]

    For laptop use: Many modern laptops do not have a "PC Card" (PCMCIA)
    slot, instead they have an "Express Card" slot. There is a way around
    this limitation, Newegg sells a $40 adapter from Rosewill (item #
    N82E16839200010) that allows CARDBUS (ONLY) PC Cards to be used in an
    Express Card slot. It works with the Adaptec 1480 Cardbus SCSI PC Card.
    Alternatively, you could use VueScan and a RATOC SCSI to {USB or
    Firewire} converter (2 separate converters), but neither VueScan nor the
    Ratoc converters are free, this is an expensive solution (although it
    works and converts the scanner to USB or Firewire). Note that Nikon
    Scan will not work with either of the Ratoc converters.

    Regarding ASPI installation: The batch file that did the installation
    under XP (but that you can't use under Windows 7) executes 3 relevant
    steps. Two of the three steps just copy files from the ASPI
    installation folder to a pair of Windows folders:

    COPY ASPIXP.SYS C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ASPI32.SYS
    COPY WNASPIXP.DLL C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WNASPI32.DLL

    This is just a straight file copy and can be done manually (via "drag
    and drop").

    The 3rd step just runs the program REG_XP.EXE, which, again, can be done
    manually (set the compatibility mode to XP SP2, set "run as
    administrator" and give "Full Control" to "All Users" before running
    this program). Also, to the extent possible, perform these 3
    compatibility configuration steps as well on the two files that you
    manually copied after they are copied to their destination locations).

    Again, this ONLY works on 32-bit Windows 7 (or Vista); there is no hope
    for any 64-bit OS (I'm not sure if "XP Mode" might work or not when
    using a 64-bit version of Windows 7).

    Barry Watzman, Feb 3, 2010

  3. Re: "There is another possible option for Win7 users - it's possible
    that some of the more advanced Linux based Live CD's may be able to run
    these scanners."

    In fact one of my customers confirmed to me that he did this and that it
    worked for him (not sure which Linux or scanning software he was using).
    Personally, I don't consider it an acceptable solution (ok, I'm a
    Windows bigot), but in fact it is an option.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 5, 2010
  4. Re: "I'm trying to install a coolscan III under Windows 7, but when i
    run the Nikon Scan the program doesn't find the device (the scanner) I'm
    trying with a Tekram DC-395 U card. I want to know which driver are you
    using for the coolscan III scanner."

    The drivers for the Nikon scanner are part of Nikon Scan 3.1.2. But I
    don't think that's your problem.

    The symptom you report is usually caused by failing to have a fully and
    properly installed ASPI layer of software. The version I used is 4.71a2
    (aka 4.71.2) This normally comes from Adapted (and they are a bitch to
    install under Windows 7), but the Adaptec versions of ASPI will only
    work with an Adaptec SCSI card. I STRONGLY suggest that you get an
    Adaptec 2940 series card (either the 2940U or 2940AU (not any of the "W"
    [wide] variants).

    Also note that a native installation is absolutely impossible under
    64-bit versions of Windows 7 (or, for that matter, Vista or even XP).
    This is only possible with 32-bit Windows (you MIGHT have a chance with
    64-bit Windows and "XP Mode", I have not tried that myself).

    [Text of older posts on this subject follow]

    Barry Watzman, Mar 7, 2010
  5. Barry Watzman

    medieval knievel

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    i don't have a 2940, and have been having trouble too - have been trying with a 29160U2W, which was in my machine already, will try again with a 2940U2W i found lying around.

    this is the output from querying the aspi service:

    C:\Users\user>sc query aspi32

    SERVICE_NAME: aspi32
    TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
    STATE : 1 STOPPED
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 2 (0x2)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT : 0x0
    WAIT_HINT : 0x0

    this would imply that the reg_xp.exe file has run, because the right service has been created in the registry.
    and this is what happens if i try to start it with sc:

    C:\Windows\system32>sc start aspi32
    [SC] StartService FAILED 2:

    if i try a regsvr32 wnaspi32.dll, i get 'The module "wnaspi32.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "wnaspi32.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again'

    still plugging away, will try the other card later today.

    medieval knievel, Mar 20, 2010
  6. Barry Watzman

    Andrew Toms Guest

    Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. I am so close I can
    taste it, but not there yet.

    We have;
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
    2GB RAM
    Nikon LS-2000
    Adaptec 2490U/UW (I am not sure how to tell which is which) -has a
    HD68F socket on the back plate
    ASPI 4.7 correctly (I think) installed
    So far;
    The SCSI card "sees" and identifies the scanner when the PC boots up
    When I open the NikonScan (v3.1.2) s/w, it no longer gives a "device
    not found" error.

    BUT -when I open NikonScan, the splash screen never goes away -it just
    'hangs' at this point.

    Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

    Andrew Toms, Apr 8, 2010
  7. The 68-pin socket on the back of your 2940 means it's an "ultra-wide"
    variant (2940UW; UW = Ultra Wide). This is not the preferred card for a
    Nikon scanner, although it can be made to work with the right cable,
    termination and configuration. The 2940U/2940AU (narrow cards with a
    50-pin connector on the back) are really preferred. You can usually
    find these on E-Bay for $5 or less (sometimes for $1) plus about $5 more
    for shipping.

    You may have a bad or wrong cable. The fact that you are connecting a
    50-pin (narrow) device to a 68-pin (wide) SCSI card introduces a lot of
    variables would simply go away if you had the narrow version of the
    card. Given that the cost is so low, I'd be inclined to replace the
    card unless you get it resolved. [In particular, the "wide" scsi bus
    has lines that do not connect to anything/anywhere, but which may still
    need to be terminated.]

    It's also possible that the scanner itself is defective. Does it pass
    it's power on self-test?

    Barry Watzman, Apr 8, 2010
  8. Barry Watzman

    Andrew Toms Guest

    Thanks Barry,

    The Adaptec 2940UW card was free, so I thought I would give it a go
    (the scanner cost me $150 on Craigslist).
    The SCSI cable is brand new (StarTech HD68-to-HD50).
    Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow blink
    1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). It does not make
    any noise, and I cannot see a lamp illuminate anywhere (as opposed to
    flatbed scanners, which often do this?). This device is new to me, so
    I am not sure what it is "supposed" to do. No manual or instructions
    came with it.
    The Adaptec card appears to recognize the scanner -when the PC powers-
    up, the SCSI BIOS screen comes up, and it identifies a Nikon LS2000
    scanner ID#2 -I took that to be a good sign.
    I did verify more closely that I have the right ASPI layer installed,
    the ASPICHK gives me back the correct versions (4.7 etc) that I have
    seen posted elsewhere.

    Willing to poke at it a bit more (and try a different card if they are
    that cheap) before giving up.

    Andrew Toms, Apr 9, 2010
  9. Barry Watzman

    Andrew Toms Guest

    UPDATE

    Things got much more interesting once I found and removed the transit
    lock screw on the underside of the unit (there is another one in the
    back panel).
    NikonScan still would not recognize the device. BUT -Hamrick VueScan
    DOES see it, and it runs. I got one fuzzy preview image from a slide,
    everything else is a fuzzy wash. I am suspecting the leadscrew drive
    might be jammed at end of travel (I can now see the LEDS illuminating
    the front edge of my slide, but it never "scans").

    Andrew Toms, Apr 9, 2010
  10. WHOA !!!

    Re: "Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow
    blink 1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). "

    YOUR SCANNER IS DEFECTIVE. PERIOD.

    If, during self-test, the scanner ***EVER*** blinks fast, even though it
    will stop, the scanner is defective.

    You can stop right now. The scanner itself is defective and needs
    service. And Nikon no longer services these scanners.

    Please contact me directly by E-Mail ()

    Barry Watzman, Apr 12, 2010
  11. There are two transit screws. The holes on the back are the STORAGE
    holes. For transit, one goes in the hole on the bottom, the other goes
    into a hole just inside the front edge of the film adapter compartment,
    on the left side. You can't just stick these in any old way or time;
    before they can be inserted, the mechanism has to be put into the
    "transit park" mode. If the scanner needs service, this may not be
    possible, in which case the scanner will need to be shipped without the
    screws (in which case it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you use a
    relatively large box with LOTS of good, shock absorbing padding.

    An inserted transit screw WILL cause a POST failure (fast blinking).

    Now that both screws are removed, how does the unit behave on power up?

    Note, over 80% of Nikon scanners sold online are defective. Most don't
    work, and of those that do, most have dirty optics and need cleaning
    (not withstanding that they will produce a scan).

    Please see:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110496133091

    Due to another commitment, I am not accepting additional repairs, but I
    might make an exception. Please contact me by E-mail ()

    Suggestion that might get it working: Take off the covers (4 screws)
    and the front plastic fascia (snap at the top). The main stepper motor
    is below the film adapter opening. It's shaft is slotted. Using a
    screwdriver, turn it counterclockwise if the unit is full forward, or
    clockwise if it's full back. Also, "rock" the optical block (the large
    black plastic piece with the chrome steel rails on it) forward and back
    (alternately press down on the optical block at the front, then the
    back). Turn it on and see if it now works (you can do this without
    reinstalling the front fascia or covers, but keep your hands out of the
    power supply (the rear 1/3 of the scanner).

    Note that, even if it superficially works, it probably still needs
    servicing.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 12, 2010
  12. Barry Watzman

    croy Guest

    On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:04:29 -0500, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >A few additional notes on installing Nikon LS-30 and LS-2000 film
    >scanners under Windows 7 and Windows Vista:
    >
    >When Nikon originally sold these scanners, they supplied Adaptec 290x
    >model SCSI cards (e.g. 2902, 2903, ... 2906, etc.). THESE CARDS DON'T
    >WORK WITH XP AND LATER OPERATING SYSTEMS (with the possible exception of
    >the 2906 (MAYBE)).
    >
    >If you are attempting to use an LS-30 or an LS-2000 .... upgrade to an
    >Adaptec 2940 series PCI SCSI card, but be sure to use one of the
    >"narrow" cards (this is a reference to SCSI bus width, not physical
    >dimensions) and not the "wide" or "ultra wide" cards ("ultra" without
    >wide, e.g. "ultra narrow" ( !! ) is fine). My preferred card is the
    >AHA-2940AU, but the original AHA-2940U is also fine.
    >
    >[Note also that you will need a new cable or an adapter; the 2940's have
    >SCSI-II connectors on them (the same connector as the scanner itself),
    >while the 290x cards had DB-25 connectors on the SCSI cards.]

    Great info!

    My new Windows 7 won't run my Iomega SCSI card either, but
    I'm wondering if I got an Adaptec as mentioned above, if I
    might be able to get my wonderful old HP ScanJet IIcx
    working as well. I'm a registered user of Vuescan.

    Any thoughts?

    --
    croy

    croy, Sep 27, 2010
  13. Barry Watzman

    Rob Guest

    On 27/09/2010 12:46 PM, croy wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:04:29 -0500, Barry Watzman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> A few additional notes on installing Nikon LS-30 and LS-2000 film
    >> scanners under Windows 7 and Windows Vista:
    >>
    >> When Nikon originally sold these scanners, they supplied Adaptec 290x
    >> model SCSI cards (e.g. 2902, 2903, ... 2906, etc.). THESE CARDS DON'T
    >> WORK WITH XP AND LATER OPERATING SYSTEMS (with the possible exception of
    >> the 2906 (MAYBE)).
    >>
    >> If you are attempting to use an LS-30 or an LS-2000 .... upgrade to an
    >> Adaptec 2940 series PCI SCSI card, but be sure to use one of the
    >> "narrow" cards (this is a reference to SCSI bus width, not physical
    >> dimensions) and not the "wide" or "ultra wide" cards ("ultra" without
    >> wide, e.g. "ultra narrow" ( !! ) is fine). My preferred card is the
    >> AHA-2940AU, but the original AHA-2940U is also fine.
    >>
    >> [Note also that you will need a new cable or an adapter; the 2940's have
    >> SCSI-II connectors on them (the same connector as the scanner itself),
    >> while the 290x cards had DB-25 connectors on the SCSI cards.]

    > Great info!
    >
    > My new Windows 7 won't run my Iomega SCSI card either, but
    > I'm wondering if I got an Adaptec as mentioned above, if I
    > might be able to get my wonderful old HP ScanJet IIcx
    > working as well. I'm a registered user of Vuescan.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Make sure the SCSI card is a full card and not a light version as
    supplied with some scanners. Most SCSI cards work even when they
    recommended Adaptec types cause that is what the scanner had been tested
    on and that was the only reason. SCSI is a standard so they must work
    the same.

    Have you tried to install Vuescan this may place the drivers in the
    correct locations then the other programmes will also use them.

    I just built a W7 64x computer for a friend who has a Nikon LS40 you can
    no longer get drivers to support the scanner/W7. Loading the old
    drivers it would not work so he tried a trial version of Vuescan used
    and trailed that, next he again tried the Nikon drivers and that
    started to work. So for some reason it must have picked up some Vuescan
    drivers to enable a working scanner through Nikon software.

    As for the scsi does W7 come with ASPI ?? drivers?? this was one of the
    problems when the older LS10 scsi scanner did not work you could
    download it off the Vuescan site and load it into your system.

    Rob, Sep 27, 2010
  14. Barry Watzman

    croy Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:46:18 -0500, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >I have may Nikon LS-30's and LS-2000's working successfully on Windows 7
    >32-bit.
    >
    >This is a native installation:
    >
    >-Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card
    >-Adaptec 2940 drivers [use the Vista drivers]
    >-Adaptec ASPI 4.71a2
    >-Nikon Scan 3.1.2
    >
    >Installation was a BITCH, especially ASPI. The only way I got it
    >installed was to print out the install.bat file and then run the steps
    >MANUALLY in a DOS box. The DOS box was set for:
    >
    >-Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
    >-"Run as Administrator"
    >-Give "Everyone" "Full Control" permissions
    >
    >The same above 3 parameters were used (necessary or not) for both all
    >installation (setup) programs, and then they were applied to all .exe
    >programs after they were installed (e.g. these 3 parameters were applied
    >to the Nikon Scan setup program when it was run, and then they were also
    >applied to NikonScan.exe after the installation program installed it).
    >
    >Not a straightforward or easy installation, BUT IT DOES WORK.
    >
    >Note that there is, as far as I can determine, no native Nikon Scan
    >installation possible for 64-bit Windows 7, but it may be possible to
    >either use VueScan and a "Ratoc" converter, or to use the "XP Mode" if
    >you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and a CPU that has hardware
    >virtualization technology.

    Does anyone have any idea if this would work on Windows 7
    Home Premium?

    --
    croy

    croy, Sep 27, 2010
  15. Barry Watzman

    <> wrote:

    >A few additional notes on installing Nikon LS-30 and LS-2000 film
    >scanners under Windows 7 and Windows Vista:
    >
    >When Nikon originally sold these scanners, they supplied Adaptec 290x
    >model SCSI cards (e.g. 2902, 2903, ... 2906, etc.). THESE CARDS DON'T
    >WORK WITH XP AND LATER OPERATING SYSTEMS (with the possible exception of
    >the 2906 (MAYBE)).
    >
    >If you are attempting to use an LS-30 or an LS-2000 .... upgrade to an
    >Adaptec 2940 series PCI SCSI card, but be sure to use one of the
    >"narrow" cards (this is a reference to SCSI bus width, not physical
    >dimensions) and not the "wide" or "ultra wide" cards ("ultra" without
    >wide, e.g. "ultra narrow" ( !! ) is fine). My preferred card is the
    >AHA-2940AU, but the original AHA-2940U is also fine.
    >
    >[Note also that you will need a new cable or an adapter; the 2940's have
    >SCSI-II connectors on them (the same connector as the scanner itself),
    >while the 290x cards had DB-25 connectors on the SCSI cards.]
    >
    >For laptop use: Many modern laptops do not have a "PC Card" (PCMCIA)
    >slot, instead they have an "Express Card" slot. There is a way around
    >this limitation, Newegg sells a $40 adapter from Rosewill (item #
    >N82E16839200010) that allows CARDBUS (ONLY) PC Cards to be used in an
    >Express Card slot. It works with the Adaptec 1480 Cardbus SCSI PC Card.
    > Alternatively, you could use VueScan and a RATOC SCSI to {USB or
    >Firewire} converter (2 separate converters), but neither VueScan nor the
    >Ratoc converters are free, this is an expensive solution (although it
    >works and converts the scanner to USB or Firewire). Note that Nikon
    >Scan will not work with either of the Ratoc converters.
    >
    >Regarding ASPI installation: The batch file that did the installation
    >under XP (but that you can't use under Windows 7) executes 3 relevant
    >steps. Two of the three steps just copy files from the ASPI
    >installation folder to a pair of Windows folders:
    >
    >COPY ASPIXP.SYS C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ASPI32.SYS
    >COPY WNASPIXP.DLL C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WNASPI32.DLL
    >
    >This is just a straight file copy and can be done manually (via "drag
    >and drop").
    >
    >The 3rd step just runs the program REG_XP.EXE, which, again, can be done
    >manually (set the compatibility mode to XP SP2, set "run as
    >administrator" and give "Full Control" to "All Users" before running
    >this program). Also, to the extent possible, perform these 3
    >compatibility configuration steps as well on the two files that you
    >manually copied after they are copied to their destination locations).

    Any idea what REG_XP.EXE does (what it changes in the
    registry)?

    --
    croy

    croy, Sep 28, 2010
  16. Barry Watzman

    Rob Guest

    On 28/09/2010 8:50 AM, croy wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:46:18 -0500, Barry Watzman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have may Nikon LS-30's and LS-2000's working successfully on Windows 7
    >> 32-bit.
    >>
    >> This is a native installation:
    >>
    >> -Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card
    >> -Adaptec 2940 drivers [use the Vista drivers]
    >> -Adaptec ASPI 4.71a2
    >> -Nikon Scan 3.1.2
    >>
    >> Installation was a BITCH, especially ASPI. The only way I got it
    >> installed was to print out the install.bat file and then run the steps
    >> MANUALLY in a DOS box. The DOS box was set for:
    >>
    >> -Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
    >> -"Run as Administrator"
    >> -Give "Everyone" "Full Control" permissions
    >>
    >> The same above 3 parameters were used (necessary or not) for both all
    >> installation (setup) programs, and then they were applied to all .exe
    >> programs after they were installed (e.g. these 3 parameters were applied
    >> to the Nikon Scan setup program when it was run, and then they were also
    >> applied to NikonScan.exe after the installation program installed it).
    >>
    >> Not a straightforward or easy installation, BUT IT DOES WORK.
    >>
    >> Note that there is, as far as I can determine, no native Nikon Scan
    >> installation possible for 64-bit Windows 7, but it may be possible to
    >> either use VueScan and a "Ratoc" converter, or to use the "XP Mode" if
    >> you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and a CPU that has hardware
    >> virtualization technology.

    > Does anyone have any idea if this would work on Windows 7
    > Home Premium?

    look back a couple of replies - install the drivers for vista and
    install vuescan then it will work, This runs off the 32 bit side of W7.

    I have nikon scan working under W7 64x OS.

    Rob, Sep 28, 2010
  17. Barry Watzman

    croy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:54:13 +1000, Rob <>
    wrote:

    >On 28/09/2010 8:50 AM, croy wrote:
    >> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:46:18 -0500, Barry Watzman
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have may Nikon LS-30's and LS-2000's working successfully on Windows 7
    >>> 32-bit.
    >>>
    >>> This is a native installation:
    >>>
    >>> -Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card
    >>> -Adaptec 2940 drivers [use the Vista drivers]
    >>> -Adaptec ASPI 4.71a2
    >>> -Nikon Scan 3.1.2
    >>>
    >>> Installation was a BITCH, especially ASPI. The only way I got it
    >>> installed was to print out the install.bat file and then run the steps
    >>> MANUALLY in a DOS box. The DOS box was set for:
    >>>
    >>> -Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
    >>> -"Run as Administrator"
    >>> -Give "Everyone" "Full Control" permissions
    >>>
    >>> The same above 3 parameters were used (necessary or not) for both all
    >>> installation (setup) programs, and then they were applied to all .exe
    >>> programs after they were installed (e.g. these 3 parameters were applied
    >>> to the Nikon Scan setup program when it was run, and then they were also
    >>> applied to NikonScan.exe after the installation program installed it).
    >>>
    >>> Not a straightforward or easy installation, BUT IT DOES WORK.
    >>>
    >>> Note that there is, as far as I can determine, no native Nikon Scan
    >>> installation possible for 64-bit Windows 7, but it may be possible to
    >>> either use VueScan and a "Ratoc" converter, or to use the "XP Mode" if
    >>> you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and a CPU that has hardware
    >>> virtualization technology.

    >> Does anyone have any idea if this would work on Windows 7
    >> Home Premium?
    >>

    >look back a couple of replies - install the drivers for vista and
    >install vuescan then it will work, This runs off the 32 bit side of W7.
    >
    >I have nikon scan working under W7 64x OS.

    Thanks.

    Now, I too, have my scanners (HP Scanjet IIc & Nikon
    Coolscan III) working under Window 7 Home Premium. I got an
    Adaptec AHA-2940AU at a local electronics surplus store for
    $10. Got the drivers from Adaptec. Got the smarts from
    Barry. Got it working!

    Yippee!

    --
    croy

    croy, Sep 29, 2010
  18. Barry Watzman

    Rob Guest

    On 25/11/2010 12:12 PM, croy wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:04:56 -0600, [HUN]Peti
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Finally I bought an AHA-2940U S1 card. I tried everything under windows
    >> 7 32-bit and its still not working for me. The ASPI driver is installed
    >> (at least the aspichk says it) Both the scsi card and the scanner are
    >> recognized by the windows 7 and installed well. The scanner is working
    >> great with vuescan. (even under windows 7 64 bit) But when I'm starting
    >> the nikon scan software it says that: "Nikon Scan was unable to find any
    >> active devices"
    >> Have you got any idea what I'm making wrong?

    > Was the Nikon software installed before, or after, you
    > installed the new SCSI card? If it was installed before,
    > perhaps uninstalling it (the Nikon software), and then
    > re-installing it will help. Just guessing, but it probably
    > wouldn't hurt anything, except your available free time.
    >
    > If the software was installed after you got the new SCSI
    > card working in Windows, then I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > I'm no expert, so paying me to shut up is probably wiser
    > than letting me keep talking for free.

    When you boot up the computer is the scanner switched on? The (scsi
    device) scanner must be found you can't just switch the scanner on and
    start scanning.

    The trick is to go to the device manager and see if the scanner is
    listed, if not then use the Device manager and scan for new devices and
    see if it shows up, should work then.

    Rob, Nov 25, 2010
  19. Barry Watzman

    Guest

    Hi All,

    HAPPY NEWS... At last I have got my LS30 III to work with Windows 7 64 bit.
    I've been trying to sort this out for a long time but:

    Check this web page out for details. It is easier than it seems and it works. I've just saved myself a thousand plus pounds.

    You require a Windows Vista 64 bit file (all explained on the web page) plus you do require Vuescan. It provides the driver everyone is looking for but windows will not accept it without this brilliant work around.

    Enjoy your LS30 again and be productive.

    Here's the link:

    http://www.colorneg.com/Vuescan/Ada...A-2940-etc/driver-for-64-Bit-Windows-7-and-8/

    , Jan 10, 2014