    Does anyone know how I can get the news reader to start?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

    Guest, Nov 27, 2003

  2. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
    Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
    OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
    it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have just installed office 2003 and in outlook 2003 I was attempting to

    move the NEWS command onto the go menu and it dropped off my mouse pointer
    and I can not find it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of time
    in an attempt to fix this, but have had no success. Every time I install it
    picks up the old defaults.

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Nov 27, 2003

    Thanks for the response, but it didn't work. Outlook 2003 still does not give me an option or command to use outlook as my news reader
    If you think of anything else please let me know
    Thanks
    Charlie

    Guest, Nov 27, 2003
  4. I don't understand your question. What option are you looking for? Outlook
    is not and never will be a news reader. Outlook uses OE for news reading.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Nov 27, 2003

    Outlook 2003 comes with Outlook Newsreader. To access the newsreader you need to add the command to one of the toolbars (the documentation that comes with office 2003 advises to add it to go) via View\toolbars\customise, and select Commands tab, categories (e.g. "go") and then drag news from the comnmand options onto "go" and you can then start the outlook newsreader
    When I was attempting this the command dropped of my mose pointer and has dissapeared. I am attempting to get the command back
    Thanks

    Charlie

    Guest, Nov 27, 2003
  6. That "Outlook Newsreader" is Outlook Express. Outlook does not come with it,
    your operating system does. Outlook simply calls OE with its News command.
    Users of Outlook 2003 often lose that command when they are configured
    incorrectly. The solution I posted is the only one that we've found that
    works consistently. If you lost yours through some other means, reset your
    Toolbar or rename outcmd.dat with Outlook closed, then restart Outlook.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Nov 27, 2003

    pcamen Guest

    Hi,

    I had the same problem. When I chose Outlook Express as the news
    reader, the command reappeared in the go menu. When I clicked on it
    what comes up has the name "Outlook News Reader." When it started, i
    said that "Outlook News Reader" is not the default news reader. Woul
    you like to set it as the default? When I click yes, and go back t
    the internet settings, the program for news is blank.

    Pete

    pcamen, Dec 13, 2003
  8. Click no.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Dec 14, 2003