  1. Windows would not start normally after the latest automatic ms security
    update. I had to roll back to a previous configuration .... what's up with
    that?

    Undrdwg Barked!, Jan 14, 2009

  2. Undrdwg Barked!

    t-4-2 Guest

    What is the KB number of that update ?
    t-4-2

    t-4-2, Jan 14, 2009

  3. There were three updates run at the same time :
    KB905866 (Windows Junk Email Filter update)
    KB958687 (Security update for Windows Vista)
    KB890830 (Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool)

    after the updates were installed, I rebooted the machine and windows would
    not start normally. Windows started ok in Safe mode. Returning to previous
    configuration allowed windows to start normally.

    Undrdwg Barked!, Jan 14, 2009
  4. Undrdwg Barked!

    t-4-2 Guest

    I went to check my update history, they were installed in my computer on
    1/13/09. I have no problem so far.

    t-4-2, Jan 14, 2009
  5. Undrdwg Barked!

    golderm Guest

    I think it is KB958687, i work in a domain with 50 systems, one BSOD'd about
    devicemanager, another froze before logon, and one froze after logon.
    Some systems installed this update problem free though so maybe it's
    hardware specific

    golderm, Jan 15, 2009
  6. If you have some time, you may want to call Microsoft:

    1-866-pcsafety in the US or Canada.

    It is useful to call Microsoft in a situation like this for several reasons:

    1) They will have up-to-the-minute information about any issues that have
    been found as the update is distributed.
    2) It will help them, and all the rest of us, if they hear how many
    customers are affected about a possible issue with an update.

    Basically, it helps everybody if they hear directly about a problem, and it
    may help you, specifically, if they have a fix for your issue which may not
    be sufficiently tested to be distributed publicly yet.

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 16, 2009