Newer files written to a shared folder are unaccesable using Windows Explorer

Annonymous Coward

Newer files written to a shared folder are unaccesable using Windows
Explorer

=============
I own an HTPC with a very old video capture card (no broadcast flag) that
records television shows in either MPG1 or MPG2 format. The HTPC dumps all
of the files that it records into a shared folder which is accessable from
all of the computers on my home network. Now all of the files written to
the folder by the video capture software before the month of October are
accessable over the network. All of the files written to the folder by the
video capture card are visable using Windows Explorer but are not accessable
using Windows Explorer or any type of media player. Blowing away the share
and re-creating it dosent resolve the issue. The files are also not corrupt
and are playable upon my workstations if I initiate the file transfer from
the HTPC instead of from one of the workstations. The kicker is that while
I cant access any of these newer files using Windows Explorer, I'm able to
access ALL of the files using IIS 5.0.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
==================
This happened once before and I was able to resolve the issue by doing an
FDISK, reformating and rebuilding the PC. Unfortunately the problem came
back at about the same time that I installed FFDShow, Made some changes to
the MPEG1 and 2 capture settings, installed IIS and enabled web sharing.

I thought that the capture card software might have a lock on the files so I
created a new folder and moved all of the files over to the new one. The
files moved to the new folder without any problems. I deleted the old
folder, renamed the new one to the name of the old one and shared it out
with "everyone" access. I'm still able to access all of the files that were
written prior to October but none of the files that were written after
October.

I'm able to upload files to this shared folder and then download these same
files. I'm just not able to access files written to the folder by the
capture card and ATI multimedia software.

I tried killing every single process that I could get away with killing in
Task Manager without taking the system down, apparently none of these
applications are the cause of my problems.

I thought that IIS might be locking the files so I turned off IIS - nothing
happened. Next I disabled the web share, and after rebooting was I still
unable to access the files. The odd thing is that I'm able to access the
files using IIS but I'm unable to access the files using a web share.

SYMPTOMS:
===========
- All files written prior to October in the same folder are accessable from
within Windows Explorer, IIS 5.0 or Windows Media Player. All files written
after October "in the same folder" are not accessable unless your using IIS
5.0. For example, "The Batman006.mpg" is viewable and accessable from the
same folder that the file "The Batman007.mpg" is stored, but I can access
006 accross the network and not 007.

- Windows Explorer generates the following error when I attempt to drag and
drop the file to one of my two workstations: Cannot copy [File Name]: Access
is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the
file is not currently in use.

- Windows Media Player Generates an error: "C00D11D2: Cannot access the
file"

- ZoomPlayer generates an error: Unable to play [File Name] This may be due
to a corrupt file, missing filters, filter conflicts or other hardware
issues.

HARDWARE:
============
Home Theater PC
Windows XP Pro SP2 | File Sharing
Windows Media Player 10
IIS 5
AMD 1300+
512MB PC 133 CAS2
80 GB PATA 133 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
10/100 Generic Network Card
ATI ALl-In-Wonder 128 16MB

Workstation 1 PC
Windows XP Pro SP2
Windows Media Player 10
AMD 3200+ 64bit
1GB DDR 400 PC3200 CAS2
200 GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
250 GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
10/1000 3COM Network Card
ATI 9800 128 MB

Workstation 2 PC
Windows XP Pro SP 2
Windows Media Player 10
Intel 3.0 GHz
1GB DDR 400 PC3200 CAS2.5
80 GB PATA 133 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
10/1000 Dell Network Card
NVIDIA GeForce 5200 128 MB

Any ideas folks?

Marc...

Hans-Georg Michna

Newer files written to a shared folder are unaccesable using Windows
Explorer

The first possible explanation that comes to mind is that the
folder's access rights have been changed and a required access
right has been removed. Since new files inherit these rights,
all new files cannot be accessed.

Check the access rights.

If that's not it, another possible cause is a defective codec.
Since Windows Explorer seems to use the codecs when you click on
a file, files can get inaccessible that way.

Hans-Georg

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, please disable web share on the folder to see if it is helpful.

If the above step doesn't help, please perform clean boot and error check
on the disk.

Clean Boot Your Computer

------------------------
To clean boot your computer, use the appropriate method for your version of
Windows.

Microsoft Windows XP:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the
Open box, and then click OK.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear all of the
subsequent check boxes. You will not be able to clear the Use Original
BOOT.INI check box.

3. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer.

NOTE: The screen may appear different when the computer is started in Clean
Boot mode (the icon become large ¡­). Please do not be alarmed. This is
only
for test purpose. We can easily return to the normal Startup mode by
repeating
the steps (to Step 2) and choose "Normal Startup".

After Windows starts, follow these steps to manually start Windows Installer
service (which is required for Picture It! installation).

1. Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.

2. On the shortcut menu, click Manage.

3. In the left pane of the Computer Management window, click Services and
Applications, and then click Services.

4. In the right pane, scroll down to Windows Installer, and then right-click
Windows Installer.

5. On the shortcut menu, click Start.

For more information about Windows XP Clean Boot, please refer to the
following
article:

Q310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q310/3/53.asp>

Please perform the above steps to perform clean boot of your system at your
convenience. Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "Annonymous Coward" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| Subject: Newer files written to a shared folder are unaccesable using
Windows Explorer
> [...]
| Windows XP Pro SP2 | File Sharing
| Windows Media Player 10
| IIS 5
| AMD 1300+
| 512MB PC 133 CAS2
| 80 GB PATA 133 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
| 10/100 Generic Network Card
| ATI ALl-In-Wonder 128 16MB
|
| Workstation 1 PC
| Windows XP Pro SP2
| Windows Media Player 10
| AMD 3200+ 64bit
| 1GB DDR 400 PC3200 CAS2
| 200 GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
| 250 GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
| 10/1000 3COM Network Card
| ATI 9800 128 MB
|
| Workstation 2 PC
| Windows XP Pro SP 2
| Windows Media Player 10
| Intel 3.0 GHz
| 1GB DDR 400 PC3200 CAS2.5
| 80 GB PATA 133 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM

Annonymous Coward

Thank you for your suggestion Hans-Georg.

Unfortunately this is not appear to be the case because when I create a new
share and move the accessable and unaccessable files to it I have the same
problem.

This is not a codec issue because while I've tried to stream the files I'm
also not able to MOVE the files from the HTPC to one of the workstations
using Windows Explorer. The same files that are inaccessable are accessable
if I initiate a file copy using Windows Explorer from the HTPC instead of
from one of the workstations.

Regards,

Marc

Annonymous Coward

Thanks for your suggestions Carsyn...

I've tried disabling the web share and turning off IIS, unfortunately this
step does not resolve my issue. I'll try the clean boot / error check the
disc today.

Carsyn Gu said:
[...]

rights.

--------------------
> [...]
| Windows XP Pro SP2 | File Sharing
| Windows Media Player 10
| IIS 5
| AMD 1300+
| 512MB PC 133 CAS2
| 80 GB PATA 133 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
| 10/100 Generic Network Card
| ATI ALl-In-Wonder 128 16MB
|
| Workstation 1 PC
| Windows XP Pro SP2
| Windows Media Player 10
| AMD 3200+ 64bit
| 1GB DDR 400 PC3200 CAS2
| 200 GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
| 250 GB SATA 150 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM
| 10/1000 3COM Network Card
| ATI 9800 128 MB
|
| Workstation 2 PC
| Windows XP Pro SP 2
| Windows Media Player 10
| Intel 3.0 GHz
| 1GB DDR 400 PC3200 CAS2.5
| 80 GB PATA 133 Maxtor 8MB Cache 7200 RPM

Hans-Georg Michna

Unfortunately this is not appear to be the case because when I create a new
share and move the accessable and unaccessable files to it I have the same
problem.

You have to copy them instead of moving. Copying and moving are
very different in this respect, because when you move a file (or
a folder), it keeps its access rights. If, however, you copy a
file (or folder, or create a new one), the new copy inherits its
access rights from the containing folder.

Hans-Georg

p.s. I'm off and may not be able to reply until Monday.