New system will not post

Discussion in 'AMD 64 Bit' started by beoweolf, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. beoweolf

    beoweolf Guest

    I decided to update my Intel 1.6cpu...it is,was the last Intel box in my
    network. Decided to update to AMD2 socket, DDR, 3800+... Thent he fun began!

    All the M/B required PCI express card, Ka-ching, Next, all the boards
    requried DDR2,Ka-ching, Ka-ching. None of the "inexpensive" boards had more
    than 2 IDE slots, so new M/B, Ka-ching, Ka-ching, Ka-ching! Format doesn't
    fit the old case... OK, bottom line, I have a new system, new case, New
    power supply (old 20 pin is not replaced with New 24 pin, ....just in case).

    System will not post no matter what. The system is on a KVM, so that is my
    next magical trick, to see if it will boot/post with old tech CRT, Keyboard
    and wired mouse.

    symptom: everything spins up, no video display (using either on-board video
    or PCI-e card, check memory and re-seated it several times...beep at
    start-up can be either memory not recognised or Video not being recognise.

    I did try a SATA drive as well as the previous drives from the old system
    (WD caviar's 40Gb - 2001 and 2003...they are still running strong since 2001
    and 2003 on the second). I have stripped everything not totally necessary
    for boot up, still no post and that same damned, mocking beep. new case is
    Antec, new M/B is Gigabyte.

    Any diagnostic help will be appreciated.

    beoweolf, Aug 5, 2006

  2. beoweolf

    beoweolf Guest

    It was, as suspected ... Memory! ..., had to have a hard to heart with the
    cleark. But finally got an exchange (and a warning that it was one time
    thing).

    Traded up tp Corsair, installed them, the machine booted without any
    additional drama. Having to repair the OS, install - Server does not like it
    when you swap processors, M/B, Memory and add components at the same time.

    I don't know if the issue was OCZ memory in general or just the batch I got.
    I was tempted to trade for the same, but I couldn't chance it after all the
    crap I had to go thru to isolate it down to memory.

    I just couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that new memory, fresh out of
    the box would be the problem? I'm a victim of my own propaganda, that being
    "components are so generic, that Mtbf is so long and intial failure rates
    are so low...most non-mechanical components are near bullet proof". Now I'm
    back to being a skeptic.

    beoweolf, Aug 5, 2006

  3. beoweolf

    Philip Sack Guest

    Interesting, I had the opposite with my epox board. Corsair was screwing up
    bad but OCZ has worked perfectly. I would think coincidental bad memory
    before compatibility issues, but you never know.

    Philip Sack, Aug 6, 2006