New rig - quick brag

Reaction score
I just got my new system up and running and thought I'd quickly brag about it until it becomes outdated...er...probably by this time next week!:eek:...

Akasa Eclipse case + 2x Akasa Amber 120mm fans
600W Silverstone 'Slider' modular PSU, with quad 12V rails
Asus A8N Sli Premium Skt 939 mobo
Athlon 64 4000+ CPU
Akas Evo 120 Heatpipe cooler
2Gb Corsair XMS3200 DDR Ram CAS 2.0
2x74Gb 10Krpm Raptors in RAID 0 (Striped)
2x36Gb 10Krpm Raptors in RAID 1 (Mirrored)
Asus 256Mb GeForce7800 GTX
Audigy 2ZS

Running in at default 2400MHz, 33C at idle...and very quiet.

Now I really must get a new monitor...thinking about the 24'' DELL 2405FPW:cool: Muuuuuuuuuuah..Muuuuahahah!!!!

(Apologies for my blatant big-headedness)

Last edited:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
1nteger said:
(Apologies for my blatant big-headedness)
Hey don't apologise, I reckon that spec gives you every reason to shout out loud :D

Reaction score
CITech said:
Hey don't apologise, I reckon that spec gives you every reason to shout out loud :D

I can tell by your spec that you're a person of great taste!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
1nteger said:
I can tell by your spec that you're a person of great taste!
Very kind of you to say so, but don't tell everyone or they will all be copying us :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is a VERY tasty system there 1nt! How quickly does it boot with those raptors?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
CITech said:

it sure does, its very nice indeed, what graphics card you running ?

Reaction score
Congrats on the new rig - sweet as!

What graphics card do you have?

My cousin has a couple of those... they are HUGE...really good quality... and loads of features...

Think its that model - its big, black, and wide(screen) and £500+

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That is a VERY tasty system there 1nt! How quickly does it boot with those raptors?

Boots pretty fast, but most gain is noticed in loading times for games. The mirrored raid is just for backup files (latest drivers , music dowloads etc) before i bang 'em onto CD or DVD.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Congrats on the new rig - sweet as!

What graphics card do you have?

My cousin has a couple of those... they are HUGE...really good quality... and loads of features...

Think its that model - its big, black, and wide(screen) and £500+

Oh didn't i mention the vid? It's an Asus 7800GTX.

Next buy is going to be the monitor (did you say yor cousin has TWO of the 24'' Dells?? Wow - must have loads of dosh!...nice setup!) and i'm going to get a big external drive as additional backup. I have a WD 80Gb and a WD 2.5'' 40Gb portable, but I need something over 200Gb for music. WD are my favoured drives, but if anyone has any recommendations I'd be glad to hear them.:thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
1nteger said:
Oh didn't i mention the vid? It's an Asus 7800GTX.

5eek.gif

Reaction score
Hey CITech, I'm really interested to know how the X2 4800 performs. Apart from the obvious multi-tasking pros, have you noticed benefit for game play? Looks like you have lots of storage capacity too...are you into major multi-media or graphics work?

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
1nteger said:
Hey CITech, I'm really interested to know how the X2 4800 performs. Apart from the obvious multi-tasking pros, have you noticed benefit for game play? Looks like you have lots of storage capacity too...are you into major multi-media or graphics work?
Hello mate, can't really comment on the gaming ability because I never play. When I designed the spec I had a choice of FX57 or X2 4800+, and because of my need to run multiple processes a lot of the time, I took the choice of the X2.

It has really impressed me by how many threads it can actually handle con-currently. Until the early hours of this morning I was running all THREE crunching routines, plus background monitors, SQL Server and more, and I have to admit, it has make no noticable impact on the heavy jobs which I normally run.

As for the storage, yes, there is a bit isn't there. I tend to keep all the systems I am working on for various clients on my local machines as well as on their site so that I can try things "cold" away from the "hot" live environment. Also, I do a fair amount of sound engineering for local theatre and amateur associations. (And also it was a good deal and I'm a sucker for a good deal)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
1nteger, can I ask the sensitive question now - how much did it all cost?:eek:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
1nteger, can I ask the sensitive question now - how much did it all cost?:eek:

Mobo - £115
CPU - £230
Vid £330
Cooler - £25
Ram - about £60 a stick (4x 512Mb) when i bought it a while ago
74 Gig raptors - £115 each
36 Gig raptors £75 each
Case - about £90
PSU - £100
Audio card - £60
Add on cables, Saitek keyboard, MX 1000 mouse, icemat, Creative speakers, external hard disks...etc
...and it's pushing £1700 i guess...and a 19'' monitor takes it to £2,000.

What I tend to do though is cover some of this by selling on some of my 'old' kit as part of machines I build for others. In those situations I always guarantee that whatever price they pay me for a component, I will refund it in full or put the same amount towards a replacement if it fails in 12 months.

Most of my old stuff is pretty much higher speck than average and I upgrade so often that it usually has plenty of shelf life left.

I have a Lian Li V2000B case as well that I will be buiding my really fast system in.:cool::eek::D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nice system 1nt ... very sweet. :thumb:

mucks is looking, but monies is lacking at the moment. :D

wonder how good a 'cruncher' that would make

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
mucks said:
wonder how good a 'cruncher' that would make

I did wonder myself but didn't dare say anything! :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sweet system 1nteger :thumb:

I can't help but wonder out loud though that 2 x 36Gb Raptors in a RAID 1 is something of an overkill for temporary files ;)

You could have slung an 80Gb single SATA or PATA drive in for that purpose ;)

Still, I suppose there's nothing like having the best, very nice :)

Now, 2 x 75Gb Raptors mirroring the RAID 0 (instead of) would be sweet :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Sweet system 1nteger :thumb:

I can't help but wonder out loud though that 2 x 36Gb Raptors in a RAID 1 is something of an overkill for temporary files ;)

You could have slung an 80Gb single SATA or PATA drive in for that purpose ;)

Still, I suppose there's nothing like having the best, very nice :)

Now, 2 x 75Gb Raptors mirroring the RAID 0 (instead of) would be sweet :D

Your probably right Flopps, but my 'temporary' files stay on there for quite a while and making a mirrored pair seemed the best way to protect them...usually things like music downloads, game patches and movies, etc - my absolutely essential files that I don't want to lose. I learned from painful experience that I would be tempting fate to just have one copy. Besides, 36Gb is just about right for my purposes. I also have a WD 80Gb in an external caddy and a portable 40Gb for transferring my friends' and colleagues' entire mp3 collections.
If i did have another couple of 75Gb raptors, I'd be very tempted to mirror the raid0...but I like to keep my rig of modest proportions:D

Ask a Question