    full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that there's going to be
    some issues somewhere.

    Dan

    My65notch, Oct 27, 2003

  2. My65notch

    Ben Pope Guest

    My65notch wrote:
    > Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
    > Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
    > I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.)
    > but.......I want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
    > Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want
    > to do a full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that
    > there's going to be some issues somewhere.

    With Win98 what I tend to do when changing chipset is to boot to safe mode,
    remove _all_ devices from device manager, shut down, swap motherboard, power
    on, cross fingers.

    You will want to have all of your new drivers to hand - preferably all
    sitting in a directory structure, unzipped and ready to go. Any drivers
    that were installed for devices before, such as video card should just
    install themselves again, but still worth having them handy.

    Don't be surprised if you have problems though, always expect to have to do
    an install over the top, but preferably a clean one. If the above works,
    think of it as a bonus.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 27, 2003

  3. You should be able to plug in the hard drive, but in all probability you
    will be FORCED to do a Windows reinstallation, there are huge changes
    from a P2B to any Pentium 4 system, and while you might "get lucky",
    it's more likely that they system will never be truly stable until you
    do a new installation.

    Have you considered setting up dual boot, with Windows 98SE on C:,
    Windows XP on D:, and your data files on E:?

    Barry Watzman, Oct 27, 2003
  4. My65notch

    stanmc Guest

    My65notch wrote:
    > Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
    > Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
    > I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.) but.......I
    > want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
    > Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want to do a
    > full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that there's going to be
    > some issues somewhere.
    >
    > Dan

    Here is an interesting article on the subject.

    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/win98me.htm

    stanmc, Oct 27, 2003
  5. My65notch

    FVe Guest

    "Ben Pope" <> schreef in bericht
    > My65notch wrote:
    > > Okay...to keep this on topic...My current motherboard is a P2B running a
    > > Powerleap Slotket and a 1.4.
    > > I'm looking at getting one of the new generation MB's (2.4 etc.)
    > > but.......I want to keep my current HD and everything that's on it.
    > > Can I just assemble the new MB and connect the HD and go ? I don't want
    > > to do a full Windows reinstall ( running 98SE) - but I'm sure that
    > > there's going to be some issues somewhere.

    > With Win98 what I tend to do when changing chipset is to boot to safe

    mode,
    > remove _all_ devices from device manager, shut down, swap motherboard,

    power
    > on, cross fingers.
    >
    > You will want to have all of your new drivers to hand - preferably all
    > sitting in a directory structure, unzipped and ready to go. Any drivers
    > that were installed for devices before, such as video card should just
    > install themselves again, but still worth having them handy.
    >
    > Don't be surprised if you have problems though, always expect to have to

    do
    > an install over the top, but preferably a clean one. If the above works,
    > think of it as a bonus.

    I did this a few times: no problems at all.
    Only once it gave me problems: from upgrading a P200MMX/W95 to a PIV/W98SE

    The solution in the last one was:
    goto DOS, check the CD is still functional.
    Delete the file c:\windows\win.com
    Run setup from the CD - full version.

    Now the setup "thinks" it is an upgrade and will act like that. So the
    installed programs, menus, favorites etc etc kept the way they were. Besides
    that, you get a "fresh" install.

    b.t.w.: make a good backup/image of your drive.

    hth

    Frank

    FVe, Oct 27, 2003
  6. My65notch

    DaveW Guest

    Replacing the motherboard without reinstalling the OS can lead to Registry
    errors.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Oct 29, 2003
  7. My65notch

    John Guest

    You won't have any problems. You not dealing with a piece of shit like
    WinXP. Just plug it in. Boot all the way into windows. Once it finishes
    booting load the new motherboard drivers.

    John, Oct 29, 2003