    windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim in Canada, Jul 14, 2009

  2. Jim in Canada

    Leonard Grey Guest

    I have Windows XP and Windows Media Player 11. They look like Windows
    XP. No 'Vista look' of any kind.

    Try this: Control Panel > Display > Themes tab > choose the Windows XP
    theme.

    If you installed third-party themes or third-party desktop customization
    programs, like WindowBlinds, get rid of them.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    Leonard Grey, Jul 14, 2009

  3. With Media Player running:

    Ctrl+M

    Turns the Classic Menu on and off.

    Jim

    Jim in Canada, Jul 14, 2009
  4. No Blinds or 3rd party stuff for themes. Not my style :)

    Just installed Windows Live Mail, on my XP machine, and it has a "Vista"
    look to it. Except for the "glass" effect.

    I did find if I maximise the Live Mail window, the Vista minimize, restore
    and close buttons disappear, and then are replaced by standard XP's.

    Jim in Canada, Jul 14, 2009
  5. Jim in Canada

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Live Mail is an online service. It can look any way Microsoft wants it
    to look (which, you understand, is as much about marketing as anything
    else.) That doesn't mean your operating system will look that way.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    Leonard Grey, Jul 14, 2009
  6. "Jim in Canada" <> wrote in message
    >I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live Mail,
    > etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in XP.
    >
    > I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to all my
    > windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in all of XP
    > windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the new programs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in mind that
    XP is getting and looking old.

    --

    Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

    Mike Hall - MVP, Jul 14, 2009
  7. Jim in Canada

    Twayne Guest

    "Mike Hall - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim in Canada" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live
    >> Mail, etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in
    >> XP. I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to
    >> all my windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in
    >> all of XP windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the
    >> new programs? Thanks,
    >> Jim
    >>

    > Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in
    > mind that XP is getting and looking old.

    What XP looks ike from here is stable, reliable, useful and better yet
    the LAST Microsoft OS I will EVER have to use!

    RIP MS.

    Twayne, Jul 14, 2009
  8. "Twayne" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Hall - MVP" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jim in Canada" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> I have noticed that new Microsoft programs (Media Player 11, Live
    >>> Mail, etc...) all have a "Vista Look" to their title bars. Even in
    >>> XP. I do not mind this, but I would like to have a consistent look to
    >>> all my windows. Is there a way to turn on the Vista title bars in
    >>> all of XP windows, or a way to turn off the Vista title bars in the
    >>> new programs? Thanks,
    >>> Jim
    >>>

    >> Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in
    >> mind that XP is getting and looking old.

    > What XP looks ike from here is stable, reliable, useful and better yet the
    > LAST Microsoft OS I will EVER have to use!
    >
    > RIP MS.

    That is your choice..

    Mike Hall - MVP, Jul 15, 2009
  9. Jim in Canada

    > "Twayne" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Hall - MVP" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Jim in Canada" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:...
    >>>>

    >>> Try setting XP to Classic look and see what happens. Also bear in
    >>> mind that XP is getting and looking old.

    >> What XP looks ike from here is stable, reliable, useful and better
    >> yet the LAST Microsoft OS I will EVER have to use!
    >>
    >> RIP MS.
    >>

    > That is your choice..

    Yup, it is: They've single-sourced/obsoleted/held me up for money as
    much as they're going to get to. They tried to hijack me on two apps and
    now are overpriced on just about everything they license in their plan
    to force their cloud planning while they buy time with open source
    pretensions.

    Twayne, Jul 15, 2009
  10. Is Live Mail and Live Hotmail the same thing?

    Live Mail is the new replacement for Outlook Express, yes, no?

    Jim in Canada, Jul 28, 2009
  11. Jim in Canada

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Microsoft has a history of calling different e-mail programs by
    confusingly similar names. In this case, Windows Live Mail--which used
    to go by Windows Live Mail Desktop--is the e-mail client of the Windows
    Live product line. It's supposed to be the successor to Outlook Express
    (in XP) and Windows Mail (in Vista).

    Now, Windows Live Hotmail, that's something else. Windows Live
    Hotmail--which used to go by MSN Hotmail--is a free web-based email
    service similar to Gmail or Yahoo! Mail.

    Clear as mud? You betcha.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est