Networking 98 with 2000

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking' started by ELoRPS, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. ELoRPS

    ELoRPS Guest

    Good day,

    We have 6 PC's here at work. We have NO server,, just a router, a
    firewall, and a hub that we all connect to. YES I know it's backwards,,.but
    that is the way it is. I have no real control over this as it is my
    employers will that has deemed all of this possible. ANYWAY,..we have 3 Win
    2000 PC's here and 3 Win 98 PC's. The 98 boxes can see every PC and the
    shared folders,.however the Win 2000 boxes cannot acces this ONE PC, and the
    rest of the Win 98 boxes. When I try and connect o the this one computer I
    get this

    \\Marla is not accessible
    The parameter id incorrect

    Not only is this driving me mad,..but I have been racking my brain as well.

    TCP/IP is present on all PC's
    NETBUI is present on all PC"s
    The Win 2k boxes have everyone as an ADMINISTRATOR so that they have full
    access to each other's files.

    This is very strange....

    ELORPS

    ELoRPS, Aug 13, 2003

  2. ELoRPS

    blackgold Guest

    And my problem with Win98SE and Win2000? My Win98SE can see another Win98SE
    computer, so there is no problem here. But my Win98SE can also see the
    Win2000 computer but it cannot open files from the Win2000 computer. A
    window always opens asking for password (to open the file) which I have
    never set for it. In any case I tried with all the passwords that I ever
    used but to no avail. Can anyone here help me out? Thanks for your time.

    blackgold, Aug 13, 2003

  3. ELoRPS

    Marina Roos Guest

    Make sure they are all in the same workgroup and that all useraccounts exist
    on all W2K's.

    Marina

    Marina Roos, Aug 13, 2003
  4. is the computer name marla?

    or does it have a space in the name etc? I have seen a few cases over the
    years where based on the computername you got that error. Change the Marla
    computername to just aamarla with no spaces etc. Let's see if that makes a
    difference.
    --

    Best regards,
    Brian Oakes, MCSE

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.

    Brian Oakes [MSFT], Aug 13, 2003
  5. ELoRPS

    ELoRPS Guest

    yeah the computer name is just "Marla" no spaces or nothing,...It is
    strange,..However her PC can see mine fine and share files no problem,...It
    is weird how I cannot get into her shared drive. Workgroups are all the same
    name,.all the same characters,.spelled exactly the same,...I have also
    experiamented with diferent case spelling in the name as well,.No dice...???

    --
    ELoRPS

    ELoRPS, Aug 14, 2003
  6. ELoRPS