    being asked for a 'security key' on the new laptop. where would I find this?
    --
    pmcd404

    Peter Mac, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Peter Mac

    Malke Guest

    Peter Mac wrote:
    > In trying to add a new laptop to my existing home, wireless network, I'm
    > being asked for a 'security key' on the new laptop. where would I find this?

    It will be on the wireless security section in your router's
    configuration utility. Refer to your router's manual to see how to use
    the router's configuration utility.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Peter Mac

    Kerry Brown Guest

    "Peter Mac" <> wrote in message
    > In trying to add a new laptop to my existing home, wireless network, I'm
    > being asked for a 'security key' on the new laptop. where would I find
    > this?
    > --
    > pmcd404

    In the router setup. It is the key/password/pass phrase for the wireless
    security. Depending on your router and the type of security (WEP, WPA, PA-2
    etc.) it could be called any of these things.

    --
    Kerry Brown
    Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Peter Mac

    SG Guest

    Hi,

    Well at least you or someone setup the encryption Key, so good for you.
    Depending on your router brand you will need to access it most likely
    through your browser.
    For a Linksys you will type in your browser address bar the following....
    192.168.1.1

    The default setting for the Linksys is blank and the password is admin
    Once your in, look for the Wireless tab and then the Wireless Security tab.
    You should see your Security Key and the type of Security Setup on the
    router,

    --
    All the best,
    SG