Netbook or Tablet?

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a netbook or tablet but cant decide what?
With the netbook i have seen it only comes with windows 7 starter as the o/s.
If you add more ram, external dvd-rw, windows 7 premium it soon adds up to £350.
But for £350 i could buy a good tablet + the sd card to store software on?

Or go totally different & just buy a new laptop!!

What are the benefits for a netbook or tablet over a new laptop???

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with it and how much spare cash and time you have. :user:

You could always get a Chromebook. Apparently you can set them up with Chrome os and a linux and switch between the two with a couple of key clicks.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
What are the benefits for a netbook or tablet over a new laptop???

In my opinion portability and that's about it. Depends also what you want it for. If it's just for checking the odd website out or watching a movie in bed, then a tablet is ok. If you need it for real work, then go for a new laptop.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good question, I wouldn't be sure myself what to buy. But after almost buying a tablet I stepped back, paused, and thought 'I don't actually need one', so I didn't buy one.

I think the argument about a netbook needing more memory and an external optical disk drive is a bit mute as tablets come with a predetermined amount of memory and no optical drive anyway. Most data can be read from a USB stick in both instances.

As ED said, portability should maybe be the deciding factor. And price. Real keyboard Vs touch screen? Dunno ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bought my daughter an Asus Netbook almost three years ago, it's been good, still going strong, and that's my only experience in that field.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What are you using the tablet for primarily? Web browsing and e-mail? If so, I may reconsider and go for a tablet (I should have replied sooner!). If you need a DVD drive, do video editing or need to run custom apps then a netbook/laptop would be better.

My dad got a tablet a few years ago and now hardly uses his laptop, as the tablet does it all so much quicker and easier. I'm also a big fan of them and used mine WAY more than I thought I would! :)

If you do go for a netbook, all of the big makes are pretty good now - but you'll may find that the netbook niche isn't quite the same as it was a few years ago. It has split into power powerful (and more expensive) "ultrabooks", plus lower powered laptops (10"-12") that come in at a very reasonable price.

This combo tablet/netbook looks interesting so may be worth me dropping a link :):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/T100TA-DK002H-10-1-inch-Convertible-Processor-Touchscreen/dp/B00G4E60UA/

I'm not a fan of Windows 8, but as a touchscreen OS it does work OK (and underneath works just like Windows 7).

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to do? In my case, I'd buy tablet since it's very handy when I want to browse the net( I often need it). Think of what you need :)

Reaction score
There are some situations where a tablet is better, some where a netbook is more suitable. A tablet would be more useful when travelling where its more about keeping up with what's happening, portability and the interface needs to be more responsive. Netbooks will be a great choice for people who want a durable mini laptop and who need a keyboard for doing most of the work. I don't think there is one better than the other overall, it all depends on the situation

Reaction score
I agree with breakshinny, it all comes down to use. I know money is an issue but I have found having one of each to be the best option. I have a small laptop with keyboard, and then a small 8.3 inch tablet that fits in a back pocket. So if I need to look something up quickly, or to watch videos I have the tablet, if I actually need to create a file though I tend to reach for the laptop.

Reaction score
Decided probably to go for a new laptop instead as my current one is 8 yrs old.
Just dont like the netbooks & a tablet would be nice but some are at silly prices.
Thanks for the input though.:thumb:

Ask a Question