    protected so I go on using them. Are there any alternatives?

    - For scanning a whole film (eg. with Coolscan 4000/5000) how do you
    store a whole roll safely

    B., Jul 12, 2004

  2. B.

    RSD99 Guest

    "B." posted:
    "...
    - Is there a better storage mechanism for negative strips than the
    ring folder page type (paper one side plastic other designed for
    strips to be slid in). I find this storage medium tedious if I need to
    return to an image several times but I need to ensure the film is
    protected so I go on using them. Are there any alternatives?
    ...."

    Several companies make transparent storage "pages." The ones I usually are made by Print
    File, Clear File, or View-All. Most photo vendors will have them in stock, or they can be
    ordered from *many* places :blush:n the web."

    For an example. see Print File's web site at
    http://www.printfile.com/

    RSD99, Jul 12, 2004

  3. B.

    CSM1 Guest

    "RSD99" <> wrote in message
    > "B." posted:
    > "...
    > - Is there a better storage mechanism for negative strips than the
    > ring folder page type (paper one side plastic other designed for
    > strips to be slid in). I find this storage medium tedious if I need to
    > return to an image several times but I need to ensure the film is
    > protected so I go on using them. Are there any alternatives?
    > ..."
    >
    > Several companies make transparent storage "pages." The ones I usually are

    made by Print
    > File, Clear File, or View-All. Most photo vendors will have them in stock,

    or they can be
    > ordered from *many* places :blush:n the web."
    >
    > For an example. see Print File's web site at
    > http://www.printfile.com/

    I use Photo sheets and Notebooks from:
    http://www.centuryphoto.com

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Jul 12, 2004
  4. B.

    B. Guest

    I hold the negatives by the edge but find it difficult not to touch
    the image with all the fiddling around with these type of pages (I
    find it hard to slide the film in or out smoothly). Are there some
    companies products better than others?

    I use Jessops ring binder page type (plastic on one side, tracing
    paper like on the other), each row holding strips of 6. I make sure
    the film is dry from processing but with my grip on [just the]
    non-image part of the last picture it fights me all the way - wretched
    stuff (it'll be after my tea next).

    If there was a better way to store the strips (or, indeed a whole roll
    intact) I'd be game for it..

    B., Jul 12, 2004
  5. In article <>, B.
    <> writes
    >I hold the negatives by the edge but find it difficult not to touch
    >the image with all the fiddling around with these type of pages (I
    >find it hard to slide the film in or out smoothly). Are there some
    >companies products better than others?
    >
    >I use Jessops ring binder page type (plastic on one side, tracing
    >paper like on the other), each row holding strips of 6. I make sure
    >the film is dry from processing but with my grip on [just the]
    >non-image part of the last picture it fights me all the way - wretched
    >stuff (it'll be after my tea next).
    >
    >If there was a better way to store the strips (or, indeed a whole roll
    >intact) I'd be game for it..

    As long as the roll isn't longer than 15m (*some* rollfilm backs take
    220ft or more!) then you could have a look at:
    http://www.secol.co.uk/SLEEVEROLLS.HTM

    I have never used this particular type, so I can't comment on ease of
    use, but I used something similar about 20 years ago for convenience and
    that stuff could even be rolled with the film.. sort of roll your own
    negative storage.

    Actually, I have been on the opposite quest since I have most of my film
    processed commercially these days and a lot of places cut the film into
    strips of 4 frames, not 6. This is slightly less convenient for
    scanning but I have found the slightly diffuse polythene sleeves they
    use to be far better than any of the "pro" type clear storage sheets for
    the reason you give too - easier to get the film in and out only
    touching the edges. Also, by sticking a ringbinder clasp down one side
    they fit perfectly well into a conventional four ring A4 binder which I
    interleave with "contact" sheets, that are archived with the content via
    a referencing system on a data base for quick and easy retrieval.

    Problem is, I would like to get a roll of this polythene sheeting so
    that I can transfer a lot of my old uncut rolls into the more convenient
    storage and archive method.

    I even tried writing to Boots in Nottingham (I accidentally discovered
    that Boots stores use these sleeves to return negatives these days) but
    they couldn't or wouldn't supply them or provide details of where they
    procure them. :-(
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jul 12, 2004
  6. B.

    B. Guest

    Thanks for the info - these rolls look pretty reasonable! When I lived
    in the US for a few years I used www.bhphotovideo.com for most of my
    photographic needs - I looked to see if they did the rolls that you
    are looking for. It seems that they have lots and lots of different
    systems but I couldn't find the you require (may be worth a browse
    incase I missed something).

    It's a great site genarally and despite the sometimes surely phone
    manner, these are one of the best US mail order comanies (along with
    www.focuscamera.com) that I have used (others advertise cheaper but
    often use bait and switch tactics that end up costing more).

    B., Jul 13, 2004
  7. (B.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I hold the negatives by the edge but find it difficult not to touch
    > the image with all the fiddling around with these type of pages (I
    > find it hard to slide the film in or out smoothly). Are there some
    > companies products better than others?

    <snip>

    I don't have a long history of properly storing my negatives. So far,
    my best efforts removing film from binder sheets involved inching the
    film forward from the far end (near the binder) with one hand, while
    using my other hand to hold the affected row of the storage sheet
    rigid with a very slight bend along the middle to keep the overall
    path straight. Once the film emerged, it was easy to grab an edge and
    pull it on out. When putting it back, it was again important to
    "prep" the plastic by attempting to hold it level. It can help to
    keep a finger stretched out along the underside. I then guided the
    negative gradually, one side at a time, to keep it from running up
    against either edge of the storage sheet.

    B., do you use gloves? Even cheap ones can make a world of
    difference. These worked fine once I crammed my hands into them:

    http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAG...&ac.cat.CatTreeSearch.detail=y&type=SPDSEARCH

    They catch a little easily on binder rings and the ends of the
    negative, and anything else you might label a "protrusion", but they
    haven't caused any problems with the images so far.

    I don't mean to presume, since the rest of your post indicates you're
    much closer to Kennedy's experience level than my own limited one. :)

    false_dmitrii

    false_dmitrii, Jul 13, 2004
  8. In article <>, B.
    <> writes
    >Thanks for the info - these rolls look pretty reasonable! When I lived
    >in the US for a few years I used www.bhphotovideo.com for most of my
    >photographic needs - I looked to see if they did the rolls that you
    >are looking for. It seems that they have lots and lots of different
    >systems but I couldn't find the you require (may be worth a browse
    >incase I missed something).

    I have looked through the B&H list a while back, without any luck. I
    did look again though based on your suggestion and whilst they don't
    have what I was looking for they do, however, have the stuff you are
    looking for, in 1000ft, 500ft and 250ft rolls, unperforated or
    perforated at 24 or 36 exposure lengths in 2 and 3mil thickness - quite
    a variety.

    Just got to:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=8
    96