need wav conversion for RCA "voc" files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achim Nolcken Lohse

I bought and RCA RP5016 Digital Voice Recorder a while back with the
idea of easy PC transfers (it has an SD slot) and eventual
transcription via voice recognition software.

I soon discovered a fatal hitch in the firmware and software(later I
discovered fatal flaws in the hardware as well, bot that's OT).

The files created by this DVR are in a "voc" format that is
undecipherable or unrecognizable to all the conversion programs I've
been able to locate. Oh, and apparently RCA-Thomson provides no
software support ("send it in for repair" say the help desk staff, if
you can find a way to contact them.)

I've been told that I might be able to get around the problem by
playing the files (using the RCA Digital Voice Manager) through a
sound card, and then capturing the output in a program that can resave
them to the "wav" format required by the voice recognition software.
But I understand I'll have to install a different sound card (a
process that recalls images of hell), and I wonder how much
degradation of the original will result from this re-recording.

So I'm still hoping there's a program out there that can convert these
files to standard "wav" format.

Susan Bugher

Achim said:
[...]

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. . . ISTM you should be
able to capture the audio playback signal as a wave file with Wave
Repair. dunno why you would need a new sound card to do that. . .

Program: Wave Repair
Author: Clive Backham
Ware: (Liteware) (Nagware) (free) recording and track splitting
functions are free
http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

re playback some info from a bit of Googling:

"foobar2000 0.8.1" "Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV,
AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC"

The PL2006 CD has these files: foobar2000_0.8.3_lite.exe
foobar2000_0.8.3.exe foobar2000_0.8.3_special.exe

OS: Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Helen

Eugene said:

Can someone please inform me what is so great about Foobar 2000! Can it record?
If so, I haven't found it, and that's the ONLY reason I downloaded it. I have enough 'players'
and if a file won't play on what I have, hang-it, I'll just not listen to it. To heck with all
this
seeming trend toward proprietary software and sales BS "my player's better than your
player, my player's better than yours'...because I have loads of eye candy and MTVish
ghoulish, ucky crapola. BTW, I think the Foobar 2000 icon stinks! Merely an imitation
of a music site that started it all and wound up wounded in court...sorry for the rant but
frankly I have yet to see any advantage in Foobar! What am I missing? TIA

Helen

Author: Clive Backham
Ware: (Liteware) (Nagware) (free) recording and track splitting
functions are free
http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

re playback some info from a bit of Googling:

"foobar2000 0.8.1" "Audio formats supported "out-of-the-box": WAV,
AIFF, VOC, AU, SND, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, MP2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC"

The PL2006 CD has these files: foobar2000_0.8.3_lite.exe
foobar2000_0.8.3.exe foobar2000_0.8.3_special.exe

OS: Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP

Susan

Thanks very much Susan. Have downloaded Wave Repair and will try it in
the next couple of weeks and let you know how it worked for me.

Eugene Esterly III

Helen said:
Can someone please inform me what is so great about Foobar 2000! Can it record?
If so, I haven't found it, and that's the ONLY reason I downloaded it. I have enough 'players'
and if a file won't play on what I have, hang-it, I'll just not listen to it. To heck with all
this
seeming trend toward proprietary software and sales BS "my player's better than your
player, my player's better than yours'...because I have loads of eye candy and MTVish
ghoulish, ucky crapola. BTW, I think the Foobar 2000 icon stinks! Merely an imitation
of a music site that started it all and wound up wounded in court...sorry for the rant but
frankly I have yet to see any advantage in Foobar! What am I missing? TIA

Helen

I always recommend Foobar 2000 because it is my favorite player, has
been for the past several years. I was a supporter of Winamp for many
years but stop using it after it kept lockign up. Foobar 2000 uses less
memory than Winamp & don't crash as much & it is supported by a lot of
plugin writers.

Unlike Winamp, Foobar 2000 has always been freeware. There is a
Wikipedia page about Foobar 2000 at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar2000 .

Now, Foobar 0.8.3 support recording but version 0.9 doesn't right now &
that is that plugins made for a certain version of Foobar won't run on
newer versions. For example, plugins made for Foobar 2000 8.x will not
run on version 9.x, the plugins would have to be re-compiled.

So you don't like Foobar but I will keep recommeding it since it is a
very good audio player.

Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Yes, you can convert the .voc to a .wav file in the RCA Digital Manager, but why bother with having this app on your computer and having to go through the hassle of converting each file every time you want to play one on your computer? I found a simple solution in the RCA manual. Press info/menu and hold for 2 seconds to get into the menu. Press info/menu repeatedly until the recording quality menu appears. (LP, SP, or HQ). Press |<<</>>>| until you see the selection "HQ." Now all your files will be recorded in .wav format forever unless you change the quality setting back again.