Need to disable offer from Outlook Express "to free up disk space, outlook express can compact messa

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Kevin J. Nielsen, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. Every time I close Outlook Express, I get the following message: "to free up
    disk space, outlook express can compact messages."

    I have read about this and I understand it does not diminish the integrity
    of my messages.

    However, the problem I have is that I cannot stand it when programs like
    this keep bugging me relentlessly until I do what they want me to do. I
    want to have the choice to say yes or no. This program does not give me
    that choice because it keeps bugging me until it gets its way.

    I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me how to stop these
    annoying pop-ups.

    Thank You very much

    Keven

    Kevin J. Nielsen, Apr 2, 2007

  2. Microsoft went to this because people didn't compact space as they should
    have. You either let things go too long (in which case you should get the
    message) or you have enourmous space requirements (do you keep ALL of your
    emails?). The prudent thing to do is to compact periodically, manually
    before the message screams at you to do something you should have already
    done.

    --
    YKW~
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have

    You Know Who ~, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Thank you for your response. It is nice to know I can compact manually if I
    want to. However, I would still like the decision to be mine. I wish to
    have a choice but Microsoft gives me no choice. I guess it was in one of
    the updates I received from Microsoft. Thank you, that gives me a clue, I
    could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.

    Keven

    Kevin J. Nielsen, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Gordon Guest

    Kevin J. Nielsen wrote:

    > Thank you for your response. It is nice to know I can compact manually if
    > want to. However, I would still like the decision to be mine. I wish to
    > have a choice but Microsoft gives me no choice. I guess it was in one of
    > the updates I received from Microsoft. Thank you, that gives me a clue, I
    > could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.
    >
    > Keven

    The reason it was changed to automatic was that if you do not compact OE
    folders on a regular basis (and the setting for the automatic compaction is
    having launched OE 100 times - so if you only open it once a day then
    automatic compaction is only offered just over every THREE months.....)
    there is grave danger of folder corruption.....and there were many posts on
    the OE groups complaining about sudden corruption of folders and loss of
    data, all due to not compacting on a regular basis.

    Gordon, Apr 2, 2007
  5. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Jerry Ed Guest

    I use the following because my computer is on at 1:00AM every morning:

    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools,
    and then click Scheduled Tasks.
    Add Scheduled Task

    Under the Task tab > Run: , type C:\Tasks\RunTasks.bat
    Under the Task tab > Start in: , type C:\Tasks
    Under the Task tab > Run as: , your computer name\your account name
    (Note: the account name must have a password (not blank), for Scheduled Task
    service to run)
    Under the Task tab > check the box for "Enabled (scheduled task runs at
    specified time)"

    Under the Schedule tab > Schedule Task:, enter Daily
    Under the Schedule tab > Start time:, enter 1:00AM
    Under the Schedule tab > Every:, enter 1
    Hit OK and exit .

    Open Windows Explorer.
    Create the directory Tasks on the C: drive (C:\Tasks)
    Use Notepad to create the following .bat files and .reg file in C:\Tasks

    ----RunTasks.bat----------------------
    @ECHO OFF
    REM ---------change registry so email wont compress---
    call C:\Tasks\NoCompact.bat

    ----NoCompact.bat-------------------
    regedit.exe /s C:\Tasks\NoCompact.reg

    ----NoCompact.reg-------------------
    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{......what ever your idenity
    is.........}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]
    "Compact Check Count"=dword:00000000

    The above registery change makes sure that the count never gets to 100
    (which causes the compress or pop-ups).
    The counter is set to zero every night at 1:00AM.
    I can compress the email whenever I think about it...which is not to often.

    If you do NOT want to run a scheduled task every day, then create a batch
    file
    that launches Outlook Express.
    The batch file also includes the procedure to zero the count.

    ----LaunchOE.bat-----------------------------
    @ECHO OFF
    REM ---------change registry so email wont compress---
    call C:\Tasks\NoCompact.bat
    MSIMN.EXE

    Create a shortcut from LaunchOE.bat
    Drag the shortcut to the desk top.
    Use the shortcut to launch OE.

    have a nice day,
    JE

    Jerry Ed, Apr 2, 2007
  6. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Jerry Ed Guest

    Forget the LaunchOE.bat suggestion....it doesn't work.
    JE

    Jerry Ed, Apr 2, 2007
  7. Kevin J. Nielsen

    PA Bear Guest

    > ...I could start uninstalling the updates until the problem goes away.

    It's not a problem, it's behavior you dislike.

    If you want to risk corruption of your OE store (possible loss of some or
    all of your messages) and run a much-less secure version of OE, go right
    ahead and do that, Keven/Kevin. You'd be cutting off your nose to spite
    your face IMHO.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    PA Bear, Apr 2, 2007
  8. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Jerry Ed Guest

    You have to use:
    start C:\Progra~1\Outloo~1\MSIMN.EXE

    Jerry Ed, Apr 2, 2007
  9. It is my understanding that the only way I would risk corruption is if I
    wait too long between compacting OE messages. If I never compact OE at all,
    I have no risk of corruption.

    That is exactly what I would like to do.. Never compact my messages. I wish
    to never risk my messages at all. I have plenty of HD space and I am not
    worried about the space requirements, I simply want to have a choice.

    Are you guys going to keep hekling me or does someone have an anwer to my
    question

    Keven

    Kevin J. Nielsen, Apr 3, 2007
  10. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Gordon Guest

    Kevin J. Nielsen wrote:

    > It is my understanding that the only way I would risk corruption is if I
    > wait too long between compacting OE messages. If I never compact OE at
    > all, I have no risk of corruption.

    That's not correct AFAIK - many problems in OE with regard to corrupt
    folders and loss of data seem to be caused precisely BECAUSE the user did
    not compact on a regular basis....

    Gordon, Apr 3, 2007
  11. Kevin J. Nielsen

    PA Bear Guest

    X-post to OE General newsgroup.

    > It is my understanding that the only way I would risk corruption is if I
    > wait too long between compacting OE messages. If I never compact OE at
    > all,
    > I have no risk of corruption.

    Think again, Kevin. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

    > Are you guys going to keep hekling me or does someone have an anwer to my
    > question

    Your question has been answered. To disable Compact Count from being reset
    to 0 (zero) after compacting manually, uninstall KB923694. To disable
    Automatic Compacting, uninstall WinXP Service Pack 2.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    PA Bear, Apr 3, 2007
  12. > "Jerry Ed" <> wrote in message
    I use the following because my computer is on at 1:00AM every morning:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools,
    and then click Scheduled Tasks. Add Scheduled Task Under the Task tab Run: ,
    type C:\Tasks\RunTasks.bat Under the Task tab Start in: , type C:\Tasks
    Under the Task tab Run as: , your computer name\your account name
    >> (Note: the account name must have a password (not blank), for Scheduled
    >> Task service to run)
    >> Under the Task tab > check the box for "Enabled (scheduled task runs at
    >> specified time)"

    Under the Schedule tab > Schedule Task:, enter Daily Under the Schedule tab
    > Start time:, enter 1:00AM

    Under the Schedule tab > Every:, enter 1 Hit OK and exit .

    Open Windows Explorer. Create the directory Tasks on the C: drive
    (C:\Tasks) Use Notepad to create the following .bat files and .reg file in
    C:\Tasks

    >> ----RunTasks.bat----------------------
    >> @ECHO OFF
    >> REM ---------change registry so email wont compress---
    >> call C:\Tasks\NoCompact.bat
    >>
    >> ----NoCompact.bat-------------------
    >> regedit.exe /s C:\Tasks\NoCompact.reg
    >>
    >> ----NoCompact.reg-------------------
    >> REGEDIT4
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{......what ever your idenity
    >> is.........}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]
    >> "Compact Check Count"=dword:00000000
    >>
    >> The above registery change makes sure that the count never gets to 100
    >> (which causes the compress or pop-ups). The counter is set to zero every
    >> night at 1:00AM. I can compress the email whenever I think about
    >> it...which is not to often.
    >>

    >> If you do NOT want to run a scheduled task every day, then create a batch
    >> file that launches Outlook Express.

    The batch file also includes the procedure to zero the count.

    >> ----LaunchOE.bat-----------------------------
    >> @ECHO OFF
    >> REM ---------change registry so email wont compress---
    >> call C:\Tasks\NoCompact.bat
    >> MSIMN.EXE
    >>

    >> Create a shortcut from LaunchOE.bat
    >> Drag the shortcut to the desk top.
    >> Use the shortcut to launch OE.
    >>
    >> have a nice day,
    >> JE

    Thank You very much Jerry Ed. That is exactly what I was looking for. It
    is nice to be able to have more control over my computer.

    Also, thank you to every one else who helped me see the light. Thank you
    especially to Pa Bear for sending me that link so I could learn more about
    Outlook Express.

    Thanks again

    Keven

    Kevin J. Nielsen, Apr 3, 2007
  13. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Richard Guest

    --
    > cbremner
    > View this thread:
    >http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/717789.htm

    In Outlook Express, in the Folders window on the left, click Outlook
    Express at the top. Next, on the menu bar, click File, checkmark Work
    Offline, if it is not already checkmarked. Next, click File again, click
    Folder, click Compact All Folders. Wait for it to finish. If it still says
    that a folder is in use, close OE, re-open OE, repeat above instructions
    to compact.

    Here is the Outlook Express newsgroup:

    HTH. --Richard

    Richard, Oct 18, 2009
  14. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Swifty Guest

    Re: Need to disable offer from Outlook Express "to free up disk space,outlook express can compact messages"

    DDFWOLF wrote:
    > This is VERY VERY annoying. I do not use Outlook express.
    > I have gone into the add remove programs / windows components and
    > deselected outlook express. I have looked for outlook express in any
    > start up folders - nothing. Still I get this message every time XP
    > restarts. Any body have any ideas? Thanxs in advance.

    You are not alone. It doesn't affect me at every reboot, but it's done
    it a few times for me. I may have used Outlook Express a few years ago;
    maybe I'm now paying the price.

    --
    Steve Swift
    http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

    Swifty, Nov 2, 2009
  15. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Jose Guest

    On Nov 2, 2:44 pm, Swifty <> wrote:
    > DDFWOLF wrote:
    > > This is VERY VERY annoying. I do not use Outlook express.
    > > I have gone into the add remove programs / windows components and
    > > deselected outlook express. I have looked for outlook express in any
    > > start up folders - nothing. Still I get this message every time XP
    > > restarts. Any body have any ideas? Thanxs in advance.

    > You are not alone. It doesn't affect  me at every reboot, but it's done
    > it a few times for me. I may have used Outlook Express a few years ago;
    > maybe I'm now paying the price.
    >
    > --
    > Steve Swifthttp://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.htmlhttp://www.ringers.org.uk

    I don't use OE and really don't care about the "danger" of not
    compacting, compacting, why you should, backing the OE stuff up but I
    can tell you what is happening and why and you can decide what to do
    or what not to do.

    I am using XP Pro SP3 and have no idea or interest about how older
    version work.

    There is a registry value Compact Check Count that when it goes over
    to 100, signals OE to prompt to compress the DB when you exit OE.
    Every time you exit OE (not when you open), it increases the counter
    by one increment. When it gets to 101, the next time you close OE you
    will be asked to compress.

    If you are using Windows Desktop Search, it will also bump the counter
    every time it runs which is usually on every reboot. If you are using
    both OE and WDS, the counter will get bumped more frequently - every
    time you close OE and every time you reboot.

    If you are not using OE and only using WDS, that will still bump the
    counter, so when the counter gets to 100, WDS will ask you to compress
    the messages on the next reboot anyway. This is because WDS is set up
    by default to search the OE database whether your are using OE or
    not. I don't use WDS either, but this is how it works.

    No matter how the counter is increased, if you are using at least one
    of those two, you will see this message sooner or later. But, you can
    stop it when you understand it.

    You can compress the DB when prompted which will reset the counter to
    0, you can edit the registry and reset the counter by hand to buy some
    time, if you are only using WDS you can tell WDS not to ever look at
    the OE database, you can just not use OE or WDS (like me) and/or you
    can suppress the message completely even when the counter does go over
    100 no matter how it got there.

    What's your pleasure?

    Jose, Nov 3, 2009
  16. Kevin J. Nielsen

    Jose wrote:
    > You can compress the DB when prompted which will reset the counter to
    > 0, you can edit the registry and reset the counter by hand to buy some
    > time, if you are only using WDS you can tell WDS not to ever look at
    > the OE database, you can just not use OE or WDS (like me) and/or you
    > can suppress the message completely even when the counter does go over
    > 100 no matter how it got there.
    >
    > What's your pleasure?

    I chose to exclude OE from WDS, so I'm out of the game, thank you.

    I also allowed the compression this morning, so now have a counter
    rooted at zero with luck.

    Swifty, Nov 4, 2009