Need Suggestions

G

I have a scenario where I need to connect 2 computers over the internet, the host is on DSL, the remote pc is on cable. The remote PC has a software firewall, the host will most likely have some form of cheap router.

Do I need a VPN to use remote desktop securely, or does remote desktop encrypt data over the wire?
Any configuration recommendations?

G

Remote Desktop is natively encrypted the same as VPN. You would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 through any firewall/NAT/routers for the connection to work. If you want to simply access files/folders on the remote PC, versus taking control, a VPN might be a better choice. Then you can both access files/folders and/or run Remote Desktop through the VPN tunnel

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us..
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.co
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights..

----- Jeff wrote: ----

I have a scenario where I need to connect 2 computers over the internet, the host is on DSL, the remote pc is on cable. The remote PC has a software firewall, the host will most likely have some form of cheap router.

Do I need a VPN to use remote desktop securely, or does remote desktop encrypt data over the wire
Any configuration recommendations?

Ask a Question