Need some help understanding USB Controllers on computer

T. Duprex

Running on Windows XP Pro SP2

I'd like to make sure all my usb ports on my laptop are USB 2.0

In Device Manager Under Universal Serial Bus controllers I show the
following:

Intel(r) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - 24C7
USB Conposite Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

There are four usb ports on my laptop. Is the above showing that only one
of the ports is USB 2.0? I can plug in external drives to any of the ports
and they work at USB 2.0 speed. Or does this mean only one of the four
ports can be used at USB 2.0 port at any one time?
I don't understand what device manager is showing. I would appreciate very
much a brief explination of what Device Manager USB Controllers is
describing.

TIA

You Know Who ~

If one of your USB ports is 2.0, all of them are. Of course, some devices
you have attached might not be able to use USB2 and would just run slower.

Gene K

The word "Enhanced" means that controller is capable of USB 2.0 speed and
the fact that you have tested all USB jacks at USB 2.0 means that they are
all
capable and can be used for that purpose.

--
Gene Kelly

"T. Duprex" <tduprexATlandmark.net> wrote in message
[...]

Rock

You Know Who ~ said:
If one of your USB ports is 2.0, all of them are. Of course, some devices
you have attached might not be able to use USB2 and would just run slower.

Sorry but that is not so. You can have USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 ports in the
same system. It depends on whether the controller they are on is an
enhanced controller.

T. Duprex

Intel(r) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - 24C7

I made a mistake im my origianl post, This should have read:

Intel(r) 8280 1DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

Since I only have one Enhanced Host controller, one port and only one port
of my four can be USB 2 at any one time? Or, because I have an Enhanced
controller can all ports can be USB 2?

Why do I have three Universal Host Controllers if all I have is USB 2
capable ports?

Does each port need an individual controller?

Uwe Sieber

These are USB host controllers. Host controller have multiple
USB ports. USB ports are not listed in the device manager.

A physical USB 2.0 host controller has two logical 'incarnation':
One for USB 2.0, one for USB 1.1. The USB 1.1 incarnation is
often splitted to multiple logical host controllers with two
ports each. So I assume that your laptop has in sum six USB 2.0
ports, some external, some internal.

With Microsoft UVCView you can see the USB ports:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/stream/vidcap/UVCView.mspx

Greetings from Germany

Uwe

Noncompliant

A controller controls 2 ports. The ports are the physical USB connectors on
your computer.

The enhanced controller is the USB 2.0 driver. It enables any and all
capable USB 2.0 controller (Intel specific in your case) to operate at that
speed.

Whether all such USB controllers are of USB 2.0 capability is another matter
on your computer. Some computer/motherboard makers chose to put one USB 2.0
capable controller, and remainder USB 1.1 controller(s). In some cases, a
USB controller connector is on the motherboard for facility for a front
panel connection for 2 USB ports. May be visible in XP, but no
corresponding USB ports for it external to the computer.