Need major help, Bios update, CPU not to full potential?

Reaction score
Hey hey! Me again =]

I've got my pc up and running (at last) and when i turn on the computer i get the single beep... Then shortly after i get 4 short beeps in a row, and i get the statement "Unknown CPU detected, Bios update is required to unleash it's full power"

And last time, a week ago, I tried this bios update alone.... And broke the motherboad...

My mobo is ASUS P5N32-E-SLI

Is there any way that i can get help with this?? Instructions??

Or if not, Would you know a good source on how to do this? As ASUS is a bit vague with it's instructions =/

Thanks =D

Reaction score
What CPU are you using..? Is it supported by ASUS..? Did the Mobo and CPU come as a bundle..?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You mean when you attempted to update the bios you corrupted it and now the board won't POST?

If so, I'm not aware of any software method although I haven't searched for one but the answer used to be fitting a fresh bios IC (chip, integrated circuit) to the board then flashing it with the latest Bios.

You should be able to order the IC - probably pre-loaded with a Bios - from Asus or an Asus agent.

Unless somebody here knows another method, which I suspect there may be.

Reaction score
Sorry to be blunt but may I make a suggestion?

Read your manual mate ;)

See if any of the below helps

CrashFree BIOS 2
The CrashFree BIOS2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support DVD. Users can reboot their system through the support DVD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process. ASUS motherboards now enable users to enjoy this protection feature without the need to pay for an optional ROM.

ASUS EZ Flash 2
EZ Flash 2 is a user-friendly BIOS update utility. Simply launch this tool and update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS. You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or using an OS-based flash utility.

You can buy a BIOS but it aint cheap

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is a way around it if the BIOS is corrupted..You can "Hot Flash"
Hot flashing is basically the same as a plain jane BIOS flash - you use a BIOS flash utility to flash a BIOS image into the Flash ROM. However, there is a twist to it. Hot flashing requires you to swap BIOS chips while the system is running! That's what the word 'hot' in hot flashing means - you swap the BIOS chip when your system is 'hot'. And for all of this you need a nother Machine running the same Mobo as yours.

Reaction score
Woah xD

I haven't read all of the posts yet.

But my mobo is compatible with the CPU

It's an intel dual core 3.00ghz

Thanks everyone i will keep you posted xD

Oh and the EZ flash is what is used last time... I guess i did it wrong lol cos i rendered the motherboard useless =/

I'm pretty sure the bios isn't corrupted... Getting 2 motherboards same make and having the both corrupt is very unlikely, no?

=]

IN all honesty... i really dunno what i am doing here... Do you think that i should attempt it again and risk the motherboard messing up (bearing in mind this time i will read the instructions etc.) or do you think that i should get a professional to do the job for me... If you think the professional, how much do you think it will cost??

Thanks alot =D

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just by way of mentioning, I updated my Asus M2N-sli Deluxe Bios yesterday from 1302 to 1502, within Windows. Completely painless :) I used the Asus update software that is on the motherboard CD.

Roflcopter66: Can you enter the Bios on the corrupted machine? If so you can access the EZ Flash facility.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Just by way of mentioning, I updated my Asus M2N-sli Deluxe Bios yesterday from 1302 to 1502, within Windows. Completely painless :) I used the Asus update software that is on the motherboard CD.

Roflcopter66: Can you enter the Bios on the corrupted machine? If so you can access the EZ Flash facility.

Yeah i can get to the EZ flash bit xD

But when i get in there... I have no idea what to do... And oh my god have you seen the lingo in these manuals xD

That's why i don't like reading it haha

Hmmm i have the update software i will try to do it that way... but i don't think i can =S

Anyways lol thank xD

Reaction score
I have just downloaded the new update... And it's now in the asus>update folder

But i'm guessing i have to manually update it... Yes?

=]

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I f you have the update downloaded you should be able to install it with the EZ Flash tool.

user.gif

Ask a Question