    again.

    Thanks,
    mspetulia

    Guest, Jul 30, 2007

    RalfG Guest

    It's telling you that it found a virus in one of your System Restore points.
    Any change Avast could make to the file would render the restore point
    unusable. I might be inclined to double check that finding with a second
    scan using Trendmicro's free online scanner:

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    The reason being that the usual procedure if the system restore points are
    infected is to delete all of the restore points (you can't delete just one).

    RalfG, Jul 30, 2007

    Elmo Guest

    mspetulia wrote:
    > I installed Avast anti-spyware and when asked if I wanted to do a boot scan,
    > I said yes. When it finished, it said File C:\System Volume
    > Information\_restore{11B4CBBO-31BO-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP1461\AO249264.DLL is infected by Win32;Adware-gen. [ADW]
    >
    > It then gives me 11 options, and I don't know which one I'm supposed to
    > choose.
    > Delete; delete all; move; move all; move to chest; move all to chest;
    > repair; repair all; ignore; ignore all; exit.
    >
    > This may be a dumb question, but I've just gotten my system back up and
    > running after a crash involving Norton, and I don't want to mess things up
    > again.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > mspetulia

    That a restore point that also includes the virus. I always select
    "Delete All". When the Windows folder has a virus, you may be prompted
    for the same thing again. "Delete All" again. If you do a bootscan,
    press the number 2 at both prompts.

    My sentiment is, that, if it's a virus, you don't want it running. If
    it's a system file that has been compromised, it should be replaced
    automatically by Windows, or you can run SFC /SCANNOW to repair or
    replace the file.

    hth,

    --
    Joe =o)

    Elmo, Jul 30, 2007

    "mspetulia" wrote:

    > I installed Avast anti-spyware and when asked if I wanted to do a boot scan,
    > I said yes. When it finished, it said File C:\System Volume
    > Information\_restore{11B4CBBO-31BO-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP1461\AO249264,DLL is infected by Win32;Adware-gen. [ADW]
    >
    > It then gives me 11 options, and I don't know which one I'm supposed to
    > choose.
    > Delete; delete all; move; move all; move to chest; move all to chest;
    > repair; repair all; ignore; ignore all; exit.
    >
    > This may be a dumb question, but I've just gotten my system back up and
    > running after a crash involving Norton, and I don't want to mess things up
    > again.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > mspetulia

    Move to the chest, then perform a Full scan and ask it to remove or Repair
    the File/folder infected.
    Righ click on your MY Computer, select properties.
    On the System properties Click on System Restore Tab, Turn OFF System
    Restore on All Drivers then Click Apply.
    Again before closing the window by clicking [OK] Uncheck the check Box for
    turning System Restore and windows hopefully will create a clean healthy
    Restore point if Avast did manage to remove the Viral infection.

    If Avast still reporting the System Restore is infected try to download
    HijackThis and send the log to many forums on the Internet for analysis:
    Download the Hijackthis and send the report to one of
    many
    forums for analysis and troubleshooting:
    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. Post
    your log to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
    http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7, or other appropriate
    forums for expert analysis, not here.
    HTH.
    nass
    -----
    www.nasstec.co.uk

    Guest, Jul 30, 2007

    Plato Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?bXNwZXR1bGlh?= wrote:

    > I installed Avast anti-spyware and when asked if I wanted to do a boot scan,
    > I said yes. When it finished, it said File C:\System Volume
    > Information\_restore{11B4CBBO-31BO-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP1461\AO249264,DLL is infected by Win32;Adware-gen. [ADW]

    The badware is in your restore point. Delete all restore points then try
    again.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 31, 2007