Need AC/DC Adapter Advice please

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have just purchased a personal CD player - yes, it's "old tech" and nothing special. Our better-quality audio players are situated in the sitting room, and computer room, so we wanted a bog-standard, small unit, just for the kitchen.

That explained... it sounds surprisingly good, when a line is run from it, into the decent stereo speakers of the kitchen DAB radio.

I'd prefer to use the mains, rather than feed the CD-player with oodles of batteries. There is a "universal" adapter HERE, which looks ok to my untrained eye... but I would appreciate your views? Are there better, or more appropriate options do you think? Naturally, electrical safety is a high priority.

The CD-player is DC 4.5V and consumes 2W

The adaptor linked above, has a 1.2 Amp max load (would that be compatible?)

(Before anyone mentions that Google is my friend... yes, I know it is... but trying to work-out Amps, Volts and Watts eqivalents ....... makes my hair hurt! :lol:)

Thank you for reading :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The adapter's fine, 1.2A is more than enough to supply 4.5V @ 2W.

Just make sure you get the polarity correct when connecting, the player will have a small logo at the DC input showing polarity and your universal adapter will be switchable as regards polarity.

EDIT: Or if the polarity isn't switchable, it may be selected by which way round you insert the plug suitable for your player into the adapter's cable socket.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Flopps and many thanks for your reply.

The symbol on the player is this: which (I understand after a quick Wiki check) means that it's centre positive. Thanks for the heads-up on that, I'll be sure to pay attention to that, when I get the adapter. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I ordered the adaptor around 4:30 pm yesterday, and it has just been delivered (09:57 am) - yay! It looks pretty good too, so will now put it to the test. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
SHE CAN'T HEAR YOU! :D
Yes she can... but there was a bit of an echo lol

Actually, we're very pleased with the adapter, it works perfectly.

There are a whole range of jack connectors, nicely stored in a rubber block. They'll be useful for any other battery-operated gizmos, which might need AC power, at some point. :D

Ask a Question