Need a certain freeware search utility

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by wylbur37, May 19, 2005.

  1. wylbur37

    wylbur37 Guest

    I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
    capabilities ...

    1. Locate all files ...
    (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
    OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
    OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"

    Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
    file and simply specify the name of the file. (That way, I can
    repeat searches on different drives at different times without
    having to retype all the criteria). The file representing the above
    criteria might contain something like this ...

    abc*
    xyz*.exe
    specific.dat

    2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
    "second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
    (In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
    therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
    stream of characters anyway).

    So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?

    If there isn't one that does both, I'm willing to use two different
    programs as long as one program can do one and the other program can
    do the other.

    wylbur37, May 19, 2005

  2. wylbur37

    Ian Riches Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
    > capabilities ...
    >

    > 1. Locate all files ...
    > (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
    > OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
    > OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"

    You haven't specified which OS you want this for, so I am assuming you
    are running Windows? In that case, Windows itself (or at least my copy
    of XP Pro) will do the above.

    Open an Explorer window, choose "Search", and then enter the terms
    separated by a semicolon.

    > Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
    > file and simply specify the name of the file.

    That it cannot do.

    > 2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
    > "second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
    > (In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
    > therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
    > stream of characters anyway).

    But that it can.

    > So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?

    WinXP is not freeware (OT alert!), but if you have it already, you may
    find that it is all that you need.

    --
    Ian Riches
    Bedford, UK

    Ian Riches, May 19, 2005

  3. wylbur37

    thoss Guest

    In article <>,
    wylbur37 <> writes
    >I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
    >capabilities ...
    >

    >1. Locate all files ...
    > (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
    > OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
    > OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"
    >
    > Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
    > file and simply specify the name of the file. (That way, I can
    > repeat searches on different drives at different times without
    > having to retype all the criteria). The file representing the above
    > criteria might contain something like this ...
    >
    > abc*
    > xyz*.exe
    > specific.dat
    >

    >2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
    > "second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
    > (In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
    > therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
    > stream of characters anyway).
    >

    >So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?
    >
    >If there isn't one that does both, I'm willing to use two different
    >programs as long as one program can do one and the other program can
    >do the other.

    ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
    searches for the two strings.

    Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
    indispensable.
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, May 19, 2005
  4. wylbur37

    Joe935 Guest

    wylbur37 wrote:
    :> I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
    :> capabilities ...
    :>
    :>
[...]

    Locate32 may meet some of your needs:
    http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/english/softwares.shtml

    Joe Calderone Don't Force it, Use a bigger Hammer.

    Joe935, May 19, 2005
  5. wylbur37

    Mel Guest

    >On 19 May 2005 02:45:19 -0700, "wylbur37" wrote:
    >
    >I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
    >capabilities ...
    >
    >1. Locate all files ...
    > (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
    > OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
    > OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"
    >
    > Ideally, I should be able to put the filename criteria in a text
    > file and simply specify the name of the file. (That way, I can
    > repeat searches on different drives at different times without
    > having to retype all the criteria). The file representing the above
    > criteria might contain something like this ...
    >
    > abc*
    > xyz*.exe
    > specific.dat
    >
    >2. Locate all files that contain the string "first" and the string
    > "second" in the same file, but NOT necessarily the same line.
    > (In fact, the file should not be assumed to be a text file and
    > therefore the entire file should be treated as one continuous
    > stream of characters anyway).
    >
    >So, is there a freeware search utility that does both of the above?
    >
    >If there isn't one that does both, I'm willing to use two different
    >programs as long as one program can do one and the other program can
    >do the other.

    Agent Ransack is a free tool for finding files and information on your
    hard drive fast and efficiently. When searching the contents of files
    Agent Ransack displays the text found so you can quickly browse the
    results without having to separately open each file!

    Agent Ransack provides compelling advantages over similar search tools:
    - Regular expressions that allow complex rule based searches.
    - Immediate contents results view.
    - Various wizards to walk the user through the searching process.

    Agent Ransack is provided FREE of charge for the benefit of the Windows
    community. If you find it useful please register it, free of charge.

    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=home

    Mel, May 19, 2005
  6. "wylbur37" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I'm looking for a freeware search utility that has the following
    > capabilities ...
    >

    > 1. Locate all files ...
    > (a) whose filename begins with "abc"
    > OR (b) whose filename begins with "xyz" and extension is "exe"
    > OR (c) whose filename is "specific.dat"

    In TrackerV3 (http://www.trackerv3.com/) you'd enter "abc* or xyz*.exe or
    specific.dat" as search term. You can then save this as a search template or
    define it as a "find tab" (to have a one-click access to the search).

    Your other wish: nope. No Boolean logic for contained strings in the current
    version.

    Don

    Donald Lessau, May 19, 2005
  7. wylbur37

    jmatt Guest

    > ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
    > searches for the two strings.
    > Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
    > indispensable.
    > Thoss

    Thoss & others may like to know about this .

    EXTREME
    http://go.to/filextreme
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
    The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
    written. EXTREME is a
    native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
    elegance of XTREE with new
    features such as long file names and protected memory support.

    * Please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/sixfiles

    jmatt, May 20, 2005
  8. wylbur37

    thoss Guest

    In article <>, jmatt <-dot-
    au.no-spam.invalid> writes
    >> ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
    >> searches for the two strings.
    >> Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
    >> indispensable.
    >> Thoss

    >Thoss & others may like to know about this .
    >
    >EXTREME
    >http://go.to/filextreme
    >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
    >The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
    >written.

    Agreed. I still use it.

    > EXTREME is a
    >native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
    >elegance of XTREE with new
    >features such as long file names and protected memory support.

    Thanks. I'll check it out. How does it compare with ZTree, though?
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, May 21, 2005
  9. wylbur37

    David Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:50:18 +0100, thoss <> typed
    furiously:

    >In article <>, jmatt <-dot-
    >au.no-spam.invalid> writes
    >>> ZTree will do all this - and much more. (2) will need successive
    >>> searches for the two strings.
    >>> Unfortunately it isn't freeware, it's shareware. I find it
    >>> indispensable.
    >>> Thoss

    >>Thoss & others may like to know about this .
    >>
    >>EXTREME
    >>http://go.to/filextreme
    >>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
    >>The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
    >>written.

    >Agreed. I still use it.
    >
    >> EXTREME is a
    >>native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
    >>elegance of XTREE with new
    >>features such as long file names and protected memory support.
    >>

    >Thanks. I'll check it out. How does it compare with ZTree, though?

    I found XTREE to be clumsy in comparison with Stereo Shell. I'm only
    sorry that Stereo Shell doesn't work with Long Filenames. I still use
    it as my primary viewer for text files and quick movement of files in
    a DOS environment.

    --
    David
    Remove "farook" to reply

    David, May 22, 2005
  10. wylbur37

    thoss Guest

    In article <>, David
    <> writes
    >On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:50:18 +0100, thoss <> typed
    >furiously:
    >
    >>In article <>, jmatt <-dot-
    >>au.no-spam.invalid> writes
    >>>
    >>>Thoss & others may like to know about this .
    >>>
    >>>EXTREME
    >>>http://go.to/filextreme
    >>>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/news.html
    >>>The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
    >>>written.

    >>Agreed. I still use it.
    >>
    >>> EXTREME is a
    >>>native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
    >>>elegance of XTREE with new
    >>>features such as long file names and protected memory support.
    >>>

    >>Thanks. I'll check it out. How does it compare with ZTree, though?

    >I found XTREE to be clumsy in comparison with Stereo Shell. I'm only
    >sorry that Stereo Shell doesn't work with Long Filenames. I still use
    >it as my primary viewer for text files and quick movement of files in
    >a DOS environment.

    Thanks for the suggestion; I haven't come across this before.
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, May 23, 2005
  11. wylbur37

    David Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:08:47 +0100, thoss <> typed
    furiously:

    >In article <>, David
    ><> writes
    >>On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:50:18 +0100, thoss <> typed
    >>furiously:
    >>
    >>>In article <>, jmatt <-dot-
    >>>au.no-spam.invalid> writes

    >>>Agreed. I still use it.

    >>>Thanks. I'll check it out. How does it compare with ZTree, though?

    >>I found XTREE to be clumsy in comparison with Stereo Shell. I'm only
    >>sorry that Stereo Shell doesn't work with Long Filenames. I still use
    >>it as my primary viewer for text files and quick movement of files in
    >>a DOS environment.
    >>

    >Thanks for the suggestion; I haven't come across this before.

    It's OT because it is shareware, at least it used to be. I haven't
    looked at it for several years.

    David, May 23, 2005
  12. wylbur37

    Ralph Guest

    Have you tried Windows Grep? It is shareware.

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply

    Ralph, May 26, 2005
  13. wylbur37

    Guest

    be nice if some kind of shell could fit on the win9x startup floppy diskette :)

    , May 28, 2005
  14. wylbur37

    thoss Guest

    In article <Xns9664161F7B220MsOsWinAnon@64.85.239.19>,
    <> writes
    >be nice if some kind of shell could fit on the win9x startup floppy diskette :)

    There are early versions of XTree small enough, such as XTPro (169 Kb,
    or 147 Kb without the config file) or the freeware XTree 2 at only 43
    Kb.
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, May 28, 2005