Name Bench

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://linusearch.com/wordpress/?p=616

"Speed your internet up with NameBench

NameBench is a program that searches for the fastest DNS in your area. After the program is finished searching and comparing between DNS it will give you the results including the fastest and nearest DNS in your area. After that all you have to do is edit your connection settings to use the fastest DNS available. NameBench is available for Windows and Mac systems, but most importantly it is Linux compatible.

First you will need to download the program. Here is a link to download the tgz for Linux and also there are some download files for those other Operating Systems.

The program is quite easy to install."

Tried this out on me Mandy set up and it gave the following results. First set are without the "censorship check". Second set are with the "censorship check". Haven't got a clue what the "censorship check" is ;)but it sounds funky. Haven't tried it with Windows yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

:D

Attachments

• dns1.png
    dns1.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,386
  • dns.png
    dns.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,373

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting. The Google DNS service is pretty good (and easy to remember IPs), although they will no doubt offer this free to gain lots of useful information.

Do you notice much of a speed increase over your default ISP DNS?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Very interesting. The Google DNS service is pretty good (and easy to remember IPs), although they will no doubt offer this free to gain lots of useful information.

Do you notice much of a speed increase over your default ISP DNS?

Been getting a lot of pages that never loaded lately and a lot of pages that threw me back to the router/modem home page (don't know how to describe that any better) lately. After making changes after running Name Bench I am getting just the very odd page fault. Overall surfing seems faster but I am in the middle of giving up the evil nicotine so I can't say for sure, seems faster to me though.

nod.gif

Ask a Question