mystery trouble with Trendnet KVM TK-400

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Richard Setters, Aug 30, 2011.

  1. I have been using a Trendnet KVM Tk-400 for several years with three
    homebuilt PC's. It seems to work ok except if I either have to disconnect
    one PC or more and/or the power goes out for a period of time. Then, it
    seems to take a lot of effort to try and get the PC's to recognize any of
    the input devices (keyboard, mouse, monitor). I follow Trendnet's
    instructions to the letter and it's only after luck that I will finally be
    able to get one PC to recognize the devices and eventually all three.
    Sometimes I will get 5 beeps at start up on two of the PC's, but only after
    the power outage and/or disconnection.

    I've been thinking of replacing the Trendnet KVM for quite some time, but I
    want to be sure I'm not overlooking something first, which is why I came
    here.

    Are these symptoms something anyone else has experienced and what steps can
    be taken to cure the problem? Any other suggestions? How about wireless
    KVM's- are they availabe and at what cost or is there an alternative that
    would work just as well?

    Thanks,
    Rich S

    Richard Setters, Aug 30, 2011

  2. Richard Setters

    Paul Guest

    Richard Setters wrote:
    > I have been using a Trendnet KVM Tk-400 for several years with three
    > homebuilt PC's. It seems to work ok except if I either have to
    > disconnect one PC or more and/or the power goes out for a period of
    > time. Then, it seems to take a lot of effort to try and get the PC's
    > to recognize any of the input devices (keyboard, mouse, monitor). I
    > follow Trendnet's instructions to the letter and it's only after luck
    > that I will finally be able to get one PC to recognize the devices and
    > eventually all three. Sometimes I will get 5 beeps at start up on two of
    > the PC's, but only after the power outage and/or disconnection.
    >
    > I've been thinking of replacing the Trendnet KVM for quite some time,
    > but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking something first, which is why
    > I came here.
    >
    > Are these symptoms something anyone else has experienced and what steps
    > can be taken to cure the problem? Any other suggestions? How about
    > wireless KVM's- are they availabe and at what cost or is there an
    > alternative that would work just as well?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rich S

    Does it work any better, if the PCs are plugged into the same
    power strip ?

    My reason for suggesting that, is in case the problem is related to
    equipment grounding.

    That's just a theory. I don't know if that is a common problem with KVMs.

    Your KVM has its own power adapter, and that doesn't have a safety
    ground reference. So this rules out power related failure modes.
    (Some KVMs would steal power from the +5V pin on each keyboard connector.)
    Having a wall adapter, helps rule out a problem with phantom power.

    http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Power-Adapter-TK-400-401R/dp/B0011UR7DQ

    It could be the KVM itself which is defective, but the thing is, it
    eventually works.

    *******

    It's pretty hard to move a monitor video signal over wireless. It requires
    a great deal of bandwidth. I think it's been done with UWB (ultra-wide-band)
    but that only works well at short distance. And I'm not even sure that
    UWB has left the lab.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-wideband

    "High data rate UWB can enable wireless monitors..."

    "...FCC authorizes the unlicensed use of UWB in the range of 3.1 to 10.6 GHz"

    There is an announcement here, of a product in 2011. Now the question
    would be, how many devices using that technology, could be run in
    the same room.

    http://en.akihabaranews.com/94622/d...wb-wireless-full-hd-monitor-c23a750x-in-korea

    http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/produc...-central-station-syncmaster-c23a750x/34662676

    "We experienced a few frustrating bugs on one test system, and didn't
    find quite the same visual quality over wireless that we did with HDMI."

    Based on that licensed range of frequencies, perhaps a UWB wouldn't interfere with
    Wifi at 2.4GHz, but might do so with the Wifi at 5GHz. Switch on the UWB LCD monitor,
    and watch the Wifi data rate on 5GHz, drop (because the UWB would look like background
    noise to the Wifi signals, and degrade SNR). At least they didn't license
    all the way down to baseband.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 30, 2011