Mystery _Backup.mdb files

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access' started by Guest, Jan 31, 2007.

    Hi

    I'm running Access 2000 on a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP clients attached
    to a 2000 server. I have a number of Access databases saved in a Company
    share on the server, along with a variety of other files. The entire contents
    of the share is backed up nightly to tape, using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.

    In recent months I've noticed that mystery "backup" files seem to appearing
    in the share, which I haven't consciously done anything to set up. So for
    example if I have a file MyDatabase.mdb, then a new file
    MyDatabase_Backup.mdb might appear in the same folder on the share. These
    only seem to appear intermittently, and if I delete one it might not reappear
    for some time.

    Does anyone have any idea where these might be coming from? Is there some
    kind of autobackup function in Access which I'm not aware of?

    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Ian

    Guest, Jan 31, 2007

    Go to Tools, Options, General Tab. Is Compact on Close enabled? If so that
    might be causing them if someone pulled the plug on their computer before it
    was completely don; however, they usually have a different name. I recommend
    turning it off.

    Someone also could be going up to Tools, Database Utilities, Back Up
    Database. However this usually puts a date stamp as part of the file name.
    --
    Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

    Guest, Jan 31, 2007

    Hi Jerry

    Thanks for the suggestions. I've had a look at the Compact On Close option
    and it isn't enabled on the databases. The Back Up Database option doesn't
    seem to be present at all - maybe that only applies to later versions of
    Access?

    Any other ideas?
    Ian

    Guest, Jan 31, 2007

    Dirk Goldgar Guest

    "Ian C" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm running Access 2000 on a mixture of Windows 2000 and XP clients
    > attached to a 2000 server. I have a number of Access databases saved
    > in a Company share on the server, along with a variety of other
    > files. The entire contents of the share is backed up nightly to tape,
    > using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.
    >
    > In recent months I've noticed that mystery "backup" files seem to
    > appearing in the share, which I haven't consciously done anything to
    > set up. So for example if I have a file MyDatabase.mdb, then a new
    > file MyDatabase_Backup.mdb might appear in the same folder on the
    > share. These only seem to appear intermittently, and if I delete one
    > it might not reappear for some time.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea where these might be coming from? Is there
    > some kind of autobackup function in Access which I'm not aware of?

    IIRC, you get those when Access "encounters an error and needs to
    close". Then by default (unless you change the option settings on the
    dialog), it attempts to repair the open database. That process includes
    making a backup copy that is named with the "_Backup" suffix.

    --
    Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    www.datagnostics.com

    (please reply to the newsgroup)

    Dirk Goldgar, Jan 31, 2007

    Thanks Dirk.

    That makes sense I guess. I'm surprised because I haven't had any problems
    reported by users, or encountered any corruption myself, so it must be minor
    problems that are causing the files to be created. I'll keep an eye on it.

    Guest, Jan 31, 2007

    Access MDB isn't reliable enough for real world use.

    i'll bet that someone's Access crashed and now they're entering data
    in the wrong backend or something ridiculous

    ADP doesn't give you this much hassle

    -Aaron

    , Jan 31, 2007

    John Vinson Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:59:01 -0800, Ian C
    <> wrote:

    >I'm surprised because I haven't had any problems
    >reported by users

    <shudder>

    "Oh, it always does that. I just click OK. Was I supposed to tell
    you?" - Joe User, far more times that I want to think about it

    John W. Vinson[MVP]

    John Vinson, Jan 31, 2007