Mysterious folders

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET Framework' started by Pete, Mar 10, 2009.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    A folder with a name like '1d9f819a11e4cc9db86df146360f' has appeared on my
    system drive. It contains two folders: amd64 and i386, each of which
    contains 7 files:

    msxpsdrv.inf
    msxpsinc.ppd
    msxpsinc.gpd
    filterpipelineprintproc.dll
    mxdwdrv.dll
    xpssvcs.dll
    msxpsdrv.cat

    I don't know whether they came with WindowsXP SP3 or with NET.Framework 1.1
    Hotfix or SP 3.5.

    What are they? Can I delete them? Any ideas what they might be?

    Thanks.

    Peter

    Pete, Mar 10, 2009

  2. Pete

    Pavel Minaev Guest

    On Mar 9, 5:57 pm, Pete <> wrote:
    > A folder with a name like '1d9f819a11e4cc9db86df146360f' has appeared on my
    > system drive.

    Such names are usually Windows Installer temporary folders. They
    should be deleted when the installation is successful, but if you
    forcefully abort it (e.g. hard reset in the middle), they stay.

    > It contains two folders: amd64 and i386, each of which
    > contains 7 files:
    >
    > msxpsdrv.inf
    > msxpsinc.ppd
    > msxpsinc.gpd
    > filterpipelineprintproc.dll
    > mxdwdrv.dll
    > xpssvcs.dll
    > msxpsdrv.cat

    Looks like some driver. Judging by mentions of "XPS" and "printer", I
    suspect this is the "XPS Document Writer".

    > I don't know whether they came with WindowsXP SP3 or with NET.Framework 1..1
    > Hotfix or SP 3.5.

    If I'm right in my suspicion, then they may have come with .NET 3.0+.

    > What are they? Can I delete them? Any ideas what they might be?

    You can definitely delete this folder in any case, since it was
    supposed to be deleted anyway. Having it around won't do anything
    useful.

    Pavel Minaev, Mar 10, 2009

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Pavel Minaev <> wrote in

    > On Mar 9, 5:57 pm, Pete <> wrote:
    >> A folder with a name like '1d9f819a11e4cc9db86df146360f' has appeared
    >> on

    > my
    >> system drive.

    > Such names are usually Windows Installer temporary folders. They
    > should be deleted when the installation is successful, but if you
    > forcefully abort it (e.g. hard reset in the middle), they stay.

    I don't remember aborting but I did do a System Restore at about that
    time, to try and correct a problem that appeared around then. (This
    problem was that I suddenly found my computer was asking me for a name
    and password whenever I rebooted, and also when resuming after a suspend.
    I found out how to put these right.)

    >> It contains two folders: amd64 and i386, each of which
    >> contains 7 files:
    >>
    >> msxpsdrv.inf
    >> msxpsinc.ppd
    >> msxpsinc.gpd
    >> filterpipelineprintproc.dll
    >> mxdwdrv.dll
    >> xpssvcs.dll
    >> msxpsdrv.cat

    > Looks like some driver. Judging by mentions of "XPS" and "printer", I
    > suspect this is the "XPS Document Writer".

    OK. I don't know what that is, but I guess Microsoft needed these files
    when it installed the XPS thing, but that now it's installed they're not
    needed. Is that right?

    >> I don't know whether they came with WindowsXP SP3 or with
    >> NET.Framework 1

    > .1
    >> Hotfix or SP 3.5.

    > If I'm right in my suspicion, then they may have come with .NET 3.0+.

    Ah. Possibly. I'm not sure how quite how long ago the folder arrived but
    it may well have coincided with .NET 3.0+.

    >> What are they? Can I delete them? Any ideas what they might be?

    > You can definitely delete this folder in any case, since it was
    > supposed to be deleted anyway. Having it around won't do anything
    > useful.

    Great. Thank you, Pavel. That's extremely helpful and I'm grateful to you
    for replying so speedily.

    Peter

    Pete, Mar 11, 2009
  4. Pete

    JS Guest

    It's folder that was not deleted after installing .Net 3.5 SP1
    See: NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - Temporary Folder is not deleted
    http://www.pagestart.com/netframework35sp1error.html

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Mar 11, 2009
  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "JS" <@> wrote in news::

    > It's folder that was not deleted after installing .Net 3.5 SP1
    > See: NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - Temporary Folder is not deleted
    > http://www.pagestart.com/netframework35sp1error.html

    A useful page. Thank you for your help, JS.

    Peter

    Pete, Mar 13, 2009
  6. Pete

    JS Guest

    You're welcome.

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Mar 13, 2009
  7. Pete

    rick_91709

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have the same folders. However, they are placed on my external hard drive. When I try to delete them, or any file in the folders, I get an "access denied" message. I also have a folder named System Volume Information that appeared on my external drive which I cannot delete. Any help would be appreciated.

    rick_91709, Aug 23, 2009
  8. Pete

    rick_91709

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Any help???

    rick_91709, Aug 26, 2009
  9. Pete

    Oderian

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    File on external hard drive

    I had the same file on my external hard drive. It wouldn't delete, so I just used "Unlocker," and found that it had a handle connected to Word. I unlocked it and it deleted fine. No sweat. If you don't have Unlocker, you need it.

    Oderian, Sep 4, 2009
  10. Pete

    anges35

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    System Restore

    I understand this is an old thread- but in case anyone else comes upon it:

    System Volume is a protected operating system folder. It contains the System Restore points. You cannot delete this folder- you shouldn't even try. You can remove old restore points however. If you have a malware infection, the malware can get into the restore points. If your system has been cleaned of malware and malware has gotten in to the restore points, you can reinfect the system if the date chosen has the malware.

    This is why the old restore points are dropped at the end of cleaning and a new, clean restore point is set.

    If you are not familiar with the System Restore feature and it's value, suggest you look it up HERE.

    This may very well save your bacon one day!

    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
    anges35, Feb 17, 2010