    an editable, usable file?

    Thanks,
    Paul

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007

  2. Had the document ever been copied to a CD and then back to the HD?

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    "Paul S. Maxey" <> wrote in message
    > Somehow my Word document reverted to a Read-Only file. I went to save it,

    and

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Apr 13, 2007

    Close the file and open the folder that the file is stored in. Right click
    on the file icon and choose properties. Remove the check, if present, from
    the read only check box. Several things in Word can cause a file to open as
    Read Only.
    Copying to and from a read-only storage device such as a cd-r or dvd-r.
    Opening a second instance of a document will sometimes open as read only to
    avoid conflicting changes.
    Also, you might want to check and see if it is an actual current Word
    document or an older file that should probably be converted. If you have
    recently upgraded word, it could be that file is a no longer supported file
    type that Word will allow you to open, but no longer edit without saving to a
    new file type.
    If none of the above helps... let us know... good luck!

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007

    No, I was working with it and another word document. I closed one out, and
    later when I went to save the first one, it had reverted to a "Read Only"
    file. I had to rename it, in order for it to be saved.

    Somehow, MSWORD was seeing a conflict with it and another document, and
    wanted to protect one of them, so made it a read only file - I think. This
    happened again today - under the same or similar circumstances.

    Thanks, Paul

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007

    Thanks for you help. I had to rename the file to save it. Then this morning,
    I was wroking on it, and the same thing happened. I had my word document open
    and editing it, then opened another word document from the same folder to
    reference something. When I went back to the original file, made changes and
    then tried to save it, it had changed to a "Read Only" file. I think you are
    correct, in that MSWORD saw a conflict with the two open documents, and
    wanted to protect the one opened first. I have just never seen this before,
    and am not sure this is supposed to be happening.

    I had checked the properties for the Read Only check box prior - that was
    not the case until the document reverted, and then it would not let me change
    it.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Paul

    Guest, Apr 13, 2007