My Website

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well I finally got the domain name registered at a different site to my host, Allwayshosting, and I have uploaded a page.

However, this is what I get ... www.muckshifter.net ... Hmmm not quite what I expected?

Here is what it should look like ... www.dearnley-davison.co.uk

I'll admit now I'm lost? Any suggestions Ian ... I have ask "Ronnie" and as yet waiting a reply.

:spin:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like you havnt uploaded any files? Did you want muchshifter.net to redirect to dearnley-davison.co.uk - or did you want it to just look the same?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Muckshifter.net is suposed to look like the D-D site and as far as I know cuteFTP uploaded the pages?

This has taken 2 weeks to get this far, so I know now why PCReview took so long to get back up 'n running. :D

:confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I suspect that you didnt overwrite the test file they upload, called index.htm / index.html , try overwriting this with your own, and deleting any files that are not part of your site that are uploaded

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, just figured it out, seconds later ;)

Delete the index.html that is uploaded, because it is the test page

If you go to http://www.muckshifter.net/index.htm it works you see, and index.html has priority over index.htm

muckshifter

Reaction score
IAN

... you win the coconut. :D

Sorted. :bow:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Now to figure out how to "host" all my other sites. :D

Reaction score
Nice layout. I especially like the buttons on the left hand side for accessing different site sections. They should come in very handy.
-Calsceron

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hello Dave,

Yep, one of my first, not really a 'business' more of a "let's see what happens with this" Dreamweaver programme ... I have a lot of time and like to keep busy ... the other site links from DIP are all my own, again, I needed something to do. However I did get 'paid' for some of them. :D

You’re not a Taxman are you? LoL

ps, I can highly recomend www.alwayswebhosting.com as a Host. ;)

Reaction score
Ever thought about hosting yourself?

Its not actually as hard as it seems, especially for only a few websites.

All you need is a PC that has a bit of speed behind it and is reliable, and an always on internet connection (or you could just have your site online at set times).

As you may well know its too much work to find out your IP address, and reset your domain name to that every time you log onto the net. even if you have an always on account, your computer can require some down-time. DNS2go give you an address to send your domain name to. They also give you a program to install on your host machine, so that when you log on, it sends dns2go your IP address and they automatically link to your machine! Fantastic, that's the big job out of the way.
dns2go.com

Your computer could do with being as fast as possible, and running a server program of your own possibly, just to give you that bit more control. You might wat to consider getting some DDR ram, and if your hosting a lot of sites, try a SCSI hard drive.

You would have much more control over your site with the host actually sitting next to you, and I think the best bit of all, is that you dont have to worry about "will the server run this program" or anything like that.

Downpoints are that if the site is hacked, its your fault totally. YOU are responsible for the content and security of your site. (Unless you put the server in the middle of a field somewhere!)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thanks Hack

I had thought of doing it myself ... once. :D

I'm afraid it went a little over my head. I only wanted somewhere to "park" my stuff and keep my hand in, so to speak, and as I'm a Scotsman I chose the easiest root.

Hell for just over a tenner a month I'm well pleased ... and ... I can "sub-let" host space. :D

;)

Reaction score
I dont see why not! Unless its in the contract that you cant...

I cant wait til I get some money coming in, then I can start building something decent and forget about some of these deadlines I have biting at my knees.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, I'm with the same hosting company as mucks, and I really really like it... I was going to host PCReview after a bad experience with the last 2 hosts) - but it would be very, very expensive and I couldnt handle too many users, even with 512Kbps bandwidth!

This shared server package is ideal, and I must admit I prefer it to hosting my own site (I still have an Apache box running to test things on though, I dont like messing with the site live, usually anyway ;))

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
About £25!

Cheapo P200MMX from e-bay, and then a keyboard and mouse for a fiver!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, just a PC running apache, but no monitor - as I'm just using it as a cheap server

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
I respect anyone who can hammer a web site together, particularly a visually pleasing and easy to navigate one! I started making a homepage in geocities, but gave up..... I am getting good at flask though, so may have another stab at it sooner or later ;)

A good friend of mine has just started a web hosting business that gives a lot of programming support such as database access, mysql, php.... lots of others in his packages. I don't remember the name offhand very well... I think it was Aconix but will have to check.

Ask a Question