    Allen Guest

    One of my computers has a special icon for "My Videos" folder, but the other computer has just the ordinary folder icon. How can I change the icon to be the special "My Videos" folder icon?

    TIA

    Allen, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Allen

    neil Guest

    If you download and install TweakUI you can rebuild icons, that might fix it
    for you.
    Neil

    neil, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Allen

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    This problem can occur if the hidden desktop.ini file in the special
    folder is corrupt or missing. Here are the steps to fix this problem:
    Illustrated, detailed instructions here:
    http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html

    Scroll down a little and click on Special Folders.

    My Videos desktop.ini should look like this.

    [.ShellClassInfo]
    InfoTip=@Shell32.dll,-12690
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
    IconIndex=-238
    [DeleteOnCopy]
    Owner=Douglas Thrift
    Personalized=14
    PersonalizedName=My Videos

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    Allen <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Allen

    Allen Guest

    Nope, didn't help. The desktop.ini file was missing so I added it, but "My
    Videos" still has the standard folder icon.

    Any more ideas?

    Allen, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Allen

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Hi Allen,

    OK. I didn't have a My Videos folder, so I created one. I added the
    desktop.ini file, followed all advice at Douglas Thrift's site. None of
    that worked.

    I have TweakUI, which Neil mentioned in a post in this thread. Using
    TweakUI was the only way I could restore the My Videos icon.

    Here's what I did.

    1. Open TweakUI.
    2. Click on Repair, bottom item on the left.
    3. On the right hand side, click on the V to expand the menu.
    4. Click on Repair My Videos icon.
    5. Click the Repair Now button.

    Repair My Videos icon
    [[Restores the custom icon to the My Videos folder.]]

    You can download TweakUI here...

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
    exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
    mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

    Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or above or Windows
    Server 2003.

    Scroll down the right hand side and look for...
    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe

    TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe is what you get.

    If you have Windows XP without any Service Packs, download Version 2.00.
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    -----

    TweakUI has a lot of other uses.

    Some good info here...