My Skylake build

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A PCI card would not fit in any of the slots on my new MSI M5 motherboard. I know this, cos I tried.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How are you finding your new build flops ???????:cool:

I'm enjoying it a great deal but as mentioned earlier the improvement over the old i7 setup seems minimal. Still, I am future-proof to a degree,

I have one quirk though, I seem to be losing cookies, on most sites - including this one - I have to enter my name and password on most visits. This normally only happens after using software such as Privateer or CCleaner but that is not the case now.

I have MSE installed for AV and also Malwarebytes but I can't see that any of those are clearing my cache, it's a bit of a mystery.

I was paid for some work so bought me's a new graphics card, an Asus GTX970, this one here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18723772

I went for the STRIX model at £300 and it arrived today, Easter Monday. It's very good and I can't hear it at all. OCUK sent me the code for Tom Clancy's The Division game on Saturday and I've installed it. The graphics on it look gorgeous but it's not a game I would have bought, I'm not mad keen on multiplayer only. In fact I'm not entirely sure what to do within the game, I'm finding it a little confusing.

I think I'm meant to team up with other players, and reckon I'll have to consult a tutorial. It looks so good it would be a crime not to give it a fair crack of the whip.

I also received the Kingston 240Gb SSD but I really don't have a need for one. I could RAID 0 it with my current 240Gb SSD but probably not worth the ag of a fresh Windows install. And my bedroom computer uses swappable 3.5" SATA disks. So I'll probably just flog it.

But - I did not receive a game code or link for Far Cry Primal - which was the main reason I went for this offer. This was meant to come direct from Asus but all they supplied was a link to receive a free battleship for a game named 'World Of Warships' - not even the free game. And that's a game I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

So it would appear OCUK have made me a false promise. I will phone them tomorrow and ask what's occurring and I've also finally joined the OCUK forum to voice my disappointment although I'm currently waiting for admin approval on the forum before I can post.

My old GTX760 is now in my old i7 setup and this leaves an MSI Twin Frozr GTX660, boxed and with all accessories, surplus to requirements. So I'll probably sell it but will wait 2 or 3 weeks just to make sure my new graphics card doesn't fail in it's early days.

Just before Christmas my daughter left home here so I gave her my 37" LG TV cos I don't watch it. But I still like to watch the occasional fillum so I replaced it with a Philips 40" Monitor, the reasoning being now I won't have to buy a TV licence. I've informed those lovely licensing people I won't be buying a license so I'm fully expecting a visit from Das TV Stormtroopers. Should be fun :)

It occurred to me that I could use the 40" monitor as a monitor so that's what I done. Only prob is after a few months I actually think it's too big. It can be a little difficult to follow all gaming action on such a big screen and prolonged gaming sometimes induces a little giddiness. So I'm considering putting the 40" Monitor back on the old TV stand for watching films and going back to a 27" or 28" Monitor.

I think that will be the end of my upgrading computer stuff for now, my next step will be to change to Windows 10 before the free offer expires in July and for that I will start a separate thread where I have several questions.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
But - I did not receive a game code or link for Far Cry Primal - which was the main reason I went for this offer. This was meant to come direct from Asus but all they supplied was a link to receive a free battleship for a game named 'World Of Warships' - not even the free game. And that's a game I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

I had the same thing with my last graphics card purchase (although got the game soon enough). It looks like you need to claim it online using this page, but they're "out of codes" (whatever that means!) until 31st March:

http://www.asus.com/event/VGA/far-cry-primal/

May be worth keeping an eye on that page for the next couple of days :).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I play WoWS ... I sank the Tirpitz in my Japanese Destroyer, battleship 'drivers' love sailing in straight lines ... :lol:

The TV SS will be at your door, soon™

Reaction score
I've informed those lovely licensing people I won't be buying a license so I'm fully expecting a visit from Das TV Stormtroopers. Should be fun :)
A bit of a grey area at the moment.
If you watch catch up tv on iplayer or have a tv card in pc you might have to get one in the future.
However if you go down & get hollowway I will come and vist you with a file in the cake!!:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bit of an update...

I don't have a TV tuner card in any of my PC's and I very rarely watch catch-up TV. The lovely licence people have not paid me a visit - yet. Being a cantankerous old git I'm rather looking forward to that visit :D

Having said that I did watch catch-up TV about a week ago for the first time in yonks - I watched that Viking thingie about how our northern friends terrorised, er, sorry, 'discovered' America before Mr Christopher Columbus did. That was good.

I did get the code for the Far Cry Primal Cry game eventually though it was a lot of kerfuffing about and they didn't make the process very intuitive. The game is now installed and my opinion - so far - is it's a lot of fuss over nothing. All I've done so far is kill a mammoth, watch me mates get munched by a sabre tooth tiger and tried to shoot goats with a bow and arrow. Rivetting huh? But - I will give it time.

Am I going off gaming or summat? That's The Division; Far Cry Primal; Fallout 4 I'm not impressed with and even Mad Max wasn't that clever.

I think I've sussed why all the Nvidia card sellers are giving games away as special offers and in my case an SSD HDD worth £66. It's because come July Nvidia will probably launch their 'Pascal' range of video cards, the 1000 series. Hence the haste with which to get rid of the 900 series cards.

There's usually a reason is there not?

Still, I'm very pleased with my 970, I reckon it'll do me for at least two years.

EDIT: I now have the Kingston Max Fury SSD HDD installed with Win 10 on it - 240Gb of fastness. This means I have a 250Gb Crucial SSD HDD spare. Hmm.

muckshifter

Reaction score

P100? err, don't hold your breath on 'seeing' that in any PC, nevermind 'gaming rig' this side of 2017

don't know what site, (your choice site input here?), you got the 'hearing' from, but Guru's 'wording' is, at best, misleading to the general PC user ... Pascal may be 'out' or 'seen' but it's on Samples.

hey, I may be wrong ... but the new memory (GDDR5X) to run them is, in itself, only in sample mode, they are only going to go into production in a few months time yet. :)

oh, and I've 'heard' one 'box' quoted price @ $129,000 ... pre-order?

that's my understanding of the current Pascal V Polaris debate. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
jolly good ... however;

This accelerator is aimed at data centres and a lot of talk focussed on how it could improve medical research, climate modelling and artificial intelligence. We heard that the GP100 was in mass production and would start shipping in June.
(my bold)

... I've read the same, hence the price tag.

I'm betting, you won't 'see' any 'gaming' rendition this year. Never know, they may have something to show you, but it won't be a Pascal GPU for a PC in my mind. :)

A good discussion Flopps :user:

Ask a Question