    Any help very much appreciated!
    --
    expat

    Guest, Aug 15, 2006

    Alec S. Guest

    "expat" <> wrote in message news:...
    > All my icons are now large on the desktop, and the font has gotten bigger
    > which makes it difficult to read IE, Outlook, and other apps. Seems to go
    > back to my loading a promo multimedia CD-Rom for the Perfect Storm. I didn't
    > play it, but everything changed after that initial load.
    > I've tried Control Panel > Display > Appearance - font size is Normal
    > Control Panel > Setting > Advanced > Shows Normal sz 96 DPI
    > I have MS Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002 w/ SP2

    Hmmm, you've already tried the first and second suggestions. Did you try setting the theme to a normal one? There are font size
    controls in the Appearance->Advanced (part of themes). Try setting it to Luna or Windows classic. Check the Themes tab in Display
    Properties. Does it show "(Modified)" beside the theme name? Try setting it back to that theme.

    It seems odd that the promo would cause it because apps should change things like that without asking permission. On the other
    hand, doing things like this ("hijacking") is far too common these days. :(

    --
    Alec S.
    news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

    Alec S., Aug 17, 2006

    Dear Alec,
    Nope - didn't work I'm afraid. A real brain frazzler, this one. Restarted
    several times to see if anything would take hold, after the following:
    Yes - the theme showed modified, so I switched from Windows XP to Windows
    Classic.
    I changed Appearance from Windows XP style to Windows Classic. Under this
    setting, in Advanced, if I choose ICON, settings are: Size 32, font Tahoma 8.
    Can you tell me if that's 'standard' for this style? I'd rather not start
    setting things out of default mode if possible.
    I also reviewed the Accessibility control panel. Nothing is checked to make
    anything larger that I could see.
    Maddening! Maybe it wasn't the Perfect Storm after all... any other ideas
    gratefully received!

    --
    expat

    Guest, Aug 19, 2006

    Alec S. Guest

    "expat" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Dear Alec,
    > Nope - didn't work I'm afraid. A real brain frazzler, this one. Restarted
    > several times to see if anything would take hold, after the following:
    > Yes - the theme showed modified, so I switched from Windows XP to Windows
    > Classic.
    > I changed Appearance from Windows XP style to Windows Classic. Under this
    > setting, in Advanced, if I choose ICON, settings are: Size 32, font Tahoma 8.
    > Can you tell me if that's 'standard' for this style? I'd rather not start
    > setting things out of default mode if possible.
    > I also reviewed the Accessibility control panel. Nothing is checked to make
    > anything larger that I could see.
    > Maddening! Maybe it wasn't the Perfect Storm after all... any other ideas
    > gratefully received!

    It is odd. Actually I just tried changing the DPI on my system and it said that I don't have permission to do that even though I'm
    the admin. ?! This is strange; the only thing I can think of is that some Windows Update has changed something somewhere. Did you
    make any changes after using that CD? Did you install any Windows Updates? Do you have autoupdate enabled?

    What exactly happens when you change those settings you already tried? Do they give an error or do they apply but not change
    anything? Did you try rebooting after making the change?

    Take a screenshot to show what it looks like.

    --
    Alec S.
    news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

    Alec S., Aug 19, 2006