    Any ideas how to trap what the error is?

    Cheers

    Neil

    Neil, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Neil

    fred Guest

    Go to the system icon in the control panel - and select the system ICON;
    click on Advanced ; click on Settings under Startup and Recovery; uncheck
    the Automatic restart box close all and reboot. When the next mystery reboot
    happens, you will probaly see the BSOD Blue Screen of Death. Make a note of
    the codes and any messages and reply to the group and we will see how we can
    help you.

    "Neil" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My PC is caught in a reboot loop!
    >
    > When i boot up it gets to the Windows XP logo as normal, looks like it is
    > loadind with the bars moving accross, then the screen goes black and the

    PC
    > reboots.
    >
    > It does the same when i boot into safe mode. I've also tried restarting

    from

    fred, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Hi,

    You can disable automatic reboot after errors by going to system properties
    (press windows key + pause/break) , clicking the advanced tab, clicking
    "settings" next to "startup/recovery" then unchecking "automatically
    reboot".

    Justin

    Justin Harrison, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Neil

    Neil Guest

    The thing is i can't get into the computer because it reboots during the
    bootup.

    If i could get to the control panel i wouldn't have the problem!

    Neil

    Neil, Jun 17, 2005
  5. Neil

    Guest Guest

    i recently had the same exact problem i retrieved my info by makin it a slave
    drive then i fomatted it

    Guest, Jun 17, 2005
  6. Neil

    fred Guest

    This gets a little tricky, you will have to boot in Safe Mode by pressing
    F8.
    I think you can get to the control panel from there.

    Remove any recent hardware driver installs, video, audio,
    or Software. One by one of course, doing a reboot in between.

    Have a look in Task Manager for any unusual software running such iosdt.exe
    (Trojan)

    BTW there is an email doing the rounds which says How do you do in the
    subject line and various comments in the body i.e.. Hello Handsome etc. this
    email contains a Trojan hidden in the email.

    Also run msconfig and have a look in the start-up items for any suspicious
    software.

    Good luck

    fred, Jun 18, 2005
  7. On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:28:58 +0100, "Neil" <>

    >The thing is i can't get into the computer because it reboots during the
    >bootup.

    Yep - that's the Incredibly Stupid Thing (TM) about "Restart on system
    errors". I know the idea is that servers that need continuous uptime
    can get this without the sysadmin having to change anything, but even
    that's utterly pointless if the OS never boots far enough to network
    and thus facilitate remote administration of the unattended system.

    Actually, no; this is no joking matter. I'd do...

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm

    ....if not the full rigor of...

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/pccrisis.htm

    ...i.e.:

    1) Check hardware
    - eyeball all fans, heat sinks, motherboard caps
    - check RAM: MemTest86 and/or SIMMtester (Google and download)
    - check physical HD and file system logic
    - unplug periperals; WiFi, LAN, bband, printer, etc.

    2) Exclude traditional malware
    - formally if possible; Barts PE + Trend SysClean + Stinger
    - if FATxx, can also use most DOS-based av from DOS mode diskette
    - then repeat Windows-based scans in Safe Mode Cmd Only

    3) Exclude commercial malware
    - Safe Mode Cmd Only, use AdAware SE 1.05, Spybot 1.4, MSAS Beta
    - reversable manual suppression via MSConfig, Shell Ext Viewer
    - less reversable manual suppression via HiJackThis (careful)

    If this is the system that went nuts after swallowing a VGA driver
    update from MS, then try F8 at boot, choose VGA bootup, and roll back
    the driver from Device Manager, or do an SR rollback.

    If you cannot get into Windows at all, after finishing (1), then you
    can approach the system from Recovery Console or Bart's PE; the latter
    will let you do more, such as bind registry hives and fix things
    manually. It won't be easy-peasy; keep your wits about you, or hire
    yourself a pair of proxy frontal lobes (choose a tech who can read
    this and who looks thoughtful, rather than cavalier or panic-stricken)

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user), Jun 19, 2005