    Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep on
    coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have got rid
    of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

    Guest, Jan 29, 2005

    WTC Guest

    "thebruceys18" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get rid
    > of
    > it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the shortcut is
    > missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto internet options. It
    > just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do to get rid of it. I have
    > also barred all the related website addresses that have shown up on this
    > site
    > on my privacy thing, but it still comes up all the time. I have even
    > emailed
    > the website and asked them to take it off my computer but all to no avail.
    > Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep on
    > coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have got
    > rid
    > of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

    Run these 3 programs, all free
    Lavasoft Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

    Spybot - Search and Destroy

    HijackThis

    William

    WTC, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jan 29, 2005

    Adrian Guest

    Or as surprising as it may sound!! Microsoft's beta spyware product is
    currently free and works great!

    Adrian, Jan 29, 2005

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Steer clear of Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (BETA) until it's ready for
    public release. It has too many problems yet!!!!

    Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. If you do not have
    SP2, get it

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

     Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

     Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK

     Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
    whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
    =====

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    =====

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
    anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

    1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

    1a) CWShredder ver. 2.0 direct download:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (More for the advanced user)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware SE Personal

    =====

    HijackThis log tutorial
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

    HijackThis Log Tutorial
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

    How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
    http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

    HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
    =====

    MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    =====

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    thebruceys18 <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Jan 29, 2005

    WTC Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    > Or as surprising as it may sound!! Microsoft's beta spyware product is
    > currently free and works great!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
    >

    > "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "thebruceys18" <> wrote in message
    >>> my hompage keeps changing to an american search engine and i cant get
    >>> rid of
    >>> it. I can uninstall it from add/remove programs as it says the shortcut
    >>> is
    >>> missing. when I try and put my own homepage back onto internet options.
    >>> It
    >>> just changes it back again. HELP...What can I do to get rid of it. I
    >>> have
    >>> also barred all the related website addresses that have shown up on this
    >>> site
    >>> on my privacy thing, but it still comes up all the time. I have even
    >>> emailed
    >>> the website and asked them to take it off my computer but all to no
    >>> avail.
    >>> Please can someone help me get rid of this as pornographic popups keep
    >>> on
    >>> coming onto my computer and I cant let my kids use the pc till I have
    >>> got rid
    >>> of it...PLEASE, SOMEONE MUST KNOW WHAT TO DO

    >> Run these 3 programs, all free
    >> Lavasoft Adaware SE
    >> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
    >>
    >> Spybot - Search and Destroy
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >>

    >> HijackThis
    >>
    >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    >>

    >> --
    >> William

    I wouldn't recommend any Beta products to anyone, these products are not
    supported. And the MS Ant-Spyware Beta has some bugs in it.

    --
    William

    WTC, Jan 29, 2005