my E drive has disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was having problems with opening my CD ROM/E drive, so when I went and investigated, I discovered that my computer does not recognize it at all. When browsing the device manager, there is no E drive listed. What does that mean? Can I recover it? If so, how? Please, I'm desperate. I can't insert CD software discs that contain information I need to download new programs.

Reaction score
Suggest you open up the case and check all the leads are connected ok?

Reaction score
Hello welcome:wave:

Did it suddenly stop working?

Reaction score
itsme said:
Hello welcome:wave:

Did it suddenly stop working?
Thanks.

Yes, a couple months ago. But I wasn't worried about it then because I didn't need to insert discs for anything. Now that I have to, I'm frazzled, to say the least. I don't know what to do.

Reaction score
feckit said:
Suggest you open up the case and check all the leads are connected ok?

Probably a good piece of advice, but I wouldn't know what to even look for.

Reaction score
What spec is you PC? and what OS is it XP?

Reaction score
Do this> Right click my computer on your desktop> go to properties and click>now choose hardware go to device manager have a look for you CD/DVD Rom> tell me whats in there.

Reaction score
itsme said:
Do this> Right click my computer on your desktop> go to properties and click>now choose hardware go to device manager have a look for you CD/DVD Rom> tell me whats in there.

yeah, that's what i did when i realized that it's not there. haha.

Reaction score
Have you any idea as to how to check the leads in the PC ????????? Don`t try unless you know how to??????

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
makesweetwar said:
yeah, that's what i did when i realized that it's not there. haha.
... then it's dead. hahahahahaha

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
itsme said:
Have you any idea as to how to check the leads in the PC ????????? Don`t try unless you know how to??????

nope. i guess i'll have to take it to a repair shop. thanks.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Don't bother taking it to a repair shop - it will cost alot more to repair than buying a new one.

You can get DVD-ROMs (plays CD's & DVD's) for under £20 - buy one and we can help you install it, its very easy
nod.gif

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Don't bother taking it to a repair shop - it will cost alot more to repair than buying a new one.

You can get DVD-ROMs (plays CD's & DVD's) for under £20 - buy one and we can help you install it, its very easy
nod.gif

Yeah, my friend said it's so easy "even a lowly woman could do it." So I think that's what I'm going to do...I don't even know how to open the stupid case, though.

Reaction score
Trust me it is not your leads/wires...nothing came loose. I had this problem awhile back. Don't go into your PC case. The problem is not in there. I'll have to search back and find out about this problem for you. Don't know how long it'll take just wanted you to know that it is not with any wires being loose.

Okay, I'm back. What happened was that you lost your driver to your E drive. Right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager. Click the + sign next to CDROM. Click the first device listed under CDROM to highlight it. Click Remove to remove the CDROM device driver. Click OK for confirmation. Repeat these steps to remove all CD/DVD device drivers. Close System Properties Box. Restart your computer/reboot. When your PC restarts, windows will reinstall all the drivers again.
Note: If the CD/DVD icon is missing in My Computer, visit the following web site to install a patch:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sir Pef said:
Trust me it is not your leads/wires...nothing came loose. I had this problem awhile back. Don't go into your PC case. The problem is not in there. I'll have to search back and find out about this problem for you. Don't know how long it'll take just wanted you to know that it is not with any wires being loose.

Okay, I'm back. What happened was that you lost your driver to your E drive. Right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager. Click the + sign next to CDROM. Click the first device listed under CDROM to highlight it. Click Remove to remove the CDROM device driver. Click OK for confirmation. Repeat these steps to remove all CD/DVD device drivers. Close System Properties Box. Restart your computer/reboot. When your PC restarts, windows will reinstall all the drivers again.
Note: If the CD/DVD icon is missing in My Computer, visit the following web site to install a patch:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

haha, it reinstalled the driver but immediately after i get an error message saying it detected problems when reinstalling the driver and it "might not work properly." more like, does not work at all. i think i just need new hardware. thanks for the help, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question