    Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
    All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.

    sn

    snomazushi, Nov 4, 2009

  2. snomazushi

    Jose Guest

    On Nov 4, 5:06 pm, "snomazushi" <> wrote:
    > Windows XP Home SP2
    >
    > For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my desktop
    > folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
    >
    > Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
    > All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
    >
    > sn

    Perform some scans for malicious software first, then fix any
    remaining issues:

    Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
    detection programs:

    Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

    They can be uninstalled later if desired.

    Jose, Nov 4, 2009

  3. snomazushi

    Bob I Guest

    If not malware, take a look in Start, Programs, Startup.

    Bob I, Nov 4, 2009
  4. snomazushi

    SPAMCOP User Guest

    I agree with Bob basically but it could also be the registry run keys having
    an invalid path

    START | RUN | type REGEDIT & press ENTER

    Navigate to:

    and

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    Check in the right pane for the offending item & delete it

    Close the registry editor

    Remember: before deleting anything in the registry use FILE menu | EXPORT,
    choose a filename & path then click SAVE to make a backup

    --
    SPAMCOP User

    SPAMCOP User, Nov 4, 2009
  5. snomazushi

    snomazushi Guest

    Thank you for your comments.

    No, it isn't a malware. Legitimate folder opens up.

    I looked inside the startup but am unable to find entry for such folder
    staring up.

    sn

    snomazushi, Nov 5, 2009
  6. snomazushi

    snomazushi Guest

    Thank you for your comments.

    No, it isn't a malware. Legitimate folder opens up.

    I looked inside the startup but am unable to find entry for such folder
    staring up.

    Per other gentleman's comments, I believe it may be the registry run keys
    having an invalid path

    sn

    snomazushi, Nov 5, 2009
  7. snomazushi

    snomazushi Guest

    hi

    thank you for your comments. Let me take a look at your suggestion.

    sn from zushi, japan

    snomazushi, Nov 5, 2009
  8. snomazushi

    VanguardLH Guest

    snomazushi wrote:

    > Windows XP Home SP2
    >
    > For some reason all of a sudden recently, when Windows starts up, my desktop
    > folder opens up. I have no idea why such batch program started running.
    >
    > Can someone be kind enough to tell me how I can stop this from happening.
    > All I want is the display of my desktop when Windows starts up.
    >
    > sn

    Use Autoruns from SysInternals (now owned by Microsoft). It shows all
    the startup locations, not just those with which users are familiar or
    shown by the msconfig.exe tool. My guess is that you removed malware
    but left some remnants behind. The malware's executable file may have
    been removed as a startup item but not its parameters. Without the
    parameters, and if they specify a path to a folder, then what is left is
    just a "command" that points at the folder. With just the path
    specified, Windows Explorer opens to show the contents of that path.

    VanguardLH, Nov 5, 2009
  9. snomazushi

    snomazushi Guest

    thank you for your comments