Windows XP My computer wont start

Reaction score
Well, my flatmate, not me. He tried to update his BIOS. He thinks he might have installed the wrong version, and now his computer wont start-up. Is there any way of fixing it trhrough mobo settings? The computer wont boot off Floppy disks, we`ve tried. Any and all help grateful. :) cheers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you get a black screen on boot up?

There is a chance that if you copy your original ROM onto a floppy disk and insert it upon boot up that it will read this file. Also, if it is an old PC, try an ISA graphics card. Some motherboards have a floppy failsafe, and will display some text on an old ISA graphics card (only with quite old PCs mind you).

You may have to a) Get a new BIOS chip from the motherboard manufacturer or b) Get a new motherboard :eek:

Reaction score
or may i add a third...

(c) borrow a bios chip from a machine with same bios insert into mobo, get hold of the correct bios version, but the correct version on floppy disk, insert the disk, when you get to the bios flash utility, swop the bios chips back around then run the flash.

Never tried this but it apparently works. anybody else tried it???

Ask a Question