Windows XP My Computer stuck on "Searching for items..."

Reaction score
For the past few weeks or so, I've had a recurring problem with My Computer and other folders within. Whenever browsing through My Computer, My Documents, etc., after changing through a few directories, the window will lock up with the flashlight icon and displays the message "Searching for items..." It's inevitable; everytime I've gone to explore files itl happens. Sometimes it freezes right away, sometimes after a few minutes. At this point I must close it through the Task Manager, then I will be able to open it back up again. But once again, I can only go so far before it will repeat itself. It's not any specific folder that it happens in, just general folder browsing.

I probably should have looked into this earlier, but I figured it would have worked itself out eventually. Unfortunately, it hasn't

I've tried to search other places for similar problems, but it seems that a scanner may cause this from time to time. I don't have a scanner hooked up, so that's definitely not the problem. Thanks in advance for the help.

Reaction score
Hiya mate welcome to the forum.

Could you provide us with a bit more info on you system specs please?

Reaction score
Sure, just realized the sticky up there

* Operating System: Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
* Anti Virus Software : McAfee SecurityCenter
* Anti Spyware Software : AdAware, Yahoo Anti-Spy
* How do you connect to the net : High Speed Cable via Linksys Wireless Router
* Your Computer Specifications - Toshiba Satellite M55-S3293 Laptop

I only have 1 USB hardware item hooked up, that being a wireless mouse that I've had for over a year. Need anything else?

Ask a Question