MVPS HOSTS File Update [10-10-05]

Randy Knobloch

'Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File'
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip (77 kb)
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt (340 kb)

How To: Download and Extract the HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts2.htm

HOSTS File - Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

Note: the "text" version also make a good reference for determining culprit
URLs.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

Reply to group, as return address
is invalid that we may all benefit.

ObiWan

Just a note; there's a quick and easy system to keep
your blocking hosts file up to date, you will need the
following program

http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/

that is "wget" for windows; extract the program into
whatever suitable folder or just create a new one
(e.g. c:\updhosts), then, create the following script
inside the same folder

@echo off
wget -nd -N http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt
copy /Y hosts.txt %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
exit

and schedule it to run at the desired frequency, the above
will download a new copy of the MVPs hosts file *only* if
the one on site is newer than the local one and will then
proceed updating the local hosts file

btw the above script may be improved (e.g. using "fc" to check
if we have an updated copy of the file or not) but it will work as is
and help keeping your blocking list up to date

HTH

--

* ObiWan

Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/MVP/MVP.mspx
http://italy.mvps.org

DNS "fail-safe" for Windows clients.
http://www.ntcanuck.com

Newsgroups and forums
http://forums.ntcanuck.com

408+ XP/2000 tweaks and tips
http://www.ntcanuck.com/tq/Tip_Quarry.htm

Randy Knobloch

ObiWan said:
[...]

Hi ObiWan!

Thanks for the interesting comment - noted and forwarded to the author
of the file.

Regards,
Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

Reply to group, as return address
is invalid that we may all benefit.