    Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
    matter and to whom I should pay attention?

    Massimo

    Massimo, Aug 1, 2012

  2. Massimo

    Paul Guest

    Massimo wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
    >
    > Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
    > matter and to whom I should pay attention?
    >
    > Massimo

    If you buy a 550MB/sec SSD, it won't get the full speed from a
    300MB/sec laptop SATA interface. This does not affect the operation
    at all, just your expectations of the speed should be reduced.

    *******

    SSD drives draw different amounts of DC power. A hard drive, might
    use about 2 watts during read/write. Some of the early SSD drives
    used higher power levels. This is an issue if the hard drive bay
    in your laptop, normally gets hot. (This has even been a problem
    in the past, with replacing a 5400 RPM HDD with a 7200 RPM HDD.
    Some of those would overheat, because the cooling was so poor.)

    To give an example:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233227

    Power Consumption (Idle) 0.4W
    Power Consumption (Active) 7.3W

    Now, such an SSD drive might not spend much time doing read/write, so
    you could argue the time spent in the 7.3W state is minuscule. But
    the drives also re-arrange data internally, when they're not busy
    doing other things. Which can consume some power. If a drive has
    been abused by doing a random 4K write test, it might take
    half the night for the drive to re-arrange data internally.

    Now, we compare to another SSD drive.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

    Power Consumption (Idle) 0.08W
    Power Consumption (Active) 0.12W

    Those values are unbelievably good. Should we trust such a declaration ?
    If the SSD had eight channels internally, and 8 flash chips doing write
    or erase at the same time, would the total power be only 0.12W ?

    If I pick a laptop HDD at random:

    WD Scorpio Black 250 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD2500BEKT)

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=790

    Power Dissipation

    Read/Write 2.50 Watts
    Idle 0.85 Watts
    Standby 0.25 Watts
    Sleep 0.15 Watts

    That's to give some idea what the laptop would normally have in it.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 1, 2012

  3. Massimo

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Massimo <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
    >
    > Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
    > matter and to whom I should pay attention?
    >
    > Massimo

    Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te verminderen.

    Sjouke Burry, Aug 1, 2012
  4. Massimo

    tb Guest

    tb, Aug 1, 2012
  5. Massimo

    Massimo Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:20:02 -0400, Paul <> wrote:

    >Massimo wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
    >>
    >> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
    >> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
    >>
    >> Massimo

    >If you buy a 550MB/sec SSD, it won't get the full speed from a
    >300MB/sec laptop SATA interface. This does not affect the operation
    >at all, just your expectations of the speed should be reduced.

    I know. The biggest gain would be in shorter load/open times. High
    iops will be most important.
    >*******
    >
    >SSD drives draw different amounts of DC power. A hard drive, might
    >use about 2 watts during read/write. Some of the early SSD drives
    >used higher power levels. This is an issue if the hard drive bay
    >in your laptop, normally gets hot. (This has even been a problem
    >in the past, with replacing a 5400 RPM HDD with a 7200 RPM HDD.
    >Some of those would overheat, because the cooling was so poor.)
    >
    >To give an example:
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233227
    >
    > Power Consumption (Idle) 0.4W
    > Power Consumption (Active) 7.3W
    >
    >Now, such an SSD drive might not spend much time doing read/write, so
    >you could argue the time spent in the 7.3W state is minuscule. But
    >the drives also re-arrange data internally, when they're not busy
    >doing other things. Which can consume some power. If a drive has
    >been abused by doing a random 4K write test, it might take
    >half the night for the drive to re-arrange data internally.
    >
    >Now, we compare to another SSD drive.
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164
    >
    > Power Consumption (Idle) 0.08W
    > Power Consumption (Active) 0.12W

    So the power consumption of the drive certainly is something to pay
    attention to. Allright.

    >Those values are unbelievably good. Should we trust such a declaration ?
    >If the SSD had eight channels internally, and 8 flash chips doing write
    >or erase at the same time, would the total power be only 0.12W ?
    >
    >If I pick a laptop HDD at random:
    >
    >WD Scorpio Black 250 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD2500BEKT)
    >
    >http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=790
    >
    > Power Dissipation
    >
    > Read/Write 2.50 Watts
    > Idle 0.85 Watts
    > Standby 0.25 Watts
    > Sleep 0.15 Watts
    >
    >That's to give some idea what the laptop would normally have in it.

    Uh. o.k.

    > Paul

    Thank you for your comments Paul.
    --------------------------------
    So it is not necessary to look at the interface? No smaller interface
    model needed?

    Massimo

    Massimo, Aug 1, 2012
  6. Massimo

    Massimo Guest

    On 01 Aug 2012 16:43:24 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:

    >Massimo <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
    >>
    >> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
    >> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
    >>
    >> Massimo
    >>

    >Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te verminderen.

    Hoe heet de software waar je nu op hint?

    Bedankt Sjouke,

    Massimo

    Massimo, Aug 1, 2012
  7. Massimo

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Massimo <> wrote in

    > On 01 Aug 2012 16:43:24 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:
    >
    >>Massimo <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
    >>>
    >>> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things
    >>> that matter and to whom I should pay attention?
    >>>
    >>> Massimo
    >>>

    >>Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te
    >>verminderen.

    > Hoe heet de software waar je nu op hint?
    >
    > Bedankt Sjouke,
    >
    > Massimo

    Heb alleen in een nieuwsgroep iemand anders horen vertellen
    dat er software/instellingen van M$ afkomstig zijn, om
    de schrijfacties te minimaliseren op deze schijven.
    Die zijn nl. schadelijk voor deze disks.
    Probeer google.

    Sjouke Burry, Aug 1, 2012
  8. Massimo

    Massimo Guest

    On 01 Aug 2012 20:43:28 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:

    >Massimo <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 01 Aug 2012 16:43:24 GMT, Sjouke Burry <s@b> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Massimo <> wrote in

    >>>Bij microsoft software ophalen, om het schrijven naar disk te
    >>>verminderen.

    >> Hoe heet de software waar je nu op hint?
    >>
    >> Bedankt Sjouke,
    >>
    >> Massimo
    >>

    >Heb alleen in een nieuwsgroep iemand anders horen vertellen
    >dat er software/instellingen van M$ afkomstig zijn, om
    >de schrijfacties te minimaliseren op deze schijven.
    >Die zijn nl. schadelijk voor deze disks.
    >Probeer google.

    Okay, Sjouke

    Massimo

    Massimo, Aug 2, 2012
  9. Massimo

    Massimo Guest

    On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:13:47 +0000 (UTC), "tb" <>
    wrote:

    >On 8/1/2012 at 6:33:15 AM Massimo wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am thinking about replacing the hdd of someone I know by a ssd.
    >>
    >> Ik know the ssd must not be too thick but are there other things that
    >> matter and to whom I should pay attention?
    >>
    >> Massimo

    >This article might help you:
    >http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/some-ugliness-installing-an-after-market-ssd/

    Thanks for the url. I read it with pleasure.
    The problems the author talks about will however easily be avoided by
    me. :)

    Massimo

    Massimo, Aug 2, 2012