Music. What are you listening to right now?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I seem to be listening to a lot of power ballads recently. Been doing a lot of redecorating at home and it helps motivate me :D

:dance:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The Glory of Gershwin, old classics sung by modern singers such as Kate Bush, Elton John, Sting, Cher, Meatloaf etc. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The Glory of Gershwin, old classics sung by modern singers such as Kate Bush, Elton John, Sting, Cher, Meatloaf etc. :)

I do love a bit of Gershwin! Rhapsody in Blue is an all time favourite of mine, as is Summertime from Porgy & Bess:

Gives me goosebumps :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I do love a bit of Gershwin! Rhapsody in Blue is an all time favourite of mine, as is Summertime from Porgy & Bess:

:thumb:

Yes, Summertime, one of the most covered songs of all time with 33,000 versions according to Wikipedia.

And the lyrics have been highly praised by Stephen Sondheim. Writing of the opening line, he says

That "and" is worth a great deal of attention. I would write "Summertime when" but that "and" sets up a tone, a whole poetic tone, not to mention a whole kind of diction that is going to be used in the play; an informal, uneducated diction and a stream of consciousness, as in many of the songs like "My Man's Gone Now". It's the exact right word, and that word is worth its weight in gold. "Summertime when the livin' is easy" is a boring line compared to "Summertime and". The choices of "ands" [and] "buts" become almost traumatic as you are writing a lyric – or should, anyway – because each one weighs so much.

That's very interesting. I never even gave it a thought. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Beautiful! :thumb:

I've had this track stuck in my head since seeing a trailer for the Suicide Squad yesterday...

Reaction score
I just love Gershwin! Rhapsody in Blue, I suppose I am a bit old fashioned I love Big band and Swing, The Rat Pack, African and South American ethnic music, 1940's, 50's and 60's, Country and American Folk oh Enya love her got all her discs, Brass and Military Bands. Sorry I don't like most of the modern pop though.:lol:

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooh, that was awesome @V_R - got to be honest, I've not heard of Disturbed before, but I'm going in search of more of their offerings.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ooh, that was awesome @V_R - got to be honest, I've not heard of Disturbed before, but I'm going in search of more of their offerings.
Me too, that was great VR

Ha! Yeah urmmm most of their stuff ain't like that! lol. They're quite a heavy band usually, the guy does have a great voice. :)

Ten Thousand Fists is also good. ;)

Here's some more similar offerings from other bands that are usually a fair bit more antisocial....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan, have lots of their stuff on vinyl including a couple of originals bought back in the day.

I am not a huge jazz fan, in fact if asked I will say I don't like it, generally speaking wind instruments make my toes curl. However, there are exceptions and amongst my digital collection are offerings from the likes of Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane.

I also have on vinyl Miles Davis' Sketches From Spain.

Yesterday went for a stroll round Soho and visited a few used record shops but nothing took my fancy. So Made my way to HMV in Oxford Street and bought Jeff Buckleys' triple vinyl LP 'Sketches for My Sweetheart The Drunk'.

I noticed there was a copy of Ella and Louie by Ella Fitzgerald & Louie Armstrong for £3.99. Now although I care not much for jazz, that's a class duo so I bought one. Only 11 tracks, the digital version has around 20 tracks. Recorded in 1956 when I was but five years old, this sounds quite incredible on vinyl. Here's one track from it:

Ask a Question