Music search by duration: Windows Desktop Search

Discussion in 'Windows XP Music' started by jva1254, Feb 10, 2009.

  1. jva1254

    jva1254 Guest

    Using "Windows Desktop Search" , I tried to find some songs by
    duration(minutes and seconds, less than or more than certain duration, i.e 3
    mins ~4 mins). As advised from "Windows Desktop Search Help"- Properties for
    file type: Music, I typed the syntax like this *.mp3 kind:music and found
    there are some items in the head such as title, artists, album as well as
    duration, but no values(min:sec) under the duration column from the whole 846
    files(songs). Also " *.mp3 kind:music duration:4:02" shows nothing found.

    In the Window Explorer, I can see the duration of the songs(but cannot
    define by the duration when searching).

    'Help and Support Centre' from Search Companion, it says;
    To change the appearance of Search Companion
    Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
    Click Change preferences.
    Click Change files and folders search behavior.
    Click Standard to be able to search for a variety of things, such as files,
    folders, and people, from one location.
    -or- Click Advanced to quickly display the options to search for files and
    folders.

    Where can I find Change preferences? Is there something that I am missing or
    do I have to reinstall Windows?

    XP Professional V 2002 SP 2 Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8GHz, 1.50Gb Ram

    jva1254, Feb 10, 2009

  2. jva1254

    Orange Guest

    "jva1254" <> wrote in message
    > Using "Windows Desktop Search" , I tried to find some songs by
    > duration(minutes and seconds, less than or more than certain duration, i.e
    > 3
    > mins ~4 mins). As advised from "Windows Desktop Search Help"- Properties
    > for
    > file type: Music, I typed the syntax like this *.mp3 kind:music and found
    > there are some items in the head such as title, artists, album as well as
    > duration, but no values(min:sec) under the duration column from the whole
    > 846
    > files(songs). Also " *.mp3 kind:music duration:4:02" shows nothing found.
    >
    > In the Window Explorer, I can see the duration of the songs(but cannot
    > define by the duration when searching).
    >
    > 'Help and Support Centre' from Search Companion, it says;
    > To change the appearance of Search Companion
    > Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
    > Click Change preferences.
    > Click Change files and folders search behavior.
    > Click Standard to be able to search for a variety of things, such as
    > files,
    > folders, and people, from one location.
    > -or- Click Advanced to quickly display the options to search for files and
    > folders.
    >
    > Where can I find Change preferences? Is there something that I am missing
    > or
    > do I have to reinstall Windows?
    >

    > XP Professional V 2002 SP 2 Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.8GHz, 1.50Gb Ram

    No ***PLEASE *** don't re-install. What good will it do you ?

    My suggestion is a as follows :

    Don't use Desktop Seach, use the ordinary Windows Seach (bottom left hand
    corner of the Windows Desktop window).

    In All or part of the File type in *.mp3.

    Do a search..

    When you have the results right click on one of the header bars (Name, for
    example) and make sure Duration is checked in the drop down menu you'll see.

    Once Duration is shown, click on it once with the mouse. That will sort your
    mp3's by length (duration). You can then see which ones are between the time
    duration you want.

    I can't think of another way to do it.

    Cheers,
    Jerry

    Orange, Feb 10, 2009

  3. jva1254

    jva1254 Guest

    Re: Music search by duration: Windows Desktop Search -- Thank you lots

    Dear Jerry.

    Thank you so much for the kind advise. In fact I do the search as such you
    instructed me. I presumed new Windows Search could help for my need to find
    those certain duration of the songs, that I haven't utilized. Still though it
    would be better that we can define the duration say between 3 and 4 minutes.
    Anyhow you kind advise has eased me for more struggling. I would highly
    appreciate your time and contributon. Jae

    jva1254, Mar 2, 2009