Music Format Conversion

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

Can this be done??

Changing music on CD format to MP3 format to allow existing CD collection to be stored on MP3 player.

If it can't be done, any other thoughts?

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It can indeed be done! Windows Media Player is probably your best bet to "rip" music from the CD to your drive, and then this can be copied to an MP3 player.

Quad and Floppy have both posted some good links to CD Ripping software, but I can't remember the URLs off the top of my head.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Ian

I am sure that it's easy but it does sound a tad technical. Anyone able to point me to the threads or do me an ABC version??

Thanks for the swift response!!

Gabriella x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
using windows media player is easy, first make sure that it is set to 'rip' in mp3

go to tools>options>rip music ,then change the format to MP3 the quality should be 128K this is fine you can make it higher but this makes the track sizes bigger which is ok if you have room on your MP3 player and dont mind waiting slightly longer to put the tracks onto the player.

then insert a cd go to the rip window select the tracks you want and click rip music

the tracks should be put in your My Music folder if not there is a file root at the bottom of the rip window of where they are

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Me_2001

Thanks for that - will give it a go and see what happens!

May need to come back to people if I get stuck!

Kind regards

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

We have media player 10 and I there isn't the tool bar as described above (tools-options-rip music etc...). Can you help further?

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if theres no bar at the top then double click on the player just above one of the window tabs or you'll need to exit the skin mode if using one

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear all

We have media player 10 and I there isn't the tool bar as described above (tools-options-rip music etc...). Can you help further?

Kind regards

Gabriella x
Pop a music CD into your drive, when the 'Auto-insert' box pops up ...

Attachments

• ripwm10.jpg
    ripwm10.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 415

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Mucks

Thanks for your reply. We have 2 problems:

1 The CD/DVD drive isn't happening at the moment (see my other post)
2 I am not sure what your post above means

Please bear with me, as people will know PCs are not my area of expertise and I am struggling not just with the copying music to MP3 format but also with the fact that the CD/DVD drive has suddenly stopped behaving itself!!!

I think I need some sort of course as this PC is driving me nuts....I sort out the spyware problem (courtesy of kind people on this site) and then something else goes wonky on me!!!!!

I perhaps need a live in or on call advisor, the stress levels are to the maxx at present!!!!!!

Thanks all

Gabriella x

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
To explain my last post ...
If everything is working correctly (and it really looks like you have a faulty CD/DVD ROM drive) then merely inserting any CD would call up the "auto-insert-notification" box as in the attached pic' ... from there you "rip" the CD and Windows will do the rest.

You have had an uphill battle with your PC for some time now ... would it not be better to call in someone who could better advise what indeed is going wrong with your system.

It would be at least a 4hour journey for me.

:(

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Mucks

As we speak, I have a person coming out on Monday to look at this PC. The spyware angle is well sorted (bless you!) but the CD/DVD issue is now a major problem.

I feel like a complete and total failure but I guess that we are all good at something and for me, PC maintenance and fault finding is nor one of them.

Thanks for your response.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Last edited:

Ask a Question