Multiple Stop Errors

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Setup' started by Guest, Jul 8, 2004.

    I would like to thank in advance any help anyone offers to my dilemma. I have scoured the net looking for solutions and could not find any.
    (I will post all system information at the end of this post).

    Problem 1 - Unexplained Reboots
    Often times when I turn on my desktop, Windows begins to load and the computer simply reboots itself during the splash screen. Sometimes after I log in. Sometimes when I turn Winamp. It basically reboots whenever it feels like it with no warning or stop error. This happens some of the time.

    Problem 2 - 1st Stop Error
    This stop error is very infrequent, but when it does creep up, it goes a little something like this:

    **STOP: 0x00000028 (0x0019025E, 0xAEE910E4, 0xAEE90D3C, 0x88D52BF1)
    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

    When this happens, I run chkdsk on all my partitions, and it never returns an error. Chkdsk always finishes without any errors to report, ever. However, this stop error is very infrequent, so I don't worry about it too much.

    Problem 3 - 2nd Stop Error
    Here's the 2nd one:

    **STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

    This one is very frequent. I know the 0x08 means there is a double fault. However, I don't know how to locate or fix the problem. Sometimes I have to reboot several times before windows 2000 loads completely.

    Problem 4 - 3rd Stop Error (man my comp is really screwed up)
    **STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    This one is less frequent than the last, but seems to happen every time I try to play a DVD.

    Win2KPro Service Pack 4
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (ver. 1)
    GFX - ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro 128MB
    HD's - 2 x 40GB Seagate Barracuda
    CD-RW - ASUS 48x24x52x
    DVD-RW - SONY 510-A

    Voltages taken using Motherboard Monitor 5
    Voltage Readout[1] : 1.584
    Voltage Readout[2] : 2.5979
    Voltage Readout[3] : 3.296
    Voltage Readout[4] : 4.992
    Voltage Readout[5] : 12.096
    Voltage Readout[6] : -11.98912
    Voltage Readout[7] : -5.33104

    Temperatures taken using temp. probes:
    CPU: 38C idle 47C load
    GPU: 36C idle 52C load

    Microsoft Memory Diagnostic program passed with extended tests on.
    Seagate hard drive utility scanned hard drives with not errors.
    I have checked all the capacitors on the motherboard and do not see any bulging or leaking.

    The link below will take you to a page listing I/O, Conflicts/Sharing, and IRQ's reports taken from within Win2KPro.

    Most of the time, I have to reboot the system numerous times before I am able to log into windows. Even then, it is unstable and reboots or give me stop errors. At first I thought it was the graphics card, but I recently replaced that. I have tried reformatting multiple times to no avail. The same errors seem to creep up every time.
    --
    -stephano

    Guest, Jul 8, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Almost always a hardware and or driver issue.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Jul 8, 2004

    Thanks for the tip Dave. Any tips on how to debug the dump files? I've been trying to determine which driver it is (assuming it isn't a hardware problem, which is a BIG assumption). In your experience, have problems like these been more often a hardware failure or a bad third-party driver?
    --
    -stephano

    Guest, Jul 8, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    This article may help. It really could be either as far as the hardware or
    driver.

    Dave Patrick, Jul 8, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    More likely is non-compliant hardware and or system bios.

    --

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    |I have decided to do a clean install of Windows 2000 Professional, to
    determine step by step (as tedious as it is) which drivers, when installed,
    begins this constant barrage of stop errors. However, I've run into a snag.
    After booting from the Win2K CD and installing the necessary files on a
    newly formatted partition, the computer reboots and begins loading windows.
    After the splash screen, the customary screen for entering setup information
    is displayed. Then the computer unexpectedly reboots itself. Upon the next
    reboot, the same thing happens again. Could this be indicative of a greater
    malady other than driver incompatibility?

    Dave Patrick, Jul 8, 2004

    I believe I have determined the reboots to be caused by the graphics card. If there is no hardware malfunction, but instead an incompatibility caused by windows attempting to identify the display adapter, what steps should I take to install Win2K when it keep rebooting before the files are copied after the splash screen?
    --
    -stephano

    Guest, Jul 8, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Try another graphics adapter to get you through the install.

    Dave Patrick, Jul 8, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Check that the mother board and system bios are Windows 2000 compatible.
    Also check that you're using the correct driver for the drive controller.
    You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
    ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
    setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --

    "sjwoo" wrote:
    | Tried a different graphics card that is Win2K compatible, and the system
    now reboots by itself when windows is copying files from the CD to the hard
    drive during install after the splash screen or during the time windows is
    trying to detect hardware during install. Please advise.

    | Thank-you for the help you have provided thus far. This is much more
    information than I could have hoped for.

    Dave Patrick, Jul 8, 2004

    The 2 seagate baracuda 80GB hard drives are Ultra ATA/100. Integrated RAID function on the motherboard is DISABLED.
    --
    -stephano

    Guest, Jul 9, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your ultra ATA controller in drive "A"

    Dave Patrick, Jul 10, 2004

    I loaded the ATA100 drivers and re-installed Win2K. However, during driver install of Win2K setup, I received the following Stop error.

    **STOP 0x0000001E (0.80000003, 0x90d4E6E9, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    --
    -stephano

    Guest, Jul 10, 2004

    Dave Patrick, Jul 10, 2004

    The motherboard and bios are windows 2000 compatible. I have switched the hard drives (slave(HD1) -> master, master(HD2) -> slave) to see if they are at fault. When I created a new partition on HD1, the os left 2mb unpartitioned. However, when I've tried to install win2k on HD2 previously, the os left 8mb unpartitioned. What might this mean?
    --
    -stephano

    Guest, Jul 10, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Stop errors are almost always caused by incorrect drivers, hardware failure,
    or possibly incorrectly identified hardware and non-compliant hardware. Try
    removing all non-essential hardware and get through the install. Then after
    the OS is installed add the hardware in one at a time.

    Dave Patrick, Jul 11, 2004

    I have removed all non-essential hardware. I have 1 hard drive and 1 cd-rom
    installed as well as the gfx card. I re-installed Windows 2000 Professional
    after formatting the drive and the error I recieved was as follows:

    **STOP (0x80000004, 0x80466E08, 0xF1E80C1E, 0x0000F000)
    KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

    **Address 80466E08 base at 80400000, Datestamp 384d5a76 - ntoskrnl.exe
    **Address F1E80C1E base at F1E80000, Datestamp 3817847b - PCIIDEX.SYS

    What might this mean? I have checked the memory and the hard drive, both of
    which are fine. Could the motherboard be bad?

    Guest, Aug 5, 2004

    Dave Patrick Guest

    PCIIDEX.SYS is an IDE controller driver. You might want to get in touch with
    the MB manufacturer.

    Dave Patrick, Aug 6, 2004

    I have decided to RMA my motherboard after hundreds of tries to get this
    system up and going again. I hope to have a new board within the next week or
    so. Thanks for all your help Dave. You've been more knowledgable than anyone
    else I have spoken to regarding these stop errors. Thanks again.

    Guest, Aug 6, 2004

    Pridedyanky

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yet another stop error

    i keep randomly getting this stop error..

    0x000000D1 (0x00000001, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x00000001)

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    I've never seen this error before. Always a new surprise.

    Pridedyanky, Jul 17, 2010