Multiple Relationship between 2 tables

Reaction score
I've been using Access for a while, and even though I consider myself quite good at it, I've become a bit rusty and I'm not really sure how to do certain things.

Anyway, here's the scenario I'm having problems with. Two tables, one "Employee", the other "Department". I want to have two relationships between these tables. The first is a one-to-one, where a department is managed by only one employee, and an employee may manage one and only one department. The second is a one-to-many, where an employee belongs to only one department and a department can have more than one employee.

The tables look like this in normalised form:

EMPLOYEE (Employee_ID, First_Name, Last_Name, Gender, DOB, Age, Job_Title, Job_Description, Department_ID*, Email, Phone_Number_VPN, Employment_Status)

DEPARTMENT (Department_ID, Department_Name, Department_Description, Room_Number, Manager_ID*)

When I create these relationships in Access, however, things don't work out the way I want them to. For one, unless an employee is managing the same department in which he belongs to, his details never come out in any query.

So, how do I solve this?

Cheers

Ask a Question