Multiple PC's shutting down unexpectedly

Reaction score
In the last week or 2 we have had numerous complaints (15+ so far) about computers shutting down at night. Looking at the System event logs, there are no updates going out (in any case, they would have rebooted), but there are events for most, if not all, for a proper shut down somewhere between 4-5 AM - all are shutting down at different times. The outages are all over the building (3 floors), as well as some at other locations, and in most cases happen for several days. All computers are on working UPS, and there have been no notices from the server UPS units about power outages. We have 3 different makes and models affected, all running WinXP. There are no group policies set to force a shut down, and the power settings are not set for shut down.
Has anybody ever come across anything like this?

Thank you,
Jon

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are these pcs free of any infection? This is a odd problem and the only thing I can think of that would cause this is an infection somewhere.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
check the cleaning crew ... and the electricity supply, I hear it's crap in the US.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Fixed - idiotic Kaspersky setting

Wizkid, thank you for getting me on the right track! I don't know why I didn't consider that before. I've narrowed it down to Kaspersky. Whenever we either run a full scan, or start and stop a scan, a minute after the scan completes (or is stopped manually), the system does a regular shut down.
-----------------------
Okay, don't I feel dumb. There's a switch in the group's scan task to shut down the PC after the scan runs. This option is kind of buried in the task settings, which I don't normally look at as a lowly tech. After turning this switch off, of course the PCs don't shut down after the scan completes.

Reaction score
mark7tenor said:
Wizkid, thank you for getting me on the right track! I don't know why I didn't consider that before. I've narrowed it down to Kaspersky. Whenever we either run a full scan, or start and stop a scan, a minute after the scan completes (or is stopped manually), the system does a regular shut down.
-----------------------
Okay, don't I feel dumb. There's a switch in the group's scan task to shut down the PC after the scan runs. This option is kind of buried in the task settings, which I don't normally look at as a lowly tech. After turning this switch off, of course the PCs don't shut down after the scan completes.

Glad to hear that you have fixed this problem, so you are now able to scan with Kaspersky without the pc shutting off? In Kaspersky its self there is an option to shut the PC off when the scan is completed this is probably the setting that you have turned off.

Regards,

Wizkid

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Glad to hear that you have fixed this problem, so you are now able to scan with Kaspersky without the pc shutting off? In Kaspersky its self there is an option to shut the PC off when the scan is completed this is probably the setting that you have turned off.

Regards,

Wizkid

Exactly. We have no idea how that option got turned on for the group. Nobody fessed up to changing it, and our Network Admin is out for the week.

Reaction score
mark7tenor said:
Exactly. We have no idea how that option got turned on for the group. Nobody fessed up to changing it, and our Network Admin is out for the week.

I'm am glad that you have found out the problem. :)

Post back anytime if you need anymore help.

Regards

Ask a Question